South Division 2011/12

Some rather humorous posts on here over the past few days.

Just remember that Cheltenham is one of only a few clubs that actually earned the right to play in South Division by WINNING A FLAG (Old Mentonians, Chelsea, Hampton the others) rather than getting a cheap call up.

I actually don't understand where all the vitriol has come from here. Play the game hard, but play it fair and have a beer after the game. Isn't that what local cricket is all about? I do have to laugh about any Brighton C.C person referring to any other club as a rabble and complaining about supporter behaviour. Pot. Kettle. Black.

Build a bridge lads and get over it. Lets just be happy to be playing in a strong local competition with some great rivalries. Enough of the sooking and mud throwing.

Some rather humorous posts on here over the past few days.

Just remember that Cheltenham is one of only a few clubs that actually earned the right to play in South Division by WINNING A FLAG rather than getting a cheap call up (Old Mentonians, Chelsea, Hampton the others).

Pretty sure Hampton won the South A flag last year

Sorry, I put the other premiership winning clubs in the wrong part of the sentence. All fixed.
im all for playing the game hard, but when they are verbally abusing anyone that fields on the boundary, swearing and hurling abuse whilst children and women are around then that is crossing the line. Players sledging whilst they are fielding at squre leg and questioning the umpires decison also whilst filling in at square leg, i dont think any of the above is playing the game hard. As for having a beer after the game, yep no worries but when the opposition(cheltenham) bring in their own alcohol it just says even more what a disgrace of a club they are.

As for having a beer after the game, yep no worries but when the opposition(cheltenham) bring in their own alcohol it just says even more what a disgrace of a club they are.

Have played at the club for 10+ years and haven't never known that to be the case. If your going to take pot shots, at least get your facts right.

On the sledging stuff, if an umpire thinks it crosses the line, they are entitled to do something about it. If not, I'd worry more about making some runs/taking a few wickets than having a sook on an internet forum. Every clubs sledges, some better than others. Its a part of cricket so deal with it. Go play lawn bowls if your so thin skinned.

Have played at the club for 10+ years and haven't never known that to be the case. If your going to take pot shots, at least get your facts right.

On the sledging stuff, if an umpire thinks it crosses the line, they are entitled to do something about it. If not, I'd worry more about making some runs/taking a few wickets than having a sook on an internet forum. Every clubs sledges, some better than others. Its a part of cricket so deal with it. Go play lawn bowls if your so thin skinned.[/quo

Isnt a pot shot superfreak, is an actual fact you dumb muppet.

If you think grown men hurling unprovoked abuse at opposition players as they are on a sporting field is acceptable then you are at the right club. If you think people swearing and being idiots in front of ladies and small children then you are at the right club. Isnt about being thin skinned is about having a bit of respect and not carrying on like idiots. I wonder what the parents of the young boys in that team must think when they come down and watch and see the carry on. Am sure it makes them think twice about their sons playing at such a wonderful club.

Audible swearing in front of women and children isn't condoned at any club, most of all at Cheltenham. If it takes place in the heat of battle on the middle of a sporting ground, as I said, its up to the umpires to judge whether it crosses the line. That is what they are there for.

95% of all Chelt players came up through the juniors so if there was any problem with player behaviour and perception of the club, I'm sure that wouldn't be the case. In the lower divisions there are a host of dads playing with their sons, they love playing at the club and have never raised any concerns about player behaviour/swearing etc.

Is Chapple still playing at Chelsea?? If so, I can't wait to hear what you've got to say on here after playing against him if your worried about a little bit of sledging!

Getting on here and sooking up doesn't achieve anything, other then making you look silly. If you have a problem, approach someone from the club/league or an umpire, or if need be, get your club to do it on your behalf if you don't feel comfortable doing so.

I agree with what's been said about Cheltenham- Some of their club suporters are completely feral in what they say. By far the worst crowd i've ever experienced playing cricket. Their Junior club also has some questionable people as well... They do have some extremely talented players come through them though. Unfortunately i'm not sure about their depth this season, after looking at their recent team i'd suggest they may have some issues. There was one player in particular in their First XI last round that would play 3'rds at most local clubs.
As far as Chapple goes- i believe he will only play a few games this season when it's convienant to him. Agree about the sledging from him, one of the best in the VTCA and has been at it for the past 10+ years.

forgetting about specific clubs for a moment, maybe the confusion about sledging is the difference between running around making a Janice Munt of yourself and your team/club all arvo and delivering a short, sharp verbal, designed to unsettle/distract/amuse the opposition player at a point in the game.
Continual inane crap with no relevance to the context of the game wears pretty thin whoever's delivering it. Sheep stations there ain't. Amatuers lucky enough to get the nod from the Mrs, or kids who've managed to dodge their boss for the afternoon, couldn't give a flying f*&k about your personality issues or lack of perspective, so smarten up for f*&k's sake!

on to more important stuff- who's gunna win this round?

Mentone v port - what's going on down at port big guns not firing dwindling numbers... Cash dried up?? Mentone bowls well and I'm tipping them to upset port this week.

Chelt v Brighton don't know either side really but Chelt bats made some runs last week so going with home team advantage

Hampton v Chelsea Hampton very reliant on there two poms and those Chelsea boys can bat! Tipping Chelsea to rack up a massive total and beat Hampton at home

OM v tangy couple of new bowlers for tangy did all the damage against port but there batting is always brittle 2 dayer at home for OM they should outclass tangy and get the win, expect this to be closer than it looks on paper!

Beena v parky another top of the table clash 2 weeks in a row for parky the battle between parky bowlers vs lamb should decide the winner in this game, toss of the coin but seeings I'm biased parky in a nail biter!

Anyone know what the story is with Ashley Hudson and another chap transferring to Old Mentone from Parkdale United? He played the first game with PUCC and was also their captain I thought? Seems odd.

Anyone know what the story is with Ashley Hudson and another chap transferring to Old Mentone from Parkdale United? He played the first game with PUCC and was also their captain I thought? Seems odd.

don't think he was skipper but maybe Round 2, PUCC 10/36 in 24.2 overs would explain some of it .....

Not a great deal of action to chat about. Looks like Parkdale were impressive in dimissing Beena for a low score then stamping their authority on the game. I'd say Beena need to prove they are not a one man team. I see Chelsea's 2nds were rolled for 29 by Hampton. Wet wicket or not thats impressively low scoring and would highlight the clubs weakness in depth.

I can inform you UB, Chelsea 2s won the toss and batted on a pitch that was bone dry, hard as a rock, after all they did have 3 sets of covers on the wicket. The highlight of the day was witnessing the amount of jim beam cans consumed by the Chelsea 1st XI, they sure can drink !!

Back