South Africa v West Indies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: South Africa v West Indies

kizza said:
when are aussie gonna play against south africa again??
south africa are a great team and they actually give australia a challenge
south africa will come to australia in december.
yeah they are a great team but as far as challenging us goes they are no better than other teams. they have won just 1 out of their last 10 tests against us.

I'd say that he's on the boderline of still having potential but time is running out for him to really make a mark. An average of over 40 is too high for an international strike bowler, plus he needs to bring his economy down a bit.

At the moment he is seemingly suited to the one day format but if he learns control then he may well develop into a reasonable test match bowler. One for sure, is that eh would benefit by having some decent bowlers around him but I can't see that being the case for a fair while yet.

Ads said:
how do u guys rate the west indian fast bowler Fidel Edwards ????

He is talented, but will only thrive if he bowls short, sharp spells whilst the medium pacers bowl longer spells. When Fidel slows down due to fatigue, he becomes useless.

The case with all but the fastest of fast bowlers is that when they bowl at full pace, they are most effective. Fidel relies mostly on energy rather than rhythm to do this and should bowl shorter spells to allow him to bowl at full capacity.

Mike111 said:
south africa will come to australia in december.
yeah they are a great team but as far as challenging us goes they are no better than other teams. they have won just 1 out of their last 10 tests against us.

I think Aus have had a psychological grip over SA over the years. I think we had our best chance to beat them a couple of years ago with the Mark Waugh incident hitting or not hitting his stumps.

At the moment SA's batting lacks consistency which is where AUS have been great. If one batsman fails someone else always steps up and scores a hundred. Hopefully it changes for SA as it looks as if the batsmen are starting to get some form. Its still a fairly young side which is showing signs of maturing.

The bowling with the addition of Steyn and to a lesser extent Harris has certainly given Smith more options and also looks more balanced. There's also Zondeki waiting in the wings. He's taken over 50 first-class wickets so far this season. Pollock looks hungry again as well. The tail is a bit long when he's not playing and thats where the top order batsmen need to step up if he's not playing.

Will be good to have both SA & AUS in top form when they meet later this year as the last series in AUS was a bit of a let down as it was so one-sided.

Coming back to SA vs Windies. I was at the 2nd test, and was really impressed with Bravo and also Taylor. Powell was disappointing and Edwards didn't do much bowling cos of the injury. Gayle definitely has a big influence on this young team and one of the most exciting players to watch. He nearly took out a couple of spectators with those sixes in the second innings! Chanderpaul was a rock once again. It was good to see the Windies competitive again though. Unfortunately they couldn't sustain it. But good for SA though!

South Africa have declared at 556 in just 120 overs. They've really dominated the bowlers. The scorecard makes good reading for South Africa. I think this will be a innings defeat for West Indies, who need to make at least 418 runs to make South Africa bat again. It can be done though. This is just the second day of the match!

disappointing from west indies point of view. they couldnt challenge south africa in the last two matches. i knew something like this would happen. the same thing happened last year when india toured them. they won the first match and were defeated badly in the next two.

Quiet for the one day series then, but can't say I blame anybody.

Another defeat for the West Indies, this time by 5 wickets. Parchment and Chattergoon started well but the middle order didn't really contribute much and it was left to a last wicket stand of 50 plus to get them up to 263.

A well paced reply by South Africa with De Villiers and and Smith both passing 50. Fairy tale ending for Pollock as he hit the winning runs in his final game on his home ground.

The innings by Devon Smith put West Indies in a good position but batsmen currently in the middle need to get a move on. Just 8 overs left and I think on this pitch West Indies are going to need 300.

they have lost the plot. the innings might not even last 50 overs. its going to be 5-0 south africa.

They have managed to post a very respectable 295. I think West Indies need to bowl well despite the total because this pitch seems very good for batting.

When I checked the score this morning I thought they would have been good for 310 or so, think they are a little short on this wicket.

What do you guys think about Patrick Browne? I'm surprised that he is playing as a batsman when he only has 1 or 2 first class 50s for Barbados......just goes to show that when you get an opportunity you have to grab it with both hands

at one point i though he was too slow and west indies would lose the momentum and end up with 260-270 but he hung around and id say he got some very valuable runs for west indies. unlucky to be 1 short of his fifty.

Play is going to resume shortly. It's good for South Africa that overs haven't been lost. The required rate is already over 6 and if Duckworth/Lewis is used it could rise even further.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back