• Australia

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 13 100.0%
  • Pakistan

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Re: Pakistan in Australia

I would be playing North next Test, I mean he has had a bit of bad luck here and there in regards to being part of a collapse under immense bowling pressure or just coming in at a bad time, getting an extra good ball at the start of his innings. Nothing super, but the selectors may give him a bit of leeway considering in his past 6 innings he has scored a 60 and a 50.

If he gets dropped I can't see him going too far from the team, perhaps he could return when there is a proper spot up the order for him. Not some temporary, knee jerk reaction which he has capitalised on.

If North goes then Siddle has to go first.

Anyone give us a chance of winning?

I reckon we need a 120 at least, there are some storms forecast for tomorrow, with some cloud around I reckon we could still be a slight chance.

If one team is to be skittled for 80 then it is Pakistan.

Can't see it to be honest, but if they can managed to put up a 120 lead or more then it is one of those tricky little chases. You think you have it in the bag when you start but are a little overconfident and good bowling undoes you.

Hussey has to go out tomorrow, get his eye in and bat for his hundred. He has played well so far despite the three drops and can get this hundred. Siddle reminds me a little bit of Dizzy Gillespie. Gillespie was the walking forward defence, could defend all day long. Siddle has a strong technique and has gotten out playing a shot almost every time. He needs to stick around for another 50 or so balls and give Huss the strike if any of this is to happen. Bollinger has to bat for his life. The pitch will be good tomorrow, should be no overnight rain but if there is then it will make it harder for the Pakistanis to get their runs.

Then Johnson has to bowl well. He is the key in all of this, he is the bowler that has won these matches before and he really has to put his hand up. Expect the bowlers to be tied up with Bollinger, but they will have plenty of time and Bollinger likes to get them playing their strokes so not sure if he will be so influencial. Hauritz needs to do what Keneria has done but with more economy. Not going to mention Siddle because he does nothing anyway.

Siddle has the advantage of no one to take his spot, Australia have plenty of quality batsmen around though and despite showing he isnt up to it, if North does go expect it to be Hughes who replaces him

As I said in another thread, I wouldn't mind it if Hughes got the gig at no.6. He can be blooded into the team and is there ready for a place as an opener at the case of Katich retiring or losing form or Watson faltering.

Personally though I think the game has shaped in such a way that even a number 6 batsman has a particular role and points that make them that batsman or not. It's normally a spot where top order batsman are placed early in their career until someone moves out of the road for them. But we have seen in the past how important it is to have a good number 6 and 7. The number of times Gilly had to blast out an innings at the end to put them on track is uncountable. It's a changing game with T20 having it's effect, a number 6 should be a batsman with a higher strike rate ready to play their shots and either pull the team out of a collapse or add quick runs onto the end of and innings and not hold people up with the captain waiting for a century off of 200 balls before he declares. They also have to be able to bat with the tail. North isn't really that player, and neither is Hughes. I don't like just seeing a top order batsman plonked down there. The game has evolved and number 6 isn't just your worst recognised batsman anymore where they are protected.

Im not really into making wholesale changes, if Katich is fit then he should come into the side and Hughes out.

Hughes didn't take his chance, if he had got a decent score you could argue for Katich to go down the order and Hughes to partner Watson but alas I doubt that will happen.

If you were to drop North and debut another guy then he has one test to make a mark, if he fails people will start saying 'well who is going to go to New Zealand'?

I don't really think we are at a stage to start dropping batsmen.

Just the knee jerk reaction to most likely losing this Test will make something happen...

bushie;383208 said:
George Bailey. Fine young talent who deserves a chance.

Anyone who says C. White is either victorian centric or on something illegal.

Yes, heaven forbid we suggest picking a guy who averages 42, has some experience at international level and can bowl a bit over a guy who averages 39, has never played senior international cricket and has 1 wicket for his career. That would be stupid, wouldn't it?

George Bailey | Cricket Players and Officials | Cricinfo.com
Cameron White | Cricket Players and Officials | Cricinfo.com

The Ox;383281 said:
Yes, heaven forbid we suggest picking a guy who averages 42, has some experience at international level and can bowl a bit over a guy who averages 39, has never played senior international cricket and has 1 wicket for his career. That would be stupid, wouldn't it?

George Bailey | Cricket Players and Officials | Cricinfo.com
Cameron White | Cricket Players and Officials | Cricinfo.com
Plus his good winter with the ODI side would count in his favour to go with his 2 very good recent Shield seasons

Pakistan should wrap up the game by tea on day four provided the weather doesn't get in the way. The only thing Australia has in its favour is the weather and the fact that rain is forecast for the next two days. But I don't think the weather will be poor enough for Australia to earn a draw.

I can't see Australia getting a lead of more than 120. Pakistan may lose a couple of wickets in the chase but they should make the target quite easily.

The only positives I can think of at the moment.

1) We got the runs, and they have to get them

Really just shaking my head at our performance, shocking batting, you'd think we'd never played the game.

Australia clawing their way back into it with a lead of 115. Let's hope that we make 150+.

167 lead now at lunch, amazing batting by the aussies with the never say die attitude impressed by both hussey looks in touch finally. Pakistan look desperate wouldn't be surprised to see a collapse.

feeling vindicated about my last comment that this should be Australia's game at the beginning of their second innings. 6 down with 70 odd runs still to get Australia are now hot favourites. Just imagine how much more convincing Australia's victory would be if they had made a decent total in the second innings.

Sensational effort by Peter Siddle with the bat to support Mike Hussey for over 2 1/2 hours and that partnership won Australia the match

But I see the Hughes lovefest continues, had a shocking match yet they interview him

Pakistan were bowled out for 139 in what was a fairly ordinary batting display. Umar Akmal batted well for 49 but threw his wicket away going for a big drive off Doug Bollinger which was caught by Johnson running to his left. Umar was the 8th wicket to fall and pretty much signalled the end of Pakistan's chances at winning the game.

Earlier, Australia scrambled to 381 all out, Michael Hussey top scored with 134 not out and Peter Siddle provided great support with a gutsy 38 as Australia batted right through the morning session without losing a wicket.

From there, the Australian bowlers did the damage, Hauritz claimed 5/53, spinning Australia to victory, Johnson supported well with three wickets and Bollinger picked up two.

Michael Hussey was Man of the Match.

Even as a diehard Aussie fans, it's hard not to feel sorry for Pakistan. At the end of the day Kamran the keeper lost the game for his team, and you never like to see that.

The abuse levelled at Ponting for batting was a disgrace, to me it was no-brainer at the SCG to always bat when you win the toss, because batting last is hard work, the history of the ground is littered with teams that have tried and failed to chase modest targets batting last.

A great victory, but it must be tempered with the fact that skill errors cost Pakistan the game rather then any Australian brillance.

Back