So, what do you think of the new BigCricket Forums?

What do you think of the new BigCricket Forums?

• Total voters
I have a couple of snags with the new forum:

* Seems to log me out when moving between sections so I have to log on again
* Main forum page does not display the last post information, is there a refresh button somewhere?

There is another big forum out there aside this one here and that comes across as being a bit 'English' e.g up its own arse, but in comparison it does come across as a bit dreary. I don't mind the Aussie-ness of this forum and in the areas where the majority of my postings are made it is made up of a mixture of Poms and Aussies. As far as we're concerned I wouldn't say the Aussie-centric nature of the forum gets in the way at all.

The quality of the postings in the Spinning areas of this forum I'd say are far more superior than any other I've come across even though it's not everyones cup of tea. I'm under the impression its the origins of this forum that give it its Aussie-centric feel, but I don't think its an issue, but its weird that there doesn't seem to be very many South Africans, Kiwi's or blokes from the Indian subcontinent joining up and posting, but then I am commenting from a very 'Spin-centric' viewpoint.

I'm getting used to the new format, but I'm missing the indication of who's on-line when you're posting in the forum, this seems to have encouraged me to leave the forum and come back later and possibly not use it as much because I'm unaware if there's anyone logged on is likely to reply.

Whose online is on the main forums list, just as it was before. it's just on the side, not on the button.
What's this english forum you mention?

I've given the new forum a bit of time, and although it presents well, anyone would have to conclude that the change has failed purely due to the lack of postings. The poll would indicate everything is ok, but more significantly people have voted overwhelmingly in the negative by turning away from this platform to discuss cricket. It's a pity that at the height of such a series there's virtually no discussion taking place here.

Is that because of the software? Or because the community doesn't have the write active management in place?

As a long time lurker I can honestly say that this place is on the decline.

For starters, the move away from vB was unnecessary especially when the replacement was largely untested and only in the beta stage. Yes, it functions perfectly well but lacks the sheen and development of the more established providers. If basic was what you were after then you've got it however, it is by no means feature rich.

The forum software is but a minor grumble as there are clearly bigger issues. Retaining the default skin is lazy; its far from pleasing to the eye and hardly screams 'cricket'. The blog pages have also been left as is despite a number of options to skin that particular template. To passing traffic it simply says 'we can't be arsed, so neither should you'.

Quality of the forum posters is middling to average to the extent that meaningful discussion is hard to come by. This would be fine if there were other distractions but no, not a sausage. No games, competitions or tangents to get involved in which is made even more obvious by the slow nature of the board. How many posts a day - 50 a day at best?

Coaching section is a joke as some of the advice given out is laughable at best. How do you know who to trust and that anything written is actually worth trying out as opposed to detrimental or even dangerous? A vetting system should be in place denoting those who are valid and who have been certified.

There is no news, blogs or opinion pieces. Nothing to stimulate conversation and even when something does crop up it is often taken back to the same few topics. Frankly, it is a turn off and there is nothing to warrant repeat visits.

I could go on and on and on but hopefully you get the picture. It is not a case of this or that but the whole package. There is no management and the site layout is poor.

The theme is the least of your worries. The point I was trying to make is that the site needs to appear as though someone gives a damn about it. You have threads of spam (http://www.bigcricket.com/community...wi-fi-3g-64gb-for-just-250.57085/#post-396213) which no-one has deleted (at least the last goon who ran this place kept it clean on that front) and generally the site just drifts.

Ask yourself this, if you were a casual cricket fan would you make repeat visits here? I reckon most wouldn't as there is little incentive for them to do so. General chat is dead, coaching is largely spin and unless you play grade cricket in Australia you're not going to be posting in that area.

There is no leadership here, no-one cares.

Back