Phillip Hughes- Maiden Test Century

Re: Phillip Hughes- Maiden Test Century

swifty_147;334012 said:
how old is he?
20 years of age.:)
All the hype looks like it's been justified and there will be plenty more to come, but with all the comparisons of previous players, the worst he could turn out to be like is Michael Clarke.
May slow down from here slightly and might be given a spell out of the side due to form and inconsistency, but will be back and be a member of the side for many, many years.:cool:
Could be a superstar in the making here.

We'll see. He's heavily reliant on scoring on the off side, and his technique is pretty unorthodox. I wouldn't be surprised if a good bowling attack eventually worked out a way to shut him down.

Looks good at the moment though.

Caesar;334964 said:
We'll see. He's heavily reliant on scoring on the off side, and his technique is pretty unorthodox. I wouldn't be surprised if a good bowling attack eventually worked out a way to shut him down.

They thought they'd done that after his 75. He replied with two centuries in two innings. By all reports, he's a very quick learner, very quick to adapt to different bowling strategies. I'm excited!

Buddy23#;334817 said:
Man he's got some crazy footwork going on. Don't think many coaches are going to tell players to play like him, but it's working for him.

Agree.
Freakishly good player at the Cut shot.

BabyBlues;334981 said:
They thought they'd done that after his 75. He replied with two centuries in two innings. By all reports, he's a very quick learner, very quick to adapt to different bowling strategies. I'm excited!
Like I said, we'll see. Personally I think all the hype is a bit overdone at this stage. I disagree that SA figured him out and he adapted - he's essentially got out by playing stupid shots so far. He's only played two matches - I expect a stiffer Test to come during the Ashes or a later series, when the opposition have had a chance to analyse his playing.

I think if you get a canny captain and a good bowling attack who devise a strategy to target him, we might see him struggle a bit more. Pin him down from playing his cut shot and force him to play more through the leg side, and you may see some different results. Also, his footwork is fairly clumsy despite the fact he more than makes up for it by being freakishly quick. As he gets older and the reflexes dull a little, it may cause him some issues.

I think he's definitely going to be a good player for Australia going forward (hopefully he doesn't end up as a Greg Blewett) but all these comparisons to Bradman are fairly overwrought.

Shouldn't be compared to Bradman.

But he is very good. He is very unorthodox and hard to bowl to. That, combined with his ability to adjust to different bowling strategies quickly, will make him incredibly dangerous.

Not the best one day player, but has a good 20/20 record. Probably will be mainly a test cricketer though.

Caesar;335532 said:
Like I said, we'll see. Personally I think all the hype is a bit overdone at this stage. I disagree that SA figured him out and he adapted - he's essentially got out by playing stupid shots so far. He's only played two matches - I expect a stiffer Test to come during the Ashes or a later series, when the opposition have had a chance to analyse his playing.

I think if you get a canny captain and a good bowling attack who devise a strategy to target him, we might see him struggle a bit more. Pin him down from playing his cut shot and force him to play more through the leg side, and you may see some different results. Also, his footwork is fairly clumsy despite the fact he more than makes up for it by being freakishly quick. As he gets older and the reflexes dull a little, it may cause him some issues.

I think he's definitely going to be a good player for Australia going forward (hopefully he doesn't end up as a Greg Blewett) but all these comparisons to Bradman are fairly overwrought.
Looks like this has happened. England have really got onto him by stacking the off side, and targeting his body. His unorthodox style has made it difficult for him to deal with fast bowling aimed at his upper body.

I am annoyed he was dropped, IMO it was the wrong move. But how does he get back in the team? It would bother me if he changed his unique style too much, but he needs to develop more effective cross-bat plays to deal with the awkward stuff. Also, better footwork - he's lightening fast, but we've seen that he can't rely on that the whole time now.

its gonna be very hard for him to get back in the side. i dont think this watson 'experiment' will last long, although it is working well so far.

i expect jaques to be back when fit and if scoring once again, and he deserves the spot IMO.

hughes is a very good batsman and i like players that are unorthodox, just look at how well malinga is going, just because he is different. hes just too young. hes got to get some years in domestic cricket first. and also remember that every batsman HAS to be dropped sometime in their career. its a fact of life and shows them they arent expendable.

i feel sorry for hayden, being forced to retire because of everyone pushing the new kid hughes. he would have wanted just the one more ashes...
i believe it was the wrong choice to drop hayden from the ODI side. that showed him he wasnt wanted. hayden always got his form back in tests from one dayers, like what happened in the IPL. hes in blistering form.
just think if the public believed in hayden then he could be the top run scorer for this ashes and winning us matches. damn newbies.

