Renewables Versus Fossil Fuels.

Richie

Staff member
This is something close to my heart as I look ahead for a cleaner future for my children's children and theirs. As we move well into the 21st century we humans have to start thinking about our future energy needs. . What will run our industries, homes and transport over the coming decades and beyond. Do we want to continue to dirty our atmosphere by using fossil fuels or do we want to breath clean air by transferring to renewable energies? Comments.

I am not that naive to suggest that the planet can go to 100% renewables overnite. It needs to be a measured approach between reducing fossil fuel usage and introducing more renewable fuels. Only this week the Australian government announced a major push for gas exploration and production to replace an aging coal fired plant earmarked for decommission in 2022. Its aim is to make existing hi CO2 emission fossil fuels such as gas cleaner by using carbon capture technology. The other big story is the governments push to establish a regional hydrogen export hub from gas-produced hydrogen coupled with carbon capture and storage. So while Australia has an eye to the future it is essential for our economy that we continue to milk the bounty from existing fossil fuel production and export.

yeah mate, we don't want to continue to pollute the world - as you say it's going to be gradual process to convert to the cleaner & safer fuel... the sooner we can get to that goal the better, especially with us having to deal with the coronavirus factor as well.

Researchers from RMIT have successfully harnessed hydrogen using biosolids and biogas..by-products from wastewater treatment.

The patented technology uses a special material derived from the by products that sparks a chemical reaction.
The process means all materials needed for hydrogen production could be sourced on-site at a wastewater treatment plant, without the need for expensive catalysts.

The technology also traps the carbon found in biosolids and biogas, which could in future enable a near zero-emission wastewater sector.

Australian company Sun Cable plans to develop the world's largest solar farm with the purpose of exporting clean energy to both Australia and South East Asia.. The $20 billion project the Australia-ASEAN Power Link (AAPL), is being backed by Atlassian's Mike Cannon-Brookes and Fortescue Metal's Andrew Forrest and will be built on the vast Northern Territory cattle station Newcastle Waters . The end game of the project is to supply renewable electricity to both the NT and then via a 4,500-kilometre undersea cable to the ASEAN nations..primarily Singapore and Indonesia.

The AAPL which is estimated to take between 5/7 years to develop and implement will integrate three technology groups - the world’s largest battery, the world’s largest solar farm, and the high voltage direct current (HVDC) transmission cable from a solar/storage facility to the NT and onto South East Asia connecting Australia into the ASEAN Power Grid. Before work commences on the ambitious project Sun Cable needs environmental approval from the NT Government.

Last edited:
Yeah, it does mate... but I suppose in the 70's we probably would not have believed they would have all this great technology they have today.
Definitely. Kinda proud that Australia is now embracing future technology and occasionally showing the way. When you think about it Mal, utilising the sun is a no brainer given a good part of the Oz interior can get so hot you can fry an egg on your car's bonnet.

Last edited:
The Aussie technology is very impressive Richie... got to take advantage of the sun.

Aussie is more humid than NZ - in NZ though the heat from the sun can be absolutely brutal, at times it feels like it could burn a hole in your skull... I remember when we played a cricket test against England, it started at 11am & about an hour later the Barmy Army supporters looked a very similar colour to our orange lobster crayfish 😁
😆

Australian lithium-ion battery manufacturer, Energy Renaissance will develop a world-class defence-grade cybersecure Battery Management System (BMS) for its SuperStorage family of batteries that are to be manufactured in Tomago, a town in country NSW.

These batteries, which will be optimised to perform in hot climates will power stationary grids and microgrids, renewables, community storage, mining electrification, SilentWatch defense applications plus buses, light commercial and industrial vehicles.

The A$1.46 million BMS project is jointly funded and developed by ER, Australia’s national science agency, CSIRO and Innovative Manufacturing CRC (IMCRC). The BMS will monitor and report on the battery’s usage, lifespan. Communicating through an inverter, the system will enable secure real-time data, analytics and remote management to drive down the risk of battery failure and operating costs for grid-scale energy storage users.

Construction of the facility will kick off this month with full-scale battery production expected in October.

