Senior Division 10/11

re: Senior Division 10/11

An interesting finish to the home and away season, with Altona North joining Youlden-Parkville as the other relegated side, after Royal Park/Brunswick easily accounted for YPCC. It will be interesting to see whether ANCC's player stocks will be depleted (as has already been rumoured) with the drop in grades. Congratulations to RPBCC on surviving the drop - a very proud club who lost some quality players in the pre-season. Interesting to see Yarraville Club hit a hurdle leading up to finals, but is anyone brave enough to tip against a Yarraville Club vs Airport West/St.Christophers Grand Final?

GillyGilly;390752 said:
An interesting finish to the home and away season, with Altona North joining Youlden-Parkville as the other relegated side, after Royal Park/Brunswick easily accounted for YPCC. It will be interesting to see whether ANCC's player stocks will be depleted (as has already been rumoured) with the drop in grades. Congratulations to RPBCC on surviving the drop - a very proud club who last some quality players in the pre-season. Interesting to see Yarraville Club hit a hurdle leading up to finals, but is anyone brave enough to tip against a Yarraville Club vs Airport West/St.Christophers Grand Final?

YC with a batting lineup of Cristafaro, Cullen, O'Keefe, Bakes, Smart and Ion will be too strong. The only question is if they have the bowling to knock over SC given Ash Russell's dominant year...It will be closer than people think.

In the other match, APW will beat Keilor comfortably. The class of Brown, Taylor, Magafas, Jan and the new players (Amini, Kelliher, Rutley) make a very strong side. Keilor rely on Hutchison and if they lose early wickets will struggle to make a big score.

YCCC;390615 said:
Very well said phil, i totally agree. Although we arent the only club in senior div that is well run. people are quick to forget about the airport wests, keilors, sth caulfields, mckinnons, willy cyms just to name a few.

I shouldnt be getting sucked in by a bloke like hussler who apparently goes around other cricket forums doin the same thing as what he does on this site. I dunno what he gets out of trying to devalue local cricket clubs but I am told he may have some sort of ADD disorder, and replying like i have gives him the attention he seeks...............:eek:

Define 'well run'?... Always easy to be a well run club when on-field success can be largely attributed to how much money a club has. Easy to say well-run too when most of that money probably comes not from any great fundraising efforts of club members, but largely from poker machine profits (happy to be corrected on this).

No doubt YC have good administrators, systems etc but it's easy to be well run when you don't have to worry about where your next dollar comes from.

On the flipside, I dare say all clubs struggling on-field are well run, simply by neccessity and virtue of the fact they run on the smell of an oily rag.

Southern Son;390931 said:
Define 'well run'?... Always easy to be a well run club when on-field success can be largely attributed to how much money a club has. Easy to say well-run too when most of that money probably comes not from any great fundraising efforts of club members, but largely from poker machine profits (happy to be corrected on this).

No doubt YC have good administrators, systems etc but it's easy to be well run when you don't have to worry about where your next dollar comes from.

On the flipside, I dare say all clubs struggling on-field are well run, simply by neccessity and virtue of the fact they run on the smell of an oily rag.

By the way, does Baker get paid in dollar coins?
Fair points, but the last sentence let you down.

Southern Son;390931 said:

By the way, does Baker get paid in dollar coins?

There are plenty of clubs out there who have plenty of money. In all grades. Perhaps not as much as YCCC, but when guys can get $3000-5000 for pretty much doing nothing, that's when the admin of a club earn their money by recruiting these people. Live by the sword.....

YCCC can pay whatever they want, to whoever they want! I'm pretty sure they get what they're paying for. And therein lies the difference between well run clubs and not. It's not so much the money you spend, or even where or how you get it, it's how you spend it, and what you want to achieve by spending those monies.

If you want to compare TPP from club to club, then OK. I'd think they're not too far apart. I hear there are clubs out here paying close to 30k in Nth A/B! All I'm saying is, a club needs to know what THEIR hard earned dollar is worth. And they will pay for players accordingly. If your club is any good, well directed, and enticing, they will come for less. That is why YCCC are good at what they do.

Get with the program. Look after your own. :rolleyes:

the honest truth;390983 said:
There are plenty of clubs out there who have plenty of money. In all grades. Perhaps not as much as YCCC, but when guys can get $3000-5000 for pretty much doing nothing, that's when the admin of a club earn their money by recruiting these people. Live by the sword.....

YCCC can pay whatever they want, to whoever they want! I'm pretty sure they get what they're paying for. And therein lies the difference between well run clubs and not. It's not so much the money you spend, or even where or how you get it, it's how you spend it, and what you want to achieve by spending those monies.

If you want to compare TPP from club to club, then OK. I'd think they're not too far apart. I hear there are clubs out here paying close to 30k in Nth A/B! All I'm saying is, a club needs to know what THEIR hard earned dollar is worth. And they will pay for players accordingly. If your club is any good, well directed, and enticing, they will come for less. That is why YCCC are good at what they do.

One of the better posts I've ever read on here!

