Ronchi's A Quitter

el-capitano

Western Australian wicketkeeper Luke Ronchi will pursue a career in New Zealand in a bid to win a place in their national side. Ronchi has told his Western Australia team-mates of his decision and he will finish his commitments with the Warriors this summer before heading to New Zealand next season.
Ronchi, 30, played four one-day internationals and three Twenty20s for Australia in 2008 and 2009 when he was second in line to Brad Haddin, but he lost his place in the state side towards the end of 2008-09. He has struggled to hold down his Sheffield Shield spot since then, although he has made two Ryobi Cup hundreds this season.
In the national setup, Ronchi has been overtaken by Matthew Wade and Tim Paine, and probably others like Peter Nevill, and his chances of further games for Australia were slim. Ronchi will qualify to play for New Zealand having been born there, although his family moved to Perth when he was six years old.
Under the ICC's qualification rules, Ronchi will be eligible to play for New Zealand next January, having last played for Australia in January 2009.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/australia/content/story/553802.html

Ronchi will be lucky to get a go in NZ despite its keeping ranks being very thin on the ground and not helped by a certain ******** by the name of Brendan McCullum's refusal to keep in tests, notwithstanding he used to be one of the best in the world at it.

Watling is currently flavour of the month with NZ coach John Wright and served him well with a ton in the Zimbabwe test albeit against a dreadful bowling attack.

So unless McCullum refuses to keep in the shorter games Ronchi's move will be a waste.

He's averaging about 73 this season at a strike rate of close to 100. Hit two centuries in his previous Plenket Shield (4-day cricket) game. Going fairly well at the moment you'd have to say, if only he could have done that more often with the Warriors.

He's going pretty well but as Bullfrog said, Watling is going well as well and is 27 rather than 30. Watling seems to be coming of age as he's recently shown against the West Indies and South Africa but Ronchi still has a good chance of getting into the national T20 side and a back-up in the ODI side.

How does his move to NZ make him a quitter? He knew he had no chance of making it back into the Australian side and decided to take his chance overseas. Besides, he was born in NZ...

Into the NZ one day squad for games against England and the Champions Trophy.

Interesting to see him added, Kim Littlejohn has said "Luke Ronchi gets his chance after impressing on the domestic scene. We know how dangerous he is and look forward to seeing him display his talents on the international stage."

Will certainly be interesting to see and looks like he deserves the call up.

Not sure about NZ having him opening the batting, reckon he would be better moving down the order like he did with WA.

Don't think that would matter the problem probably is that there's no obvious batsman to do it instead if McCullum wants to stay down.

I agree. Only problem I see is...does NZ really need two finishers at the bottom? McCullum and Ronchi?
England have both Morgan and Buttler, so it can be done.

Who would open, though? I was pondering this most of last night, and was going to suggest Hamish Rutherford after his recent 110 for Essex, but I now see that his successive scores have been 18 and 10. It's hard to predict what NZ will actually do for the next game; effectively anyone can open with Guptill, and if Ronchi was to drop down the order, then I'd say Williamson would be the best candidate (as long as he doesn't waste the team's DRS review :mad:). I don't think James Franklin's found his role in the side either, but I don't think they'll replace him with a non-all-rounder, so he'll probably stay until Elliott is fully fit.

England have both Morgan and Buttler, so it can be done.

Who would open, though? I was pondering this most of last night, and was going to suggest Hamish Rutherford after his recent 110 for Essex, but I now see that his successive scores have been 18 and 10. It's hard to predict what NZ will actually do for the next game; effectively anyone can open with Guptill, and if Ronchi was to drop down the order, then I'd say Williamson would be the best candidate (as long as he doesn't waste the team's DRS review :mad:). I don't think James Franklin's found his role in the side either, but I don't think they'll replace him with a non-all-rounder, so he'll probably stay until Elliott is fully fit.

For an opener...I really hope we see Ryder re-find his desire to play for NZ and opens with Guptill for NZ in ODI's and T20's!

Back in the NZ squad for the Sri Lanka tour with McCullum going home, might be about his last chance at 32.

They need to open with him in the ODI's or at the very least put him at 3. Absolutely wasted in the middle order.

Really? I can't remember the last time he made any runs for WA opening and failed there for NZ in the CT, whilst he played some decent games batting down the order.

Back