Last edited:
Australia will become the first nation to credit abatement from large-scale carbon capture and storage projects. Under the new Emissions Reduction Fund method announced on Friday by the Australian Govt. , large-scale projects that capture and permanently store carbon underground can be awarded tradeable high-integrity units, known as Australian Carbon Credit Units or ACCUs.
This world-first method will position Australia to scale up clean LNG production and make use of her abundant geological storage potential. It will also support hydrogen production from coal and gas.

Last edited:
Australia will become the first nation to credit abatement from large-scale carbon capture and storage projects. Under the new Emissions Reduction Fund method announced on Friday by the Australian Govt. , large-scale projects that capture and permanently store carbon underground can be awarded tradeable high-integrity units, known as Australian Carbon Credit Units or ACCUs.
This world-first method will position Australia to scale up clean LNG production and make use of her abundant geological storage potential. It will also support hydrogen production from coal and gas.
It's so relieving to see that more and more countries seem to realise what is at stake and take action. Carbon storage is also done here but there's a geological limit to it.
Tell me one thing, Richie. You may have heard of the Sahara Solar Energy Project that could supply the whole of Europe with solar energy if it weren't for the people, i.e., terrorists who would destroy it immediately. But I wondered why a giant solar energy project isn't being implemented in AUS where you have space and sunshine for the most part of the year? Wouldn't that be obvious? What are the obstacles?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thomas Australia has not been asleep at the wheel re solar energy generation. One local solar project that is up and running is by Australian Solar Group development of the Swan Hill Solar Farm in 2018. The 19MW facility is expected to produce 37,700 MWh annually, enough clean energy to power the equivalent of more than 6,000 Australian homes. There are plans to expand the project.
But nothing before will top this project announced last year. This will knock you for a six
The world’s most ambitious renewable energy project to date is the proposed
AustraliaASEAN Power Link. This project would combine the world’s largest solar farm, the largest battery, and longest undersea electricity cable. The 10 gigawatt (GW) solar farm would cover 30,000 acres in Australia's sunny Northern Territory.

Last edited:
Truly impressive. :thumbsu: Would be a shame if all these resources were not used. All these projects would need to be advertised much more.
What does the guy talking at 0:30 mean by saying "the economics are getting in the way"? What would not be viable concerning such a project?

Last edited:
He means additional costs I expect.. such as maintenance.
It certainly is an ambitious project.. but an exciting one and a game changer for renewable energy generation if they pull it off. Imagine making the energy in one nation then transporting it underwater to another nation in quick time. The savings on shipping costs would be enormous.

Last edited:
Well said. We can do a lot ourselves to make the planet look better.
I'd love to see our courts and those that create laws go further with those that choose to litter.
Instead of massive fines there should be jail time starting at two months.
Currently it's a fine and a conviction.

Well said. We can do a lot ourselves to make the planet look better.
I'd love to see our courts and those that create laws go further with those that choose to litter.
Instead of massive fines there should be jail time starting at two months.
Currently it's a fine and a conviction.
I too dont like litterbugs. But that is a minor problem our planet faces. Cleaning our toxic air so our children's children can breath freely has to be the single greatest task we humans have faced in our history. What a price we have paid for industrial progress.

I too dont like litterbugs. Apecially those that pollute our oceans. But that is a minor problem our planet faces. Cleaning our toxic air so our children's children can breath freely has to be the single greatest task we humans have faced in our history. What a price we have paid for industrial progress.

I just think that if we start at home and all make our houses and the land around our houses beautiful then everyone has to do something about it.

I think that the Government has to reward people who take up all the green plans that are availible to us all and make a deal with the Energy companies to make it easier on everyone.

At the moment we are all paying too much money for gas and electricity.

It doesn't matter who you are with currently it's about the price of your bills for both.

I just think that if we start at home and all make our houses and the land around our houses beautiful then everyone has to do something about it.

I think that the Government has to reward people who take up all the green plans that are availible to us all and make a deal with the Energy companies to make it easier on everyone.

At the moment we are all paying too much money for gas and electricity.

It doesn't matter who you are with currently it's about the price of your bills for both.
It's not just the energy companies, it's industry, agriculture, and population which need to radically change their production methods and lifestyle, respectively. Reducing energy bills does not help because it doesn't induce a different behaviour of the people.

It's not just the energy companies, it's industry, agriculture, and population which need to radically change their production methods and lifestyle, respectively. Reducing energy bills does not help because it doesn't induce a different behaviour of the people.
That too must happen but thinking baby steps first.

Back