South Division 2012/13

On a positive note (although not South Division), I see that Carnegie have four teams in the VTCA again. That's a trend I would like to see continue.

Some big results this weekend, surely Parkdale have to be early flag favourites, dingley and moorabbin park struggling early doors, 4 or 5 teams look like battling it out for 4 th spot at end of season

Sad news that Tom Hardman who was a young english overseas with Cheltenham a few years ago has died aged only 21 years old.
A terrible loss. A great young fella who had just been appointed captain at Leeds/Bradford MCCU in first class cricket.
He was planning on returning to Chelt next year and the boys at the club are simply devastated.
A finer young man you couldn't meet.

I see Daykin has scored his third century in as many matches. That's surely an uncommon occurrence in the VTCA. Possibly made even rarer by his other two innings this season, in the first game, being a king pair.

They are looking good, Port, as they always do when Daykin scores runs...

Parkdale also look good, although for the opposite reason - they seem to be bowling very well. These two teams meet in round 8 at Port, and again in round 11 at Parkdale. If things keep going as they have been, they could be two very interesting matches.

I see Daykin has scored his third century in as many matches. That's surely an uncommon occurrence in the VTCA. Possibly made even rarer by his other two innings this season, in the first game, being a king pair.

They are looking good, Port, as they always do when Daykin scores runs...

Parkdale also look good, although for the opposite reason - they seem to be bowling very well. These two teams meet in round 8 at Port, and again in round 11 at Parkdale. If things keep going as they have been, they could be two very interesting matches.

From memory I don't think parky has ever beaten port in the 1s so it will be a good test to see how the boys are going. It's good to see some depth there missing two of our best bowlers of the past few years everyone else has stepped up

Gee there's been some big scores this season, both at the team level and individually. Dingley and Murrumbeena both getting in excess of 320, and both with individual 150s. Campbell batting what looks like almost the whole day for 154, while Lamb batted just 136 minutes, which means his 151 came before tea.

I was expecting Chelsea to feature this year, especially after demolishing Port, but with three successive losses they need to turn their season around.

Gee there's been some big scores this season, both at the team level and individually. Dingley and Murrumbeena both getting in excess of 320, and both with individual 150s. Campbell batting what looks like almost the whole day for 154, while Lamb batted just 136 minutes, which means his 151 came before tea.

I was expecting Chelsea to feature this year, especially after demolishing Port, but with three successive losses they need to turn their season around.
And Chappy was in the 3rds yesterday

Joke of a club....i believe that there 2nd turf team playing in South C3 should be made to play in South Division 2nds. Can't believe the VTCA fell to Chelsea's request to drop down a grade. Tough luck that their no good and their depth is pathetic! Who care's if they lost outright every game! There own fault that it's come about this way. 10 year's ago they were a strong club, but now just a rabble! As for Chapps....nothing changed. Was down at Chelsea Rec bad mouthing the opposition team when they we're struggling week 1 of the game...only to see them lose with an insipid batting performance.
For what it's worth....it's their 3rds that play on the carpet and their 2nds in South C3.

Looks like South is a race between 3 clubs. Ports batting always depends on Daykin, Parkdale seem to have more depth than previous years and Brighton have obviously picked up a gun in Bacon. Even at this stage of the year looks like finishing on top could be important and have a easier path to the grand final

I reckon it's a bit early to make that call - but if I had to I would nominate Parkdale as the team to beat.

Parky are the only team in the top 5 who have won 4 matches, and also the only team to have beaten a team currently in the four - having beaten both Brighton and Beena.
Brighton are on top, but their three wins have been against the teams which currently hold down positions 7, 8 and 10.
Port are 3rd, but their three wins have been against the teams which are 6th, 8th and 9th.
Murrumbeena hold down 4th, with their wins against the teams in 5, 6 and 7.
Cheltenham, 5th, have only defeated the teams who are 7th and 9th.

The next team on the ladder is Heatherton, with one outright win and three losses.

