Oz/Kiwi Sport

Young and Nichols looking uncomfortable. Is it the green deck or technique Pete? I did note that Young is playing away from his body when driving.

Wellington' doesn't really get that much spin, the pitch is more about pace & bounce - would've still liked a spinner at the Basin to give our attack more variation... it's crazy though that Santner was selected in the squad as a spinner when he can't even spin the bloody ball.

This ground is the Basin Reserve, it's only used for cricket, has a great atmosphere having the grass banks & trees etc.
Westpac Stadium is more like a concrete jungle, that's where we played the West Indies in those 2020's, also the rugby is played there... recently Westpac Stadium had a name change, it is now called Sky Stadium.
Gotcha. Basin Reserve. Looks a neat little boutique stadium. Pity you aren't out watching it live.

Wonder if NZ Cricket dumped Westpac as ground naming sponsor after the Aussie banks controversy of last year.

Yeah mate, would be great to be on the grass banks with a beer watching the match :thumbsu:

The Westpac sponsorship deal come to an end a few months back... so Sky purchased the naming rights.

Wellington' doesn't really get that much spin, the pitch is more about pace & bounce

Looks to have plenty of bounce not a lot of pace from what I have seen mate. I think you said Kiwi greentops dont offer much seam movement. Yet both Nichols and Young struggled, against, it must be said, some fairly decent Windies bowling.

Last edited:
BCs in a reasonably strong position at stumps Pete. Nichols gutsed in out but honestly he cudda been out half a dozen times.

Yeah we're in a decent position... luckily the Windies try to catch the ball with their eyes shut otherwise our position would be much worse.

Wellington' doesn't really get that much spin, the pitch is more about pace & bounce

Looks to have plenty of bounce not a lot of pace from what I have seen mate. I think you said Kiwi greentops dont offer much seam movement. Yet both Nichols and Young struggled, against, it must be said, some fairly decent Windies bowling.
The pitch still had good pace - Kiwi wickets don't normally seam that much, usually a bit for the first session then they're like roads... in this case it rained for 4 days in a row in Wellington leading up to the test, including some very heavy rain where some places were flooded out, so wasn't expecting any cricket to be played on day one at all.

Your all rounder Jamieson looks more than a handy cricketer Pete. He has been a good contributor with both bat and ball times I have seen him play.

I think Green is a once in a generation player mate. Is Jamieson?

I tell you something the towering young star and his fellow next genner Pucovski need to stay away from wayward balls. Both have now been sconed in the past week. Both will now definitely miss the first Test with mild concussion. Not a bad thing.

Last edited:
Very poor bowling and fielding by the Windies in this morning's session Pete. Has the BCs in a strong position.

Mate, their fielding is absolutely awful - school kids could field better than that... the Windies are very lucky Williamson isn't playing as he probably would've of scored another 250 plus 😉

I think Green is a once in a generation player mate. Is Jamieson?

I tell you something the towering young star and his fellow next genner Pucovski need to stay away from wayward balls. Both have now been sconed in the past week. Both will now definitely miss the first Test with mild concussion. Not a bad thing.
I don't think we can rate either player too much yet - teams analyse their weaknesses through videos etc then work them out a bit, from there it's up to individuals to adjust & improve in an area of their game... can't really rate either of them until they've really played in a good amount of tests.

Not great news that both of them had head knocks ... as with head knocks in any sport you can't afford to play them too soon after knocks like that.

Of course. Time will tell. Lets compared the two after 20 tests. Jamieson is pushing 26 yet only played 31 FC matches. A late starter? His batting average needs work @20 but has started his international career terrifically with 144 runs and 13 wickets from only three matches (figured he's played more) both at respectable averages.. specially with the ball.

Last edited:
Nichols made the most with his luck. Top knock. Handy dig from Wagner. But deplorable discipline from this Windies attack and field gave BCs an additional 100 runs to put them fair and squarely in the box seat.

Pete no surprise to me that Tim Southee prefers bowling on his home tracks. Of his 289 Test wickets.. 176 are in NZ. He is a trouper in every sense of the word and still good for a few more years.

Nichols made the most with his luck. Top knock. Handy dig from Wagner. But deplorable discipline from this Windies attack and field gave BCs an additional 100 runs to put them fair and squarely in the box seat.
He was very lucky - wasn't a flash knock, but did a great job for the team... yeah Windies bowling wasn't great, but their catching was an absolute shocker, no excuses whatsoever, was just a total lack of focus/concentration.

Last edited:
Of course. Time will tell. Lets compared the two after 20 tests. Jamieson is pushing 26 yet only played 31 FC matches. A late starter? His batting average needs work @20 but has started his international career terrifically with 144 runs and 13 wickets from only three matches (figured he's played more) both at respectable averages.. specially with the ball.
Yeah, Jamieson has come in a bit later, but some time that's a good thing as a player has a bit more maturity... Jamieson needs to learn to play better off the back foot, he got out trying to drive which was the wrong shot to play, but he'll adjust & learn from that.

Oh dear Bravo pops a regulation ball back to Southee. You always know with Tim he will not give you much. Always at the stumps.

Back