South Division 2012/13

I havnt seen Dale play but he was at South Melbourne for quite a few years and played over 50 games in the 1s. You would think he would be very handy.

Heard word that Mentone have been shafted by their big name import Luke Fletcher. One match and he's sought a clearance to play for his old club in the DDCA. Pretty poor form from a first-class player. A club puts in hard yards to accommodate overseas players and rely on them to honor their terms of agreement, to renege at this point is lacking in integrity. All the best to Mentone for the remainder of the season.

dale played 2's against brighton district, went out for a 2nd ball duck, and got cheap wickets at the end when batters were going for a slog. Based on his performance today cannot see him making a massive impact in 1's.

Port beat brighton today in the 1's, Daykin dominated again. Although i would still think brighton and parkdale are the best bet for the granny. Port rely on daykin a little too much for mine.

They passed them 1 down. It's a bit different then bowling to the bottom sides batting line ups that they've been smashing. Thats about as big a flogging as you can get in a 1 dayer. Port will be extremely hard to beat from here, they do rely on Daykin heavily but when he fires they are just about unbeatable. They have a tough run home but they could also end some of their serious contenders chances. I think it Port vs Parkdale, if so they would've played each other 3 times after xmas. Can't see Brighton going to far. Tell me where their runs will come from Sidvic. I'd have Beena ahead of them, because they consistently make great scores.

They passed them 1 down. It's a bit different then bowling to the bottom sides batting line ups that they've been smashing. Thats about as big a flogging as you can get in a 1 dayer. Port will be extremely hard to beat from here, they do rely on Daykin heavily but when he fires they are just about unbeatable. They have a tough run home but they could also end some of their serious contenders chances. I think it Port vs Parkdale, if so they would've played each other 3 times after xmas. Can't see Brighton going to far. Tell me where their runs will come from Sidvic. I'd have Beena ahead of them, because they consistently make great scores.
On a great ground

Sledge... surely you have something better to do than constantly bag us out over something we have no control over.. Ask the Port boys and even Mentone, the wicket is ok... even for both sides and outfield is starting to improve (last two one dayers have had 300 odd runs scored for the day). Go worry about your club. Until the council helps us out there is nothing we can do about it.. Maybe you and the VTCA can make sure the umpires understand the new closure of play rules for one days games because clearly its still misunderstood as we saw first hand against Mentone.

Sledge... surely you have something better to do than constantly bag us out over something we have no control over.. Ask the Port boys and even Mentone, the wicket is ok... even for both sides and outfield is starting to improve (last two one dayers have had 300 odd runs scored for the day). Go worry about your club. Until the council helps us out there is nothing we can do about it.. Maybe you and the VTCA can make sure the umpires understand the new closure of play rules for one days games because clearly its still misunderstood as we saw first hand against Mentone.

Hey mate it's best to just act like sledge doesn't exist... He is a negative bitter old man with nothing meaningful to input to this forum. Epitome of a keyboard warrior.

Totally agree with the last comment surely the umpires know the basic rule of when the game can finish.
We had 4.3 overs to go and i was on 82, been 12 years or more since i made a ton needless to say not happy
JAN

I've been looking at the ladder and the fixture for the remainder of the season. I reckon we are in for a most interesting finale, potentially with six teams all still contention in round 11, and with all six drawn to play one another in that round.

As much as I hate to write off any teams chances so early, the bottom four teams look to me to be out of the race. Heatherton (7th) are only two games out, but considering that those four teams have only won five matches between them, and only one against a team from outside that group (Moorabbin Park beating Port), I suspect it is unlikely that the semi-finalists will contain any of them. Mind you, Heatherton play Mentone, Cheltenham and Chelsea in rounds 7-9 and if they can win them all then they will be well within reach, with Brighton and Mentone to finish with.

I think that Chelsea are a good chance to be in the four after round 9, considering that Murrumbeena (4) and Cheltenham (5) both have to play Port (1) and Brighton (2) in those rounds, and Chelsea play three of the bottom four.

Port look to have the hardest draw, with 3 matches against teams currently in the four, and four against the top six, while Brighton only one a single game against a team in the four, but three against the top six. Chelsea only have two games against top six teams, although both are currently in the four. Cheltenham also have three games against top four teams. Parkdale and Murrumbeena each have two games against current top four teams, and another against fifth or six.

The last round should be a beauty. Port are at Parkdale, Brighton at home to Chelsea, and Beena go to Chelt. I would be very surprised if the final four is settled before that round.

No real predictions, just observations...

And by the way, like the others, I find it incredible that the umpires do not know the one-day rules. Although to be fair, I believe the original VTCA proposal was for the match to end once there was a result, and they did say that all rules would be passed en-bloc. The change to allow the team batting second to bat for 40 (or 32) overs was perhaps not promulgated as well as it could have been.

I've been looking at the ladder and the fixture for the remainder of the season. I reckon we are in for a most interesting finale, potentially with six teams all still contention in round 11, and with all six drawn to play one another in that round.

As much as I hate to write off any teams chances so early, the bottom four teams look to me to be out of the race. Heatherton (7th) are only two games out, but considering that those four teams have only won five matches between them, and only one against a team from outside that group (Moorabbin Park beating Port), I suspect it is unlikely that the semi-finalists will contain any of them. Mind you, Heatherton play Mentone, Cheltenham and Chelsea in rounds 7-9 and if they can win them all then they will be well within reach, with Brighton and Mentone to finish with.