So far this season we have mostly had teams currently sitting 1-5 playing teams 6-10.

Let's see what the situation is at Christmas. Parkdale play Cheltenham (5th) and Moorabbin Park (10th) in rounds 6 and 1, and on form should be 6-0 at the break. Brighton meet Port (3) and Mentone (9); Port have Brighton (1) and Beena (4), while Beena play Moorabbin Park (10) and Port (3). I'd give one win each, with the Brighton-Port game (in the park) up for grabs. Fifth placed Cheltenham have Parkdale (2) and Heatherton (6).

Of course, the weather could play a big part, with Saturday likely to be rain affected, and possibly Sunday to be too.

I reckon it's a bit early to make that call - but if I had to I would nominate Parkdale as the team to beat.

Parky are the only team in the top 5 who have won 4 matches, and also the only team to have beaten a team currently in the four - having beaten both Brighton and Beena.
Brighton are on top, but their three wins have been against the teams which currently hold down positions 7, 8 and 10.
Port are 3rd, but their three wins have been against the teams which are 6th, 8th and 9th.
Murrumbeena hold down 4th, with their wins against the teams in 5, 6 and 7.
Cheltenham, 5th, have only defeated the teams who are 7th and 9th.

The next team on the ladder is Heatherton, with one outright win and three losses.

So far this season we have mostly had teams currently sitting 1-5 playing teams 6-10.

Let's see what the situation is at Christmas. Parkdale play Cheltenham (5th) and Moorabbin Park (10th) in rounds 6 and 1, and on form should be 6-0 at the break. Brighton meet Port (3) and Mentone (9); Port have Brighton (1) and Beena (4), while Beena play Moorabbin Park (10) and Port (3). I'd give one win each, with the Brighton-Port game (in the park) up for grabs. Fifth placed Cheltenham have Parkdale (2) and Heatherton (6).

Of course, the weather could play a big part, with Saturday likely to be rain affected, and possibly Sunday to be too.

Yep Brighton v Port should be interesting and might determine if Brighton are pretenders or not. Parkdale will thrash what sounds like a weakened Cheltenham. Anyone know what took place in the Beena v Cheltenham clash sounds like Cheltenham up to their old tricks and a couple of their more established players up for a holiday?

Yep Brighton v Port should be interesting and might determine if Brighton are pretenders or not. Parkdale will thrash what sounds like a weakened Cheltenham. Anyone know what took place in the Beena v Cheltenham clash sounds like Cheltenham up to their old tricks and a couple of their more established players up for a holiday?
Another crap decision by the vtca. It's hardly rained surely most grounds would be ready to go by 1pm. Why is it everytime they call off play it turns out to be a nice day weatherwise.

Yep fair enough didn't realise decks were as rain affected as they were sledge, post: 550293, member: 3463"]All turf comps were called off before the VTCA[/quote]

Might have to re access who is favourite after this round. Watched Port vs Beena and must say it was a very good game. Surprisingly good wicket but very slow outfield. Both sides seem good enough to be there when it counts IMO. i wonder how Bighton are going to feel, now knowing if they played Port yesterday it would've been a Daykin free side. Pretty stiff i say. But maybe they are not the one man team everyone suggests they are. He didn't do much today. Boardman from Port was very impressive with bat and ball. Lamb looked good and seemed to get a howler LB, could here the edge from the grandstand.

Is the top already set in stone???

It seems Port may have a little more depth this season. What's happening with Tim Dale? Is yet to play a senior game in the first half of the season. Openers Dearing & Towson also not on the scorecoard in todays game. It will be very interesting to see the outcome of next weeks game between Port and Brighton District!
Parkdale rolled for 69 by Moorabbin Park is a bit of a shock. Does anyone know the result between Brighton District and Mentone?

Believe Dearing and Towson were "rested" for team balance. Also heard Dale's work commitments have ruled him out of the year so far. Would he walk straight into Ports side?? Never seen him play, but port boys rate him high. Both as a player and a bloke

Back