So, what do you think of the new BigCricket Forums?

What do you think of the new BigCricket Forums?

• Total voters
Like it Huss. First time I've been back since my hang up of the old admin hat. hopefully it might bring in the members

do enjoy the alerts that pop up in the top right hand corner when your thread is replied to

I've gotta tell you, when I went to my bookmarks and clicked BigCricket, the site loaded and I straight away thought I'd clicked the wrong one and hit the back button - everything has changed in a big way. I like it though, as Ljp said it's going to take some getting used to.

Two really minor things I've picked up in the few minutes I've looked around:
- Can an English (UK) be put into action for all us proper English speakers (don't mind the ironically terrible grammar :D)? This was the same on the old site.
- Arial or similar font type (as I am using) set as default as I think it is an easier font to read personally, plus is the standard font used for all things internet.

Also what has happened with the different region's boards? Now there is only an Australian board plus a general area. I know that the Aussie board is practically the only board that used to get used, but I still think having maybe an English and Indian board considering there are a number of English posters and a couple of Indian or Indian based ones. I think if you are going to bring more posters, particularly international, to the site there needs to be avenues available for them to post on. I think just having an 'international', 'general' and 'Australia' option will get quite cluttered in the long run. At least 'Australia', 'Other countries', 'International', 'General' and 'Past and Current Series'. General would be used for things such as questioning rules and raising an issue for example like 'Should there be the UDRS system?' and similar sorts of things.

Also would it be too much hassle to loosely outline all the new and/or improved features available to us now?

I've gotta tell you, when I went to my bookmarks and clicked BigCricket, the site loaded and I straight away thought I'd clicked the wrong one and hit the back button - everything has changed in a big way. I like it though, as Ljp said it's going to take some getting used to.
Two really minor things I've picked up in the few minutes I've looked around:
- Can an English (UK) be put into action for all us proper English speakers (don't mind the ironically terrible grammar :D)? This was the same on the old site.
- Arial or similar font type (as I am using) set as default as I think it is an easier font to read personally, plus is the standard font used for all things internet.

Also what has happened with the different region's boards? Now there is only an Australian board plus a general area. I know that the Aussie board is practically the only board that used to get used, but I still think having maybe an English and Indian board considering there are a number of English posters and a couple of Indian or Indian based ones. I think if you are going to bring more posters, particularly international, to the site there needs to be avenues available for them to post on. I think just having an 'international', 'general' and 'Australia' option will get quite cluttered in the long run. At least 'Australia', 'Other countries', 'International', 'General' and 'Past and Current Series'. General would be used for things such as questioning rules and raising an issue for example like 'Should there be the UDRS system?' and similar sorts of things.

Fonts and such I'll look into once I get my full admin powers back.

As for the other forums, yes, I agree with in some ways but the truth of the matter is that no-one actually posts in those areas. I'd rather have them cluttered but 'busy' than separated and dead. It will be reviewed on a regular basis but for now, less is more.

Also would it be too much hassle to loosely outline all the new and/or improved features available to us now?

To be honest not much. We've lost anything which was an add on in vB (vBookie etc). The only upside is built in social media functionality (see the Facebook like button at the bottom of each thread) and a more modern back-end/code. The software has only been out for a few days so there isn't much to actually add onto the forum - it's just a basic forum.

You're going to have bear with us a little as we get things in order. New software, new things to learn.

Big upside is that we have wordpress for the blog.

Like. Still getting used to it.

A smaller default font would be nice, at least in the forum area. The post width is fairly narrow as it is, I'm finding I'm doing a lot of scrolling to read the same amount of content as I do in vBulletin.

Regarding the width, unless you're planning on putting ads on either side it would be nice to make full use of the screen width.

I'm not sure I like seeing avatars beside every thread. Is it necessary? No avs would give a cleaner interface.

Everything is on default at the moment. Plan is to skin the home page and then sort out the forum. A few things will be trial and error though.

It would be nice to make the subforums a bit more prominent in the user list. I had to hunt around a little for the Australia forum.

Sorry, I know things are very temporary - I'm just posting as I notice things.

I've noticed that as well and I'm on. The back end is pretty similar but certain things are different, hence taking a bit of time to find things.

Has the Subscribed Forums functionality disappeared? The Watched Threads screen looks a lot like the old "My BigCricket", but without that aspect.

Probably not such an issue here where the forum list is pretty short, but I'd definitely add that functionality before considering rolling it out to the other Big sites. There's no way I'd want to navigate the hundreds of BigSoccer forums without my Subscribed Forums list.

Being an old git I'm sitting here thinking if it aint busted why go fixing it? It looks like a blog and like Boris I thought for the first few seconds it was the wrong place. I've had a scout around and it looks like you've probably transferred most stuff over, although saying that where's the cricket games and space invaders? It's just different and no doubt we'll get used to. Let's hope it draws in more people and more comments.

Well, apparently my gender is in question... I can live with that. When you spend as much time as I do with rugby and cricket, you begin the wonder!
My age is listed as 2,009... to be honest, I feel it :D.

I have been whizzing around the new format, on and off, for a while and I love it. I particularly love the new smilies... just like looking in a mirror. Well done... can't wait to see what comes next.

I miss QuickEdit on posts.

Is it perhaps possible to set up posts with alternating colours (say maybe white then light gray)? I like the minimalist design but there's a bit of a lack of differentiation between where one post ends and the next begins.

Back