• Australia

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 13 100.0%
  • Pakistan

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Re: Pakistan in Australia

Ponting goes, short ball from Aamer is pulled high but isn't controlled and Salman Butt takes the catch.

2/32.

Bloody hell, Healy's homerism pisses me off. "Oh, Huss must have hit it, he wouldn't appeal it if he hadn't got an edge". FFS. :rolleyes:

Umpire's call, Hussey out LBW.

Finishing strong after a collapse. 3/111, 307 ahead at stumps.

Gonna need 7 wickets in the first two overs to really have a hope of chasing this down at all, even then they would probably bat for a draw.

I would also like to show my gratitude towards Johnson's bowling. Best by far, an outstanding few spells over the past couple of days. Going for 1.7 an over for 22 overs and getting 3 wickets as well. That's almost like Tait bowling like McGrath. Keep it up big fella.

Don't think Ponting will ever be accused of a lack of trust in Johnson. He usually bowls him like he's going out of fashion.

Johnson bowled 22 overs, the most was Siddle with 24 who had the worst economy of them all and only had one good wicket, the other was a tailender. Don't think I'm slagging him off though, cause he had an economy rate of 3.5 and got 2 wickets. Just shows you how well Johnson did IMHO.

My mistake. I just looked at the raw figures and concluded Johnson mustn't have bowled much. Not like him to keep things tight, but a great sign that he did.

I won't take the bait completely with your none-too-subtle dig at Siddle, except to say that he took the one good wicket Pakistan have - at a crucial time too. One over ruined his figures, but that's cricket. Bollinger's wickets were all tailenders, though his figures will tell you he went through their line-up. Brett Lee made a career out of it. The argument could go on forever.

It's like Hussey's recent runs. They are on the board, but the way he has made them can be strongly debated. (He used up all his lives in England, now he's determined to use up all his team's challenges in order to cling onto his greatness!)

Sober Symonds;382345 said:
Brett Lee made a career out of it.
I am going to dispel this myth.

I just went through every single one of his bowling innings. 233 of his 310 wickets were top 7 batsmen. Give or take 5 for human error. That's 75.16%.

I know you're a guy who is happy to have an opinion proven wrong though, which I respect.

I know it seems I went to a lot of effort, but I really wanted to see if it was true for myself.

breeno;382353 said:

I just went through every single one of his bowling innings. 233 of his 310 wickets were top 7 batsmen. Give or take 5 for human error. That's 75.16%.

I know you're a guy who is happy to have an opinion proven wrong though, which I respect.

I know it seems I went to a lot of effort, but I really wanted to see if it was true for myself.

Thank you for backing up my unending arguments!

Although with Warnie in your team for your whole career with him getting almost all the wickets, there wasn't much time to go getting tailenders out.

Although it is damn funny to go watching them try and play inswinging yorkers. My favourite viewing. :D

Kram81;382238 said:
I'm surprised by Ponting's aggressive deceleration.

Yeah so was I, and a lot of people in general were. The only other declaration I can remember that was along the same lines was when he declared and set SA a target of 340 odd to get in the last innings at the MCG in the 2005/06 season.

On another forum (Big footy) some clowns were abusing Ponting for the move - it seems Ponting can't do anything right by those armchair experts. These people argued that he had let Pakistan into the game.

I think it's also important in the context of our developing attack that they are exposed to certain situations. The case at the WACA a few days ago was a case in point.

Defending 360 odd is a lot different to defending 500. 360 doesn't leave a lot of room for crap bowling on the WACA surface, getting the experience of bowling last defending a realistic target is vital to develop our bowlers, rather then racking up a unattainable lead of 500. I'd take the latter any day, but it is still important that every now and then our bowlers are put into a position where if they don't perform then we could lose.

Bowling against Pakistan when the deck was at its best is another important point in their development. Bowl poorly in that first innings and Pakistan could quite easily match that first innings total.

These are little things, but down the track they will pay off.

It reminds me of the Brisbane Lions AFL team when they were unbeatable. They had a shocking record in close games, which the Lions always seemed to lose. Normally they'd belt teams into submission but whenever it got tight then often we'd lose the game, it was like we were never in that position often and didn't know what to do, of course the 2002 AFL Grand Final was a notable exception.

I can still remember Aker's gather late in the 4th QTR, and left foot snap straight through the middle that won us the game.

Eddie surely loves the Aker man? :D

2001, 2002, 2003 Premiers.

breeno;382353 said:

Since you've gone to all that trouble, I will again concede. Perhaps it was later in his career that he relied on lower-order conquests to boost his figures. It's more a perception. Early on, I'm sure he made more inroads into the top orders of other sides. (But I wouldn't expect you to break it down to that extent!)

Sober Symonds;382386 said:
Since you've gone to all that trouble, I will again concede. Perhaps it was later in his career that he relied on lower-order conquests to boost his figures. It's more a perception. Early on, I'm sure he made more inroads into the top orders of other sides. (But I wouldn't expect you to break it down to that extent!)

Haha yeah, I don't want to, but I knew that point would come up so I made some mental notes.

Later on in his career I noticed he dropped a little bit (right towards the end), but his purple patch against India in Australia after McGrath retired he was ripping through top orders IIRC.

Gee this kid is impressive. Great action, plenty of aggression and can swing it Irish.
Don't care if he is actually 17 or 21, it's just a pleasure to watch a young bowler make his mark on the international stage.

bushie;382397 said:
Gee this kid is impressive. Great action, plenty of aggression and can swing it Irish.
Don't care if he is actually 17 or 21, it's just a pleasure to watch a young bowler make his mark on the international stage.

I agree, he has a bit of spark about him, something Pakistani cricket has needed.

Oh no, Watson has made it to 98 n.o. but it's lunch time now....

He had his chance to score his first big one but he had to leave it till lunch again. If he keeps doing that and thinking about it over the break he's never going to get it.

Well done to Johnson, has become the fifth ever player to score 500 runs and take 50 wickets in a calendar year. Not a bad effort if you ask me.

Watson now on 99.

Dropped on 99, so he runs through for his 100. Well deserved, he's turning into a class player.

If Rauf caught that I could have sworn I would have killed someone.

Very well done to Watson. Still did that little choking thing of his over the break, but luck was on his side today. One really good 100 that included being knocked around quite a bit and he really deserves it.

If he bats like what he does domestically, now that he has managed to secure his 100 we should see some better strokeplay with plenty of runs scored quickly.

Back