Mate, not disputing what or who YCCC are paying, good on em if they can afford it. The point I'm making is that some clubs have next to no money to pay any players to begin with. They're still well run clubs, but they simply can't compete on-field with clubs who have significant revenue streams from gambling, wealthy benefactors and other sources.

Case in point - where was Airport West 3-4 years ago? Ask yourself what it is that has seen them gone from 'also-rans' in Snr A to competition leaders in Snr Div in such a short space of time?

I know our club's total player payments would be less than half of what a Baker gets paid. And that money gets directed to 1-2 players.... It's the same with a lot of clubs. I don't know exactly what happens in the north, but in the south you'd find this scenario is the same for a lot of clubs. I know, because I'm a club administrator and have spoken with other clubs and have been in VTCA meetings where the topic of player payments has been discussed.

You say - 'guys can get $3000-5000 for pretty much doing nothing, that's when the admin of a club earn their money by recruiting these people.'.... God, what a luxury to have! $3-5k goes a looong way in the south and I don't get a cent for helping to run our club..... 'If you want to compare TPP from club to club, then OK. I'd think they're not too far apart.' - if that's the perception out there, than some people are so far removed from reality it's not funny!

On another note - Good luck to South Caulfield for the finals... Now there's an example of a 'well run' club - good Snr Div pedigree (only club to have been in it from the start I believe) with a solid junior program that produces 1st XI players (Russells etc)

I think McKinnon had something like 7 or 8 past juniors in their round 11 side. Fair effort knocking off Yarraville even though Yarraville didn't really have anything to play for and had players missing.

Battler;391058 said:
I think McKinnon had something like 7 or 8 past juniors in their round 11 side. Fair effort knocking off Yarraville even though Yarraville didn't really have anything to play for and had players missing.

McKinnon are a strong club with a good history of developing junior players

Southern Son;391027 said:
Mate, not disputing what or who YCCC are paying, good on em if they can afford it. The point I'm making is that some clubs have next to no money to pay any players to begin with. They're still well run clubs, but they simply can't compete on-field with clubs who have significant revenue streams from gambling, wealthy benefactors and other sources.

Case in point - where was Airport West 3-4 years ago? Ask yourself what it is that has seen them gone from 'also-rans' in Snr A to competition leaders in Snr Div in such a short space of time?

I know our club's total player payments would be less than half of what a Baker gets paid. And that money gets directed to 1-2 players.... It's the same with a lot of clubs. I don't know exactly what happens in the north, but in the south you'd find this scenario is the same for a lot of clubs. I know, because I'm a club administrator and have spoken with other clubs and have been in VTCA meetings where the topic of player payments has been discussed.

You say - 'guys can get $3000-5000 for pretty much doing nothing, that's when the admin of a club earn their money by recruiting these people.'.... God, what a luxury to have! $3-5k goes a looong way in the south and I don't get a cent for helping to run our club..... 'If you want to compare TPP from club to club, then OK. I'd think they're not too far apart.' - if that's the perception out there, than some people are so far removed from reality it's not funny!

On another note - Good luck to South Caulfield for the finals... Now there's an example of a 'well run' club - good Snr Div pedigree (only club to have been in it from the start I believe) with a solid junior program that produces 1st XI players (Russells etc)

Point taken.

My comment about $3-5k was more about over-valued players than anything else.

Good luck to Sth Caulfield too. I hope they get up, the weather may assist them.

Very good reply, there is your answer southern son.

Southern Son;391027 said:

yes some clubs are gonna have more money than others but thats local cricket and footy everywhere. But with the points system and 2 professional rule it is a fair competition. We have had 2 juniors playing every week in our 1s side, Elbourne and Murphy have played most games this year. Also had armistead play a couple of games.

In the past we have had b.pope, n.richardson & t.jones(all from juniors) play regular 1s cricket. They have all given it away for a few years to concentrate on footy otherwise im sure they would be in our 1s side right now :cool:

you have to get over j.baker southern son. yes he is a great player but doesnt get no where near what you 'pretend to know' he gets. And yes he does get a bag of gold coins after each game, spot on peanut.......:eek:

On YCCC v Sth Caulfield game, Go clubbers! Lets hope history repeats itself this weekend :D

I've heard enough about YCCC this week to last me a lifetime.Heres hoping one of the other top 4 get up this finals series and ruffles a few feathers.

underarm bowler;391166 said:
I've heard enough about YCCC this week to last me a lifetime.Heres hoping one of the other top 4 get up this finals series and ruffles a few feathers.

Well who would you like?

Surely everyone who isn't playing this week couldn't care? Or do we hate YCCC that much? If so, you/we should get behind someone?!

I'll back APWStC.

underarm bowler;391166 said:

Sadly the rain will prevent that. YCCC v AWSTC granny ..... yawn.

Its kind of doesn't matter now does it. Would of been good to see a Taylor v Russell rematch.I guess if you are looking at it from a cricket side of things always good to see the best 2 teams in the comp playing off.

Back