Retirements/club Changes 2013/14

Interesting reading at BUCC. Nick Curtain is a tremendous acquisition. However, did we not hear from them last year that their new capt/coach (miller) was signed on a 2 year deal to fulfill both roles? My opinion is this. A small thing called 'culture' has prevented this club from any recent success. Many changes in important positions (read coach, captain etc) and unsettled players with varying differences (read black hawk and wandering unity) tells me the club, despite Nick being added, will again fall short of finals which is what everyone wants come Round 1! Also, when will the first major disagreement between club coach and A grade captain occur? What is the old saying - too many cooks!!

You've come out all guns blazing on a Monday morning!

I agree that what Mr March said is a lot of nothing, ie a list of possible players next year. But good on him/them. Good to see them pumping their side up a bit. You can't bag a club for being proactive in their recruitment.

Some could say that you lost your only bowler, and replaced him with an opening batsmen. The only area your probably didn't need to recruit. :rolleyes:

My little birdies tell me they're bringing out another Sri Lankan bowler. It will be interesting to see how they go. Probably still a bowler short.

Interesting reading at BUCC. Nick Curtain is a tremendous acquisition. However, did we not hear from them last year that their new capt/coach (miller) was signed on a 2 year deal to fulfill both roles? My opinion is this. A small thing called 'culture' has prevented this club from any recent success. Many changes in important positions (read coach, captain etc) and unsettled players with varying differences (read black hawk and wandering unity) tells me the club, despite Nick being added, will again fall short of finals which is what everyone wants come Round 1! Also, when will the first major disagreement between club coach and A grade captain occur? What is the old saying - too many cooks!!

Welcome on board new fish - always good to have new opinions.
Such opinions when you know nothing of the workings of our club, is not an opinion, it is simply speculation.
Culture - talking about on field, as off field is as strong as there is in the Valley - is not something that can be developed overnight, and that winning culture is what all clubs want to work towards. This is something that Paul (coach last year) worked a lot to develop last year.
Having players understand that no matter the situation in a game, you are always in a winning position.....take Plenty and Rosanna as examples of this over the past 10 years.
Plenty this year were written off many times, yet even when not thought possible, they won games, outright and forged into a great position.
Rosanna in the GF were 8/70 and dug into that culture to get to 128, and the 'culture' that Boro has was that it was going to be a comfortable chase of a small target, and it would have been if Rosanna wasn't the opponent.
John Bubis is a perfect example of a culture developer within a club. Winning is a habit that needs to be created, and that is what we are doing.
Paul was a key driver in the efforts to sign Nick and through meetings with both, at no stage has ego or arrogance been seen or heard.

Unsettled players with varying differences - again, unless inside the (small) four walls of our club, you don't understand, and are simply reading words and forming an uneducated opinion.

Nice line about new fish! Thing is clubs can talk the talk all they like. You gave good examples about plenty and rosanna. B.utd have had had pretty similar players/list over last 6-7 seasons. What success have you had? Why does club start so well then drop off? Why so many different capt/coaches? Why one of your own say you will be 5/0 no matter who you bring in? Opinions like bumholes we all have one. Yes i agree not everything is known behind closed doors but if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck it aint a wedge tailed eagle my friend!!

Nice line about new fish! Thing is clubs can talk the talk all they like. You gave good examples about plenty and rosanna. B.utd have had had pretty similar players/list over last 6-7 seasons. What success have you had? Why does club start so well then drop off? Why so many different capt/coaches? Why one of your own say you will be 5/0 no matter who you bring in? Opinions like bumholes we all have one. Yes i agree not everything is known behind closed doors but if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck it aint a wedge tailed eagle my friend!!

You're not comparing Bundoora Utd's list to that of Plenty over the last 6-7 years are you?

I always struggle to understand why people bag the clubs that are proactive and recruit but say nothing about the clubs that don't. Every year there are 11 sides in BS and 13 or whatever in MS who don't win the flag who should be doing all that can to better their sides. It's not always about bringing in new players, I agree, but some fresh faces/ideas goes a long way to improving cultures and sides.

