Pakistan vs Australia in United Arab Emirates

Ljp86

Staff member
Pakistan vs Australia in United Arab Emirates

Pakistan take on Australia in the United Arab Emirates in a series of one-day games in Abu Dhabi and Dubai. The two sides will play five ODI's and one Twenty20 in a tour which lasts only a couple of weeks.

After losing to South Africa in the one-dayers, Australia will be keen to play well against Pakistan who will still be recovering from the attacks on Sri Lanka's tour of their country. Pakistan played well in patches but Sri Lanka proved to have their measure once they got going.

Should be a good little series. Brett Lee is out of this series by the way, his ankle is still not right for bowling according to the Australian medical team. Doug Bollinger is in as his replacement and is a big chance to make his ODI debut.

Lee still not fit for UAE one-dayers

April

Wed 22nd (D/N): 1st ODI - Pakistan v Australia at Dubai Sports City Cricket Stadium (14:30 local, 10:30 GMT)

Fri 24th (D/N): 2nd ODI - Pakistan v Australia at Dubai Sports City Cricket Stadium (14:30 local, 10:30 GMT)

Mon 27th (D/N): 3rd ODI - Pakistan v Australia at Sheikh Zayed Stadium, Abu Dhabi (14:30 local, 10:30 GMT)

May

Fri 1st (D/N): 4th ODI - Pakistan v Australia at Sheikh Zayed Stadium, Abu Dhabi (14:30 local, 10:30 GMT)

Sun 3rd (D/N): 5th ODI - Pakistan v Australia at Sheikh Zayed Stadium, Abu Dhabi (14:30 local, 10:30 GMT)

Thu 7th: Only T20I - Pakistan v Australia at Dubai Sports City Cricket Stadium (times TBA)

Squads

Pakistan XV: *Younis Khan, Ahmed Shehzad, Fawad Alam, Iftikhar Anjum, +Kamran Akmal, Misbah-ul-Haq, Nasir Jamshed, Saeed Amjal, Salman Butt, Shahid Afridi, Shoaib Akhtar, Shoaib Malik, Sohail Tanvir, Umar Gul, Yasir Arafat

Australia XIV: *Michael Clarke, +Brad Haddin, Doug Bollinger, Nathan Bracken, Callum Ferguson, Brett Geeves, Nathan Hauritz, Ben Hilfenhaus, James Hopes, David Hussey, Ben Laughlin, Shaun Marsh, Andrew Symonds, Shane Watson

Re: Pakistan vs Australia in United Arab Emirates

Despite the talent at their disposal, Pakistan are hampered by the lack of international matches in recent times.

Should be a good series but Australia should clinch it.

I'm having trouble getting excited. The pitches are going to be total roads, and it's not much more than an opportunity to make some cash before the Ashes.

Not that I don't think Pakistan are worth playing. I was just thinking the other day... is 1998 really the last time we toured for a Test series?

Caesar;345024 said:
I'm having trouble getting excited.

I agree with you to be honest but then again I'm English :p

In all honesty, it's little more than a warm up for the Ashes from the Australian point of view and a bit of a test run for the Pakistani team. See how things pan out before they decide whether or not to go with the UEA ground for while.

Then again, I really think money will win out and will see series featuring Pakistan being played in England.

We should be confident (as always) of winning this series but Pakistan would have to be the most inconsistent and unpredictable nation in the world. Their best and us not being at our best and we could very easily lose as they can beat anyone on their day but their worst is hopeless.
Would have thought Stuart Clark was a very good chance of returning for this series myself.

its a pretty soft side we"re sending, i wouldnt under estimate pakistan for 1 second with their backs to the wall, they"ll want to win this one badly to make a statment.

Ljp86;345000 said:
Australia XII: *Michael Clarke, +Brad Haddin, Doug Bollinger, Brett Geeves, Nathan Hauritz, Ben Hilfenhaus, James Hopes, David Hussey, Ben Laughlin, Shaun Marsh, Andrew Symonds, Shane Watson

I'm pretty sure Bracken and Ferguson are both in the squad, never trust cricinfo ;)

eddiesmith;345185 said:
I'm pretty sure Bracken and Ferguson are both in the squad, never trust cricinfo ;)

You are right. I should probably check the CA site first. :eek:

Cricinfo are usually very good though, surprised they messed it up this time.

There is only one member of the pakistans squad who's selection i would doubt and that is shoaib akhtar, the guy is a druggie and his bowling is nowhere as devastating as it was in his younger days, Also his weight gain hasen't helped him either the guy looks more set as a weightlifter than a fastbowler. Not a good move by pcb, They should pick one of the quicks from the U19 squad, a squad which has alot of talent and has got alot of potential for the future. No point in continuing with the washed up junkies despite their experience. It should be a good series but i think the pakistani's will exploit the aussies batting with their trio of spinners, whom i reckon will consist of Malik,Afridi and the new guy Ajmal ( He can bowl the doosra -legally.)