Boris;359493 said:
i expect jaques to be back when fit and if scoring once again, and he deserves the spot IMO.

Really... Jaques deserves the spot. An injury plagued season, with little else that can be said. Meanwhile there were several prolific scorers among the state openers. Jaques needs runs, a lot of them. Klinger and Rogers to name just two have got to be ahead of hin right now (and one of them should have been on the tour).

As much as it pains me to say this Watson would still have played if we had a spare opener, but in the spot of Hussey. Maybe I see what I believe (and not the other way around) with Hussey I just feel he is close to turning it around, but even I am starting to think that's rubbish.

I have a great record of writing players off just be fore they turn it around (said Hayden was in decline post 2005 ashes... that was smart) so maybe I will write Hussey off and hope I am wrong.

In terms of Hughes he will get back, in the Australian Summer. There is no way any bat is getting dropped for the fifth test (if Hussey continues to hold his spot). The selectors don't necessarily need to persist with Hughes, but they must be clear about what he needs to do to get back in, bu to be honest he seems ready to go at any minute when batting and we don't want him crushed into a Bell style player.

Hughes reminds me a lot of Hayden in his early days- he had a spectacular debut, a spectacular crash to Earth and i think it will be a long time until he plays another Test. it will be interesting to see if he has the moxy to keep plugging away for a few years until he gets another chance, and then whether he can make the most of it. the real pitty is that he probably won't be going on the next tour of India- how good would he be there?
does anybody think that Watson, who usually gets injured bowling, might be better served giving the bowling away and concentrating on his batting? i for one wrote him off as an opener but he has really shown some skill there.

bren122;359556 said:
Hughes reminds me a lot of Hayden in his early days- he had a spectacular debut, a spectacular crash to Earth and i think it will be a long time until he plays another Test. it will be interesting to see if he has the moxy to keep plugging away for a few years until he gets another chance, and then whether he can make the most of it. the real pitty is that he probably won't be going on the next tour of India- how good would he be there?
does anybody think that Watson, who usually gets injured bowling, might be better served giving the bowling away and concentrating on his batting? i for one wrote him off as an opener but he has really shown some skill there.

hayden is my favourite player to ever wear the australian colours in any form of the game, so if hughes is going to be just like him i will be very grateful.

i want watson to bowl, mostly because all in all i think his bowling is better then his batting. maybe not at the moment, but his batting form varies, his bowling doesnt. i would only tell him to give it up if he knew he would have a high chance of injuring himself.

although he is a bit of a butterfingers when it comes to catching, he is also australias best fielder at the moment. clarke, ponting and hussey (also north) have all been moved into the slips now so the cover ring is void of great fielders (hauritz is pretty good though). i dont know if you have noticed but australia's fielding is uninspiring lately and rather boring. watson showed me entertainment in the fourth test with many a brilliant piece of ground fielding. damn i miss symonds...

whilst not 'sexy' the fielding of both sides was pretty good. i have been watching some old World Series Games highlights from the 80's and they don't get near some of the balls today's players routinely stop. personally i still think that Jonty Rhodes was the world's best fieldsman- he was worth at least 30 runs a match just from his fielding.
if watson had to rely on his batting instead of the selectors looking for the world's next great all-rounder it would focus his mind on his batting. i am no fan of watson but if he is going to be a feature in the side then he should be doing something that is going to see him last out the match. he is not a great bowler- at best he is capable of surprising the batsman on a friendly pitch- so i don't think we lose much if he concentrates on his batting and maybe sends down 5 or 10 overs every so often.

surprisingly i think of watson as a bowling all rounder in ODIs, but not the same in tests. i like his bowling more then his batting. but saying that i wouldnt have him the side for his bowling alone. i would like to see him get out at least 10 overs an innings and from that i expect one wicket. north isnt an all rounder and it is an increasing trend to have one in the side, which i like doing. its always good to have a batsman that is capable of getting a wicket or two. but that shouldnt be his main focus. he is an opener, the second most important batting position in the team. he has to bat and has to bat well. thats where his focus should be, and no doubtedly is.

i agree that he was good in India, but Watson has injury issues. how many series has he be sent home from or failed to go on because of a bowling injury? i didn't think he would do well as an opening bat but he looks as comfortable as Langer or Hayden did in their hayday- if he's going alright and we are having such issues with the openers, and he has worked out well so far, why not get as much out of it as we can? i am not saying never bowl again, but it seems silly to be pushing a guy to bowl who just keeps injuring himself.

I was replying to someone who said they didn't rate Watsons bowling.

Back