Good luck to BU, I hope Curtin has a great year with the stick and as captain, and loses the GF to us. :D

I always struggle to understand why people bag the clubs that are proactive and recruit but say nothing about the clubs that don't.

I think the reason this is the case is because this is a competition where we are not playing for sheep stations, and the poaching of talent from other clubs is an issue.

A reply earlier mentioned something about about 'Building a winning culture within a club is important' and I agree with that entirely... however, how can that occur when clubs that are attempting to build such a culture are pillaged of all their up-and-coming talent by clubs with a bigger cheque-book? How can a club build a winning culture when they are constantly being flogged by sides that can afford to import more players?

The reality is we are playing park cricket... we are not playing to get noticed and be selected to play at a higher level, and if we were playing for that reason we would go to a district club.

I don't know anyone else on here, but I play cricket on a Saturday for fun and the comradery with mates. That's why I've done so for the last 15yrs, and it's why I'll continue to do it for the next 15yrs. However, it's bloody hard fronting up week after week knowing you're most likely going to spend the whole 80 overs in the field bowling to a strong batting line-up that has been compiled not by a 'winning' culture, but more so by the size of their clubs bank balance.

Reading your post makes me sick. Park cricket as you call it means everything to some blokes and winning on Saturdays means even more. This is our 'test cricket' and some do want to be noticed. Tell Scott gibbs local cricket doesnt mean much after 4 semi final losses! Yes some clubs are able to poach talent but look at some of the best sides over the years, read plenty and diamond creek. They didnt lose anyone through their premiership runs. Their cultures almost forced them to stay. I hope b.utd go well. Just dont think 15 years of underachieving can be wiped out in 6 months!

Reading your post makes me sick. Park cricket as you call it means everything to some blokes and winning on Saturdays means even more. This is our 'test cricket' and some do want to be noticed. Tell Scott gibbs local cricket doesnt mean much after 4 semi final losses! Yes some clubs are able to poach talent but look at some of the best sides over the years, read plenty and diamond creek. They didnt lose anyone through their premiership runs. Their cultures almost forced them to stay. I hope b.utd go well. Just dont think 15 years of underachieving can be wiped out in 6 months!

All well and good... everyone is entitled to an opinion. However, I just think that it's a sad day when RECREATIONAL and AMATEUR sport is pretty much decided before the coin is even tossed.

Don't get me wrong, I am as competitive as anyone, however, it just frustrates when LOCAL sport has a distinct correlation between a teams ladder position and the amount of coin the throw around recruiting players. Of course there are exceptions to the rule, but that's a rarity.

As for underachieving taking longer than 6mths to correct... I agree, it is a process to instill a culture in a club, however, it's a hell of a lot harder to set that in place when other clubs are offering your talent coin that you have no chance of matching.

All well and good... everyone is entitled to an opinion. However, I just think that it's a sad day when RECREATIONAL and AMATEUR sport is pretty much decided before the coin is even tossed.

Don't get me wrong, I am as competitive as anyone, however, it just frustrates when LOCAL sport has a distinct correlation between a teams ladder position and the amount of coin the throw around recruiting players. Of course there are exceptions to the rule, but that's a rarity.

As for underachieving taking longer than 6mths to correct... I agree, it is a process to instill a culture in a club, however, it's a hell of a lot harder to set that in place when other clubs are offering your talent coin that you have no chance of matching.

Are you telling me that Bundoora Football club are doing it wrong as they strive for success by buying players.
I see it as rewarding the existing blokes at the club and giving them the chance to play in finals and win the ultimate success.
Yes it's just sport and not life changing, but some blokes thrive and need to play sport on the weekend to enhance their lives.
If a(ny) club has the ability to raise money or increase revenue to pay a little extra to develop a list, I see nothing wrong with that.

Are you telling me that Bundoora Football club are doing it wrong as they strive for success by buying players.
I see it as rewarding the existing blokes at the club and giving them the chance to play in finals and win the ultimate success.
Yes it's just sport and not life changing, but some blokes thrive and need to play sport on the weekend to enhance their lives.
If a(ny) club has the ability to raise money or increase revenue to pay a little extra to develop a list, I see nothing wrong with that.

