Retirements/club Changes 2013/14

No doom and gloom? Are you drunk?!? Potter, gunn, barnett and a few other 1s players all gone. Will be duking it out for the wooden spoon. Age old battle isnt it. Strong willed experienced new coach vs headstrong, slightly disruptive group. Club must back new coach no doubt but to lose 6 of your best dozen. Something smells a bit down at lower.. what do they say. The fish rots at the head! And can i just say, without being too much of a party pooper, please dont get on here and say your club has picked up a guy who bowls 130 or some unknown is coming back who will be a saviour. Fairdinkum.. let early results guide our opinions not bs spruiking 3 months out from a ball being bowled!!
No doom and gloom? Are you drunk?!? Potter, gunn, barnett and a few other 1s players all gone. Will be duking it out for the wooden spoon. Age old battle isnt it. Strong willed experienced new coach vs headstrong, slightly disruptive group. Club must back new coach no doubt but to lose 6 of your best dozen. Something smells a bit down at lower.. what do they say. The fish rots at the head! And can i just say, without being too much of a party pooper, please dont get on here and say your club has picked up a guy who bowls 130 or some unknown is coming back who will be a saviour. Fairdinkum.. let early results guide our opinions not bs spruiking 3 months out from a ball being bowled!!
. Obviously you know better than me, so my apologies :(

Have been told that Ben Waterman will have a role (non playing I think), Adam Tsapatsaris(fielding coach), Leigh McTaggart (bowling coach). Can't recall if a head coach was mentioned. Thought I heard Elliot Smale to coach at Riverside. Rumours? I'm not much in the loop, but have heard of another former Australian cricket rep to play at RECCC this coming season!
Might have got the wrong mail on Ben Waterman having an association with his old club. Last I've heard is that he will be playing in ECA synthetic comp with some good mates after Christmas.

Probably fair enough. Greensborough made it to the big dance where they were knocked off in a close one by the best team all year. Any idea how many imports they'll be bringing out this season??

Yep Mick is back, good coach, but just a weird bloke haha
As far as i know just the 1, Nilshan, but he is living here permanently and coaching our under 16s, so not sure if he is still classified as an import. The other 2 won't be coming back, but Sammy hardly played last year and Gamindu didnt really set the world on fire so it will be no big loss. Good chance for some other blokes to put their hands up.

Rumour has it that Lower Plenty are getting themselves an import.

You would think after all the money they wasted on Arnberger, they would be a little shy on seeking a saviour to get their club out of the doldrums.

Some people never learn.

Rumour has it that Lower Plenty are getting themselves an import.

You would think after all the money they wasted on Arnberger, they would be a little shy on seeking a saviour to get their club out of the doldrums.

Some people never learn.

Maybe the lesson they learnt was that imports are better value for money than a majority or ex district players?

Maybe the lesson they learnt was that imports are better value for money than a majority or ex district players?

I would have thought that there were more less successful imports than district cricketers in the DVCA. Arnberger obviously performed lower than expected. Who else is there that wasn't that great a pick up..

I would have thought that there were more less successful imports than district cricketers in the DVCA. Arnberger obviously performed lower than expected. Who else is there that wasn't that great a pick up..

I shouldn't have just said ex-district. I meant local cricketers in general who want money to play. What does an Arnberger or ex district cricketer cost a club (or any local cricketer putting his hand out) vs an import. My understanding is the imports are relatively cheap. I haven't seen an import dominate the competition like a Gibbs or Adam McGinty. But guys like the Perera's would cost clubs a lot more if they were local I'm sure.

@Warwick: LP are putting a lot of time and effort into developing the next generation of players which whilst taking time, I'm sure will pay dividends in the future. If Lower Plenty have lost a number of players as mentioned then good on them for being proactive and recruiting for the mean time. If they didn't, I'm sure you'd be on here telling us they're going to finish last. If they've decided to get an import who will be without the ego and disruptive influence that people on here say the 'rat pack' had then I'm sure it will be a positive for the 1st XI. An import won't cost an arm and a leg and will probably be paid out of funds that would otherwise have gone to players that have left the club. Because Arnberger didn't live up to expectations (which were very high, [for the record, Arnberger went on to have a good year in the DDCA after his time at Lower] should they never recruit again? Cricket's a very fickle game, Arnberger could well have come back this year, a few years older and past his best and make twice as many runs....

What was the post??

The post was removed because it was aimed in the wrong direction!! My bad, I assumed that someone posting on here under the name of a former player would actually be from that Club. But thanks to an inbox message I received, apparently Jason Henderson (the one on here taking pot shots at most clubs) isnt actually from Eltham, but bats in the top 6 at Mernda. Must admit I'm surprised anyone from Mernda would be slagging off other teams with their track record.

As a club, it is obviously important that you are chasing and getting in players to your club that are going to strengthen your side to help you achieve your goals. For MS clubs, its to ultimately win the flag, go to BS and be competitive whilst working your way up the ladder. In BS it would be to play finals, and to win a flag. If that means you get an “Import” to come play for you, then you do it. Just like you would go get an ex District/state player. But all I would care about is the player is a good clubman, hangs around for a beer, comes to functions, and is liked by the players. If that’s an Australian born or Sri Lankan who cares.