I think that Chelsea are a good chance to be in the four after round 9, considering that Murrumbeena (4) and Cheltenham (5) both have to play Port (1) and Brighton (2) in those rounds, and Chelsea play three of the bottom four.

Port look to have the hardest draw, with 3 matches against teams currently in the four, and four against the top six, while Brighton only one a single game against a team in the four, but three against the top six. Chelsea only have two games against top six teams, although both are currently in the four. Cheltenham also have three games against top four teams. Parkdale and Murrumbeena each have two games against current top four teams, and another against fifth or six.

The last round should be a beauty. Port are at Parkdale, Brighton at home to Chelsea, and Beena go to Chelt. I would be very surprised if the final four is settled before that round.

No real predictions, just observations...

And by the way, like the others, I find it incredible that the umpires do not know the one-day rules. Although to be fair, I believe the original VTCA proposal was for the match to end once there was a result, and they did say that all rules would be passed en-bloc. The change to allow the team batting second to bat for 40 (or 32) overs was perhaps not promulgated as well as it could have been.

Mentone, Chelsea and Cheltenham all are quite capable sides with some handy players,
At Heatherton we are realistic in saying that we are a mid table side this year, of we avoid relegation and are thereabouts come finals time then we have had a successful season, not many clubs get promoted, have no overseas players and only pay incentives to one or two players and stay up in a higher division.

Parkdale CC is hosting a Southern Ashes One Day match on Sunday Jan 20th from 10am-3pm. Players in the VTCA South Div have given a great response, and a UK XI led by Port Melbourne's Jimmy Cole will play an Aussie Invitational XI led by Murrumbeena's Brett Hardham, in a 40 over one dayer. Should be a good opportunity to see some of the best local and overseas players in the South having a red hot crack at it! James Mills and Graeme Hill will be officiating. All welcome to what we hope will be an annual match rotated amongst the clubs!

Parkdale CC is hosting a Southern Ashes One Day match on Sunday Jan 20th from 10am-3pm. Players in the VTCA South Div have given a great response, and a UK XI led by Port Melbourne's Jimmy Cole will play an Aussie Invitational XI led by Murrumbeena's Brett Hardham, in a 40 over one dayer. Should be a good opportunity to see some of the best local and overseas players in the South having a red hot crack at it! James Mills and Graeme Hill will be officiating. All welcome to what we hope will be an annual match rotated amongst the clubs!

Hey mate can you post the teams if available at this stage I'm sure there would be some interest to see who is actually playing In this game

UK Squad
BDCC- William Jenkins
BDCC- George Bacon
Dingley- Sam Ryan
Parkdale- Alex Phillips
Parkdale- Steve Warner
Mentone- Chris Davies
Mentone- Karanjit Bansal
Murrumbeena- Jimmy Handley
Port Melbourne- James Cole (C)
Port Melbourne- Jack Boardman
Hampton- James Hawley
Mentone- Daniel Mires
Aussie Squad
Port Melbourne- Adnan Khawaja
Murrumbeena- Brett Hardham (C)
Parkdale- Greg Galloway
BDCC- Ross Stewart
BDCC- Stuart Gara
Dingley- Shane Campbell
Cheltenham- Jed Donnell
Heatherton- Dave Dervan
Chelsea- Robbie Lancaster
Mentone- Peter Duffy
Moorabbin Park- Michael Hillier
There ya go! As I said great response from all players and clubs approached and fairly strong teams available for both squads!

UK Squad
BDCC- William Jenkins
BDCC- George Bacon
Dingley- Sam Ryan
Parkdale- Alex Phillips
Parkdale- Steve Warner
Mentone- Chris Davies
Mentone- Karanjit Bansal
Murrumbeena- Jimmy Handley
Port Melbourne- James Cole (C)
Port Melbourne- Jack Boardman
Hampton- James Hawley
Mentone- Daniel Mires
Aussie Squad
Port Melbourne- Adnan Khawaja
Murrumbeena- Brett Hardham (C)
Parkdale- Greg Galloway
BDCC- Ross Stewart
BDCC- Stuart Gara
Dingley- Shane Campbell
Cheltenham- Jed Donnell
Heatherton- Dave Dervan
Chelsea- Robbie Lancaster
Mentone- Peter Duffy
Moorabbin Park- Michael Hillier
There ya go! As I said great response from all players and clubs approached and fairly strong teams available for both squads!
What insurances are players covered by?
If a player gets injured will his club be compensated?
Is this a fundraiser for the bushfire appeal?

What sort of compensation would a club seek for a player who has volunteered to play Rockshow?money? Player exchange? A few league points? A good idea whoever has put this game into reality and let's hope the weather stays good.

Yeah I agree great idea show case some of our local and international talent! I have noticed though that the vtca has scheduled the elimination t20 finals for Sunday the 20th and most teams who have given up players to this game are playing in the t20... Wonder what will happen, change dates of t20??

Yeah I agree great idea show case some of our local and international talent! I have noticed though that the vtca has scheduled the elimination t20 finals for Sunday the 20th and most teams who have given up players to this game are playing in the t20... Wonder what will happen, change dates of t20??[/quo

That T20 is scheduled to be completed by the 20th not required to be played on the 20th so hoping participating clubs can schedule an alternative date to allow players to play in the Ashes match

Back