Nah, I am not saying it is wrong at all because it is the times we live in... I just think it is sad though that local sport has come to a point where how much a club can make over a bar reflects their ladder position. I'm only young, but I'm old school in that regard. I know that throwing coin around in local sport isn't a new thing... I just don't agree with it, that's all.

I understand that clubs should be entitled to spend however much they want and give something back to the long-time members (unless of course you've been the loyal full forward for 5-10yrs and all of a sudden you're relegated back to the reserves because your position is now filled by a high paid recruit) by giving them a greater chance at on-field success, but again I still don't agree with that.

I know it is part and parcel of local sport these days... but it's definitely not a level playing field like it should be at this level. The division between the top sides and the bottom sides continues to get greater and greater because some clubs can afford to throw $30000 around on players, whereas other clubs would be lucky to afford 10% of that. With the on-field success that comes from throwing around $30000 comes off-field success with new sponsors that now want to be associated with a successful club... which in turn brings MORE money into that club. On the other-hand, the club that is just scraping together $3000 to barely avoid relegation, has trouble keeping sponsors on board and certainly can't bring in any new ones. They also have to contend with the richer clubs dangling cash in front of their best young players to come across and play for them... and THAT last point is the thing I disagree with the most.

Nah, I am not saying it is wrong at all because it is the times we live in... I just think it is sad though that local sport has come to a point where how much a club can make over a bar reflects their ladder position. I'm only young, but I'm old school in that regard. I know that throwing coin around in local sport isn't a new thing... I just don't agree with it, that's all.

I understand that clubs should be entitled to spend however much they want and give something back to the long-time members (unless of course you've been the loyal full forward for 5-10yrs and all of a sudden you're relegated back to the reserves because your position is now filled by a high paid recruit) by giving them a greater chance at on-field success, but again I still don't agree with that.

I know it is part and parcel of local sport these days... but it's definitely not a level playing field like it should be at this level. The division between the top sides and the bottom sides continues to get greater and greater because some clubs can afford to throw $30000 around on players, whereas other clubs would be lucky to afford 10% of that. With the on-field success that comes from throwing around $30000 comes off-field success with new sponsors that now want to be associated with a successful club... which in turn brings MORE money into that club. On the other-hand, the club that is just scraping together $3000 to barely avoid relegation, has trouble keeping sponsors on board and certainly can't bring in any new ones. They also have to contend with the richer clubs dangling cash in front of their best young players to come across and play for them... and THAT last point is the thing I disagree with the most.

Regarding the earlier question about how do you sack a local cricketer. My assumption would be that it's a player who's being payed to play.

In regards to this, I'd be very surprised to learn that there was any club spending 30000 a year to put a side out there in local cricket. Unless they've gone out and spent 20000 on a single player and the rest amounts to incentives etc for the rest of the list I just can't see how a club can justify it, and tbh there's no 20,000 a year cricketers running around in the dvca ATM either.

I'd also be very surprised if 30k was being spent on teams in the DVCA at the minute
I do get his point though.

Regarding the earlier question about how do you sack a local cricketer. My assumption would be that it's a player who's being payed to play.

In regards to this, I'd be very surprised to learn that there was any club spending 30000 a year to put a side out there in local cricket. Unless they've gone out and spent 20000 on a single player and the rest amounts to incentives etc for the rest of the list I just can't see how a club can justify it, and tbh there's no 20,000 a year cricketers running around in the dvca ATM either.

can hack bowler shed any light on who the sacked player is? Also, following on from an earlier post, id be interested in the amount of $$$ eltham will be shovelling out this season. Now before you go doing handstands tongs and your head starts to explode, i know skips is a loyal man not holding the club to ransom. But it would shock me, no knock me over, if he wasnt pocketing 5 figures a season down there especially considering was it 2 years ago new almost poached him for a bizarre amount? add that to one s.gibbs and id say thats next door to 20k between those two alone!! granted there would not be too many more on big dollars, although gutterson, kennel and donaldson (if he stays) would all be getting something. So would it be fair to say that if there was a salary cap of say 15k per club in the dvca, eltham would be buying alot of brown paper bags from safeway to get the job done? Surely nothing but a premiership would be satisfactory with those dollars/players!!

Back