The post was removed because it was aimed in the wrong direction!! My bad, I assumed that someone posting on here under the name of a former player would actually be from that Club. But thanks to an inbox message I received, apparently Jason Henderson (the one on here taking pot shots at most clubs) isnt actually from Eltham, but bats in the top 6 at Mernda. Must admit I'm surprised anyone from Mernda would be slagging off other teams with their track record.

Surprise surprise. Another usual bullying outburst by a Lower Eltham player. That was exactly proving my point about your shit culture at your club and what everyone else see's your club as:

A pack of loud mouth flogs that think they are the elite team in the Valley and everyone else is beneath them. You might have some players with ability at your club but being tossers far outweighs your ability.

Surprise surprise. Another usual bullying outburst by a Lower Eltham player. That was exactly proving my point about your shit culture at your club and what everyone else see's your club as:

A pack of loud mouth flogs that think they are the elite team in the Valley and everyone else is beneath them. You might have some players with ability at your club but being tossers far outweighs your ability.

Im not sure how the previous message constitutes bullying, but if you are that fragile then so be it.

The fact that you tried to pass yourself off as an Eltham players speaks volumes for your character, and if your opinion is that we are flogs and think we are elite I dont particularly care, we know where we are at and get along with most teams. Its funny but most of the boys we play against think that apart from Stuey Wright you blokes are just flat out ordinary humans.

Speaking of culture, didnt you blokes have a player suspended for a long period recently?? Glass houses champ

Im not sure how the previous message constitutes bullying, but if you are that fragile then so be it.

The fact that you tried to pass yourself off as an Eltham players speaks volumes for your character, and if your opinion is that we are flogs and think we are elite I dont particularly care, we know where we are at and get along with most teams. Its funny but most of the boys we play against think that apart from Stuey Wright you blokes are just flat out ordinary humans.

Speaking of culture, didnt you blokes have a player suspended for a long period recently?? Glass houses champ

Let me correct you. I don't think your club is elite. No one does. Except for the big headed players at your club. I was referring to you degrading and unwarrented abuse towards Eltham, not that i dispute what you said. You were probably right in what you said about them but i was talking about your culture.

Not sure how i have passed off as an Eltham player? Not likely i would ever play there. I don't think I have ever said where i play either, or if i even do play? So what is this about my club having a suspended player?

Thats good to hear because we finished 5th last season so clearly not elite. Although I'm not sure many people know or care that Mernda are in Barclay Shield.

Not sure if you have said where you play but I know who you are and I know you play at Mernda. Deny all you like.

Anyway - not sure people want to read this junk so lets move on, good luck for the upcoming season, if you concentrate as much on your own cricket as potting other clubs and trying to remain anonymous you might actually have a reasonable season.

For what its worth I reckon Diamond Creek are odds on to go back to back. And they are good blokes.

apart from Mernda and Epping players not liking each other, I would have thought that every other team gets along with most. This is getting interesting.....

Thats good to hear because we finished 5th last season so clearly not elite. Although I'm not sure many people know or care that Mernda are in Barclay Shield.

Not sure if you have said where you play but I know who you are and I know you play at Mernda. Deny all you like.

Anyway - not sure people want to read this junk so lets move on, good luck for the upcoming season, if you concentrate as much on your own cricket as potting other clubs and trying to remain anonymous you might actually have a reasonable season.

For what its worth I reckon Diamond Creek are odds on to go back to back. And they are good blokes.

Rogneda and Sturgess both gone from what I hear?

Rogneda off to Northcote and Sturge having a year off to focus on footy?

Can anyone confirm?

Boys, most of you know that i like a sledge just as much as the next guy on here, and its usually always in good fun from most people on here and that is fine to do so. But lets try to not get too personal on here.

I would also ask that if people want to full on attack a player or club, be very sure that you're actually having a go at the right person/club as well as making sure you don't cross the line. Also, remember that people choose to have a name of their choice and to hide their identity if they so wish, some are happy to have people know who they are, but 95% of you hide who you are, and you have the right to do so, therefore can't expect others to declare who they are or what club they are from.

This forum is meant to be about having a bit of banter between players and supporters, discussing all things DVCA and the goings on around the valley. Lets try not to turn this into an utter **** fight where blokes sole intention is to get on and pot people and clubs and nothing else.

Happy to discuss further if anyone has any questions.

Can anyone confirm?

I am with absoluteglam (What kind of name is that by the way?) on his prediction with Diamo. I think they are streets ahead of other teams with their list and performaces. A very quality side.

I have heard the same thing about Sturge having a year off to focus on footy, and i find that a bit bizarre to be honest. Its not as if he is playing VFL or AFL, or even has the potential - as in, he is not an 18yo, so to "focus" on (local) footy is a bit strange. But each to their own, we all have our own priorities. No idea about Rogneda, but they would be two pretty big losses to have.

Can anyone confirm?
Don`t know about Sturge, but unless Rogga has changed his mind in the last four days he will be at Diamo on Sunday for training.

Back