Ljp86;345197 said:
You are right. I should probably check the CA site first. :eek:

Cricinfo are usually very good though, surprised they messed it up this time.
I know they are, I saw that last week and was trying to figure out why the coach and others were on the team list then I noticed the squad was a bit short

What a bowling effort by Shahid Afridi, 6 wickets which lead the collapse of Australia, and 2 wickets for the offspinner. Pakistan used their spinners well to exploit the futile Aussie middle order. Hopefully pakistan can knock these runs off without any unneccessary risks.

Australia were all out for 168. Haddin and Watson both made 40 and James Hopes helped Australia get to something defendable with 48 not out, including putting on 46 for the last wicket with Hilfenhaus. Shaun Marsh made 16, pulling a hamstring doing so. Shahid Afridi took career-best figures of 6-38 and Saeed Amjal snared 2/19 as Australia's struggle against the spinners continues.

Pakistan are 4/113 in reply, Kamran Akmal made 48 and Shoaib Malik scored 24. James Hopes has two wickets, Hilfenhaus took one and Stuart Clark the other.

Hopes has been Australia's best one-day player for probably the last three months or so. He would have been Australia's best player in the games against South Africa and he was in very good form in the games back in Australia a few months ago. Without Hopes, Australia would be a massive hole. As far as I'm concerned, he's their best all-rounder at the moment, this Symonds/Watson/White argument is invalid.

Terrible over from Hilfenhaus but he gets a wicket, Afridi tried to finish the game in one over and attempted to launch one into the stratosphere but it was mistimed and Bracken took an easy catch at mid-on.

5/138, Australia still have a pulse at this point. Nasir Jamshed, the opener for Pakistan, is injured and Salman Butt is going to run for him. Misbah on 15.

31 needed from 15.2 overs.

I must say I was super disappointed today with Australia.. they played in a magnificent stadium with an up and down wicket and looked really out of their depth.. or am I clutching at straws?

Some facts on the ground in Dubai.

“This stadium, together with the ICC Global Cricket Academy which is located onsite, will serve as a global centre of excellence for cricket. Tomorrow’s match between two of the world’s best sides is further testament to the potential of this facility as a truly international venue for test, one-day international, and Twenty:20 cricket matches.”

From its inception, Dubai Sports City board members set out to build a best-in-class facility, to ICC standards, from the design of its roof structure based on the traditional Arabic tent, to the meticulous detail shown in the construction and maintenance of the pitch which simulates playing conditions on surfaces from three different continents.

The Dubai Sports City Cricket Stadium is bowl shaped, providing excellent views from every seat in the ground and simultaneously bringing the spectators closer than ever to the action.

The player’s changing rooms will be among the most luxurious and spacious of any cricket ground in the world. With indoor and outdoor pitch-side seating, physiotherapy and massage rooms, a raised lounge with a view of the pitch, locker rooms and dining areas, the Dubai Sports City cricket stadium will provide the world-class player with everything they need.

Within the media centre there are 82 indoor press seats with cable and wireless internet connection and excellent views of the stadium. The exceptionally well appointed VVIP and Gold boxes will hold more than 100 people, with 24 luxurious boxes on the lower level adjacent to VVIP and Gold Boxes and 17 high quality corporate boxes looking out on to the pitch from the top level of the venue.

Designed by world-renowned architects Gerkan, Marg, and Partner (GMP) – famous for their work on Berlin Olympic Stadium and Commerzbank Arena in Frankfurt – the Dubai Sports City cricket stadium will boast state-of-the-art facilities for players, match officials, VIPs, spectators, and the media.

Dubai Sports City Cricket Stadium Opens Tomorrow

80738_dubai-sports-city-helicopto.jpg

There you have it: the luxurious change rooms, massage facilities, etc. Knowing the likes of metrosexual rockstars such as Michael Clarke, Shane Watson and to a lesser extent Nathan Bracken, there were probably bigger issues such as tanning salons, pedicures and elite hairdressers to act as distractions. We've gone soft. Steve Waugh probably couldn't bare watching anymore. Pakistan have never been at a lower point in their cricketing history, and we got rolled over like a Jesuit Priest inside Gaddafi Stadium at Christmas time.

Now now- Your boy is one of those guys who's body image and hair style is just as important as your ability! :p

67133.jpg

el-capitano;345861 said:
Now now- Your boy is one of those guys who's body image and hair style is just as important as your ability! :p

... and there you have it, El-Capitano. Need I say more.

It is precisely the thing which has led to our decline in performance standards in recent years. Marketing means more to Cricket Australia than results - don't be mistaken. Brett Lee has gone on tours and performed awfully, half-fit; Symonds continues to be re-selected despite doing everything he can to be cast aside then doing nothing "on the road back"; and Watson repeatedly lets his supporters and his side down with his mental and physical fragility, offering nothing more than potential after 8 years on the verge.
Any why? Because they're the strong & tanned, golden-haired Weet-Bix/KFC/King Gee/ACB poster boys and they are worth more to CA than unfashionable types who might otherwise offer something more reliable in terms of output on the cricket field. Can't generate big bucks sitting round in domestic cricket - put 'em up in the national team where they can get exposure and we can make money out of them.

Doccaau;345865 said:
Do you STILL have that photo as your desktop wallpaper El Cap?
Well you were the one who sent it to me slightly sticky and a bit crumpled up! ;)

Back