South Division 10/11

re: South Division 10/11

Given there's no restrictions on OS players now, anyone heard of any Sth clubs picking up OS recruits?

BTW - anyone got any idea about when the fixtures will be out? Only 3 weeks away - a bit frustrating!

WristSpin;364461 said:
yeah these fixtures are a killer, surely they will release them in the next week or so?

I guess they've got more work to do this season. They can't just trudge out the same, old tired fixtures they've been doing for the last 10 years - you know like how you play the same club at the same ground for 5 or so consecutive seasons

Hi Guys,

3 weeks from the start of the season, just a quick one to wish everyone the best of seasons.

Play hard and play fair! enjoy your cricket and friendly banter on the field and enjoy the aftermatch festivities even more.

Go Hammers!!!!

southern sledge;364540 said:
I believe there are problems with ground availability and problems with the Saturday one-day comp.

I have no doubt that fixturing is a nightmare and made especially difficult when grounds are being redeveloped, etc, however why is it that Premier, Subbies (of which I consistently read we are on par with - if not better than), and even CMCA have all their fixtures out?

2 weeks to go and no-one has any idea as to who or where they are playing for the season - let alone Round 1!!!

If the VTCA are fir dinkum about being one of the elite turf competitions they should focus on things like getting the fixtures out at a reasonable time rather than defend their competition and constantly make excuses.

Life Member you are spot on.Without wanting to sound like a broken record and please correct me if they have come out but to my knowledge 12 days to go til round 1 and no fixtures. Its pretty hard to sell the comp to overseas players coming out or new players to the area when you tell them....errr we don't know.
On the playing side of things word is that a few of the big name recruits in the South are getting some big coin to play....they would be expect to carry them through a few games but teams could struggle if they don't i think.

underarm bowler;365826 said:
Life Member you are spot on.Without wanting to sound like a broken record and please correct me if they have come out but to my knowledge 12 days to go til round 1 and no fixtures. Its pretty hard to sell the comp to overseas players coming out or new players to the area when you tell them....errr we don't know.
On the playing side of things word is that a few of the big name recruits in the South are getting some big coin to play....they would be expect to carry them through a few games but teams could struggle if they don't i think.

While not having a fixture at this point is not ideal are u seriously saying your club has lost a player or failed to attract an o/s player because you wern't able to tell them if your at home or away in rd 1. If the o/s player is prepared to fly half way round the world for a game, a 20 min car ride to an away game shouldn't be to much of a concern.

Wasn't saying that we failed or gained a player on this basis just stating that it sounds tin pot when its brought up and the answer is....well we don't know 2 weeks to go.. Can fully understand why its hard to finalise it all but just a little bit of info such as if its a 2 or 1 day game wouldn't hurt.

underarm bowler;365917 said:
Wasn't saying that we failed or gained a player on this basis just stating that it sounds tin pot when its brought up and the answer is....well we don't know 2 weeks to go.. Can fully understand why its hard to finalise it all but just a little bit of info such as if its a 2 or 1 day game wouldn't hurt.

Agree Underarm - paints the VTCA as a mickey mouse comp.

Sth Division (09/10):

Beaumaris
Bentleigh
Brighton Districts
Chelsea
Cheltenham
Hampton
Maccabi Ajax
MHSOB
Murrumbeena
Port Melbourne

Who's going to be 'up there'?... My tips for top 4 (no particular order) - Bentleigh, Cheltenham, Hampton, Port Melb.

SS i think you won't be too far off the mark with those tips.i'd prob put Brighton and Chelsea in the mix too but would expect most teams to beat each other during the course of the season. Hard to say as most teams havn't revealed their overseas players or how many yet....could be the factor between the good and average teams this year.

Southern Son;365938 said:
Agree Underarm - paints the VTCA as a mickey mouse comp.

Well said SS. This is really a poor performance on the part of the VTCA Exec (or whomever is responsible for the fixturing).

I can understand and acknowledge that there are things beyond the VT's control which would make fixturing difficult, however I think it's a sad indictment on the competition when 11 days out of the competition there are no fixtures.

The VT is always quick to get on the Clubs back when they have not affiliated in time, or they have made a mistake or an accident with something administrative, yet they can't even get a fixture out for Clubs to plan around - lets not forget it is the Clubs that make this competition.

How about a bit of communication on the part of the VT with this problem? I think they have done a great job in bringing in the points system (although time will tell), however I think the Clubs deserve a lot more respect than to be left in the dark about when a fixture might happen to make an appearance!!

underarm bowler;365960 said:
SS i think you won't be too far off the mark with those tips.i'd prob put Brighton and Chelsea in the mix too but would expect most teams to beat each other during the course of the season. Hard to say as most teams havn't revealed their overseas players or how many yet....could be the factor between the good and average teams this year.

Yeah, Brighton will be up there with Tillakaratne, Lasky, Stewart and co. Not so sure about Chelsea though - they've been a basket case for a number of years and obviously rely on one or two guns eg Chapple. I'd expect the top 5 or 6 will be super competitive, with the rest to struggle against all. Will be interesting to see how playing so many more one-dayers and when they are scheduled for, will shape the ladder. Clubs will want to endeavour to have their best sides on the park for these matches- don't want to drop too many cheap games due to unavailabilities etc

Time will tell whether any OS players will have an impact. Heard any whispers with regard to this Underarm?... Might be time for a few team's 2nd tier players to step up.

lifemember;365962 said:
Well said SS. This is really a poor performance on the part of the VTCA Exec (or whomever is responsible for the fixturing).

I can understand and acknowledge that there are things beyond the VT's control which would make fixturing difficult, however I think it's a sad indictment on the competition when 11 days out of the competition there are no fixtures.

The VT is always quick to get on the Clubs back when they have not affiliated in time, or they have made a mistake or an accident with something administrative, yet they can't even get a fixture out for Clubs to plan around - lets not forget it is the Clubs that make this competition.

How about a bit of communication on the part of the VT with this problem? I think they have done a great job in bringing in the points system (although time will tell), however I think the Clubs deserve a lot more respect than to be left in the dark about when a fixture might happen to make an appearance!!

Well put Lifemember... It doesn't sit well with their stated desire to improve communication from this season on (which reading between the lines is the reason why P. Howarth got the flick as Secretary)

From all accounts they made a big song and dance about being more professional in this regard at pre-season meetings. Interesting to note too their plan for a comp. administrator was quietly scuttled. Maybe they're spreading themselves too thin?

Southern Son;366079 said:
Hooray!... What's happened to the promised 7 2-dayers and 7 1-dayers (play everyone twice) Too hard basket?
If you have a good look instead of being critical it is in South A starting with 4 one-dayers.

well good for South A what about the rest of us that have to put up with 2 day games....this response will be met with the same old...well don't play in the comp if you don't like it....but i can be pretty certain that if local cricket doesn't revert to more 1 day cricket in the next 5 years clubs will drop out...fold etc. Those who say the longer form of the game isn't fading are kidding themselves.

Back