RUSSIA INVADES UKRAINE.

Didn't you have a moment to watch the news? Yes, I saw that scene with the tank.
Ritchie has already explained what's behind it.

Putin wants to go down in history as the hero who has re-established the Soviet empire again. He has been traumatised by its collapse in the early 90s.
One of the major reasons for his move now were the demonstrations in Belarus some time ago when Lukashenko was seen running around with a Kalashnikov which made it clear to Putin one more time that democratic developments at his doorstep would be the biggest threat to his autocratic regime. He wants to prevent the same from happening in Ukraine by installing a pro-Russian regime as a buffer zone to NATO countries in addition to Belarus with his buddy Lukashenko.
What is appalling is the brainwashing of the Russians who often don't even know what Putin is doing in Ukraine.
I have been watching the news but I didn't understand why Russia invaded Ukraine to begin with, we never studied anything like this at school and, with respect, I'm a bit younger than you and Richie, so although I'm following the news I had no idea of the background.

You know much about drones Thomas. I do know they have a camera on board but can they also have weapons mounted. Surely nowhere near the one that obliterated that Russian convoy. I expect they have can hold a machine gun or a small detonating device.
I think the drone itself can be used as a bomb, loaded up with explosives and flown right into a target.
Our news tells us that a UK crack team are heading over to Ukraine to help them fight the Russians.

Didn't you have a moment to watch the news? Yes, I saw that scene with the tank.
Ritchie has already explained what's behind it.

Putin wants to go down in history as the hero who has re-established the Soviet empire again. He has been traumatised by its collapse in the early 90s.
One of the major reasons for his move now were the demonstrations in Belarus some time ago when Lukashenko was seen running around with a Kalashnikov which made it clear to Putin one more time that democratic developments at his doorstep would be the biggest threat to his autocratic regime. He wants to prevent the same from happening in Ukraine by installing a pro-Russian regime as a buffer zone to NATO countries in addition to Belarus with his buddy Lukashenko.
What is appalling is the brainwashing of the Russians who often don't even know what Putin is doing in Ukraine.

Good post, looker-on looker-on , this sums up things very well. Putin essentially wants to return Russia to what it was in the Soviet Union days, as if the people there want to go back to the 1960's, 70's and 80's. Russia has Belarus in its back pocket but none of the other former Soviet territories want to entertain that prospect with many of them now part of NATO which Putin does not want on his front doorstep, hence the need to invade Ukraine and install a puppet regime to give him a buffer between Russia and the line of NATO countries within Europe. Given the protests that have be held within Russia thus far, there are at least some people who don't want that with many more sure to follow the same line of thinking.

The financial sanctions imposed by a lot of countries will bite Russia but it will take some time for them to flow through. Once they do though, this will be the real test for Putin. He has a strong grip on power but if things deteriorate within the country to a point where it gets fairly dire, how long with the Russian people tolerate that for? Interest rates have been hiked to an eye-watering 20% in the last few days and the Russian Rouble is now worth less than US$0.01. ATM's are running out of cash and there are fears that inflation will increase given the sanctions which will eventually start to take effect.

The effects of the conflict in Ukraine is certainly one to watch but the impact of the sanctions in Russia when they begin to take hold will be too.

Our news tells us that a UK crack team are heading over to Ukraine to help them fight the Russians.
Need to keep this hush hush you Brits. I expect it is not military associated. Mercenaries.. special forces type thing. Thing is Ukraine needs them and many more. What a pity Ukraine is not a NATO member.. Putin would be pushed back to Moscow if it had.

I think the drone itself can be used as a bomb, loaded up with explosives and flown right into a target.
Yes I heard that too. On the occasion of the Twitter clip I posted it was a drone filming probably a strike by a jet.

1646184059055.png

Found this on Twitter. Verification of a drone strike on that massive Russian convoy that was heading for Kiev. Phew they left that worryingly late as when I woke the column was almost at the outskirts of the capital untouched.

To see clips of ordinary Ukranians blocking streets to stop small Russian convoys from proceeding thru their village is uplifting. I hope no one was hit by the small arms fire.

Ukranian TB2 drones are now operating in Russian territory. Direct hit on a Russian military train carrying fuel to the front.

You know much about drones Thomas. I do know they have a camera on board but can they also have weapons mounted. Surely nowhere near the one that obliterated that Russian convoy. I expect they have can hold a machine gun or a small detonating device.
What makes you think so?

View attachment 1433

Found this on Twitter. Verification of a drone strike on that massive Russian convoy that was heading for Kiev. Phew they left that worryingly late as when I woke the column was almost at the outskirts of the capital untouched.
Evidently this was not the convoy heading to Kyiv but another destroyed earlier in the invasion. I am now hearing that all Ukraine's military drones have been shot from the sky while their ancient soviet era jets are no match for the latest Russian jets. So that convoy continues on its way to lay waste to the capital some time soon unless there is a last minute intervention from someone.

https://twitter.com/OstapYarysh
A terrifying photo from #Mariupol, #Ukraine. A pregnant woman is being evacuated after the Russian airstrike at the maternity hospital.

The following media includes potentially sensitive content.

I find anyone that can target children and pregnant women as the most abhorrent act possible. It must go down as a war crime and Russia will pay for it.

Attachments

• 1646883769770.png
    1646883769770.png
    217.5 KB · Views: 2
View attachment 1461
A Russian convoy destroyed outside the capital Kyiv..
That has happened frequently because the Russians have to use narrow roads like this and can't use open fields for their troops to unfold and attack due to the woody landscape in the north. Most effectively done by Ukrainian drones of which the Russians have just a few.

Last edited:
When that 60km long convoy was a sitting duck for three days Ukraine had the chance to do massive damage with its jets or drones.. if it had any. They had all been destroyed. Reason Pres. Zalensky was asking for a no fly zone so vehemently as that convoy was heading for his capital.

His usual empty waffle.

Yes, totally agree. He basically said nothing. Trump is a complete clown and will go down as one of the worst Presidents in the history of the United States of America. I did see a House of Representatives committee found he likely committed a crime by trying to pressure the then Vice President into overturning the election result, committee may well ask the US Department of Justice to press charges.

Back