Squads for West Indies Tour

Ljp86

Staff member
Squads for West Indies Tour

Cricket Australia has announced the squads for the upcoming tour of the West Indies which sees some new and not-so-new faces as well as some surprise selections.

Tests

Code:
Player                 State   Age 

Ricky Ponting (c)       Tas    33 
Michael Clarke (vc)     NSW    26 
Beau Casson             NSW    25 
Stuart Clark            NSW    32 
Brad Haddin             NSW    30 
Matthew Hayden          Qld    36 
Ben Hilfenhaus          Tas    25 
Michael Hussey           WA    32 
Phil Jaques             NSW    28 
Mitchell Johnson        Qld    26 
Simon Katich            NSW    32 
Brett Lee               NSW    31 
Stuart MacGill          NSW    37 
Ashley Noffke           Qld    30 
Andrew Symonds          Qld    32

Into the test squad comes Simon Katich who was rewarded after his record breaking season is domestic cricket which saw him set a new record for the most amount of runs scored in the Sheffield Shield/Pura Cup competition. Ashley Noffke's all-round performances for Queensland haven't gone unnoticed and he has found himself with a seat on the plane to the Carribbean. Ben Hilfenhaus too is also on the plane after recovering from injury and then putting in some sound performances for Tasmania during the year. The surprise choice though is Beau Casson, the former WA spinner who moved to NSW for better opportunities. It seems as if the move has worked and Casson will go on his first tour with the Australian team as back-up to the number one spinner Stuart MacGill. Casson is a left-arm chinamen bowler, the exact same bowling style as recently retired spinner, Brad Hogg. Casson has a some what wily, but effective action and is also a bigger spinner of the ball than what Hogg was. As expected, Brad Haddin comes in to the side as the keeper but he will have no young protege as he is travelling as the sole gloveman.

Casson's selection comes as a bit of a shock. Many expected that Bryce McGain, who was the best domestic spinner all season would get a call-up but it seems that the Australian selectors have decided to go with youth in order to build for the future.

The squad is dominated by New South Wales players, with the Blues providing a staggering eight of the 15 players set to go to the West Indies. Queensland is next best with four, Tasmania has two representatives while the retirements of Adam Gilchrist and Hogg sees Western Australia with only one representative, that player being Michael Hussey. South Australia and Victoria have no players in the 15-man squad.

Onto the one-day squad. A little different but generally much the same.

One Day Internationals

Code:
Player              State   Age 

Ricky Ponting (c)    Tas    33 
Michael Clarke (vc)  NSW    26 
Nathan Bracken       NSW    30 
Stuart Clark         NSW    32 
Brad Haddin          NSW    30 
Matthew Hayden       Qld    36 
James Hopes          Qld    29 
David Hussey         Vic    30 
Michael Hussey        WA    32 
Mitchell Johnson     Qld    26 
Brett Lee            NSW    31 
Shaun Marsh           WA    24 
Andrew Symonds       Qld    32 
Cameron White        Vic    24

A similar squad to the tests with a few changes. Nathan Bracken comes in as the token one-day selection due to his stellar one-day bowling with David Hussey earning a spot alongside his brother after some excellent one-day and Twenty20 domestic form. Cameron White is also into the team after an indifferent summer and is perhaps there as a back-up all-rounder to Symonds, Hopes and to a lesser extent, David Hussey.

Another surprise selection sees young WA player Shaun Marsh into the side. Marsh had a brilliant domestic Twenty20 tournament and a very good one-day season. Marsh coming into the squad sees the selectors focusing on youth for the future, well done Marshy.

New South Wales not as dominat this time round with 5 players out of 14 in the squad, marginally in front of Queensland who have four once again. Victoria and WA are tied on two reps each with Ricky Ponting the only Tassie player in the side. South Australia once again have no representatives.

Cricinfo article

Cricket Australia Press Release

Some interesting selections there and ones that will no doubt set tongues wagging. Thougts on the squads?

Re: Squads for West Indies Tour

The test squad looks well balanced with a good blend of younger players selected for this tour.

The First XI pretty much pick themselves, the main talking points being the vice captaincy of Clarke (good choice) and the make up of the rest of the squad.

Ashley Noffke and Doug Bollinger were the stand out fast bowlers of the domestic comp. Noffke, aided by his all-round ability and injury free run, getting the nod as the back up paceman. Hilfenhaus chosen with a view to the future.

With MacGill returning as the No. 1 spinner, I'm glad the selectors opted to blood another young spinner ahead of McGain. Casson, having a better year than Cullen Bailey, Dan Cullen and Nathan Hauritz, deserves his selection.

I don't think a reserve 'keeper is needed on this tour, and it also allows Haddin to settle into the team in his own right without looking over his shoulder.

As for the last batting spot; the selectors may have again 'looked to the future' in the possible selection of either Luke Pomersbach or Shaun Marsh, but Katich's form ensured he pretty much picked himself. David Hussey was the only man in contention who came close.

All in all, the selectors have chosen a talented and well rounded squad for the test series, with a solid mix of youth and experience.

The one-day squad however, is an entirely different matter...

Over-flowing with batting talent, it is sadly lacking in bowling options; 4 pace men and glaringly, no spinner. That doesn't leave a lot of room to experiment in the make up of the bowlers in the XI, or the rotation of the fast men.

Did the selectors have no faith in Australia's slow bowling stocks, or is there more to Cameron White than meets the eye? The main candidates have obvious shortcomings but their positives are also worth mentioning. McGain's age counts against him in an Australian side looking to revitalise itself after its recent losses to a youthful India. While he may struggle to keep up with the likes of Clarke and Symonds in the field, he does turn the ball and has an uncanny knack of taking a much needed wicket at just the right time. Xavier Doherty performed very well in the F.R.C. but did nothing in the long form of the game. The Cricket Academy graduate bowls in good areas though and knows how to hold a bat. Beau Casson played just the one limited over match this season, his figures of 3 for 56 from 7 overs tell the story; fair strike rate but kinda expensive. But he is a good competitor and bats well. Dan Cullen was not as prolific as expected and Shane Heal, like Doherty, shows promise but needs to do more in the first class game. Both Cullen and Heal are intelligent bowlers and move well through the crease. Any one of these players would have benefited from the experience gained from the tour.

By deciding that a front line spinner is surplus to requirements, the selectors have effectively issued a vote of no confidence in their ability to make an impact on the West Indian decks. While neither would be a likely starter, the exposure and knowledge gained from their Australian team mates would be invaluable.

Instead we have a team that is likely to have as many as 3 batsmen (or batting all-rounders) looking on at any one time, with little fast bowling support. And with the pace men needing a break at one stage or another, a fair bit of the slack will have to be picked up by the all-rounders. Whether they can provide a breakthrough (something they weren't able to do against India) rather than simply contain the opposition, remains to be seen.

I would say Australia will play a four-man pace attack with Hopes as the fifth bowler for most games. The squad shows that the selectos have little faith in our domestic one-day spinners. Players like Doherty, McGain and Heal have played well but still haven't been able to get a call-up. It looks as if either one of Symonds, Clarke and maybe David Hussey could all be called up to bowl some part-time spin at some stage or maybe a combination of two or three of them. I don't think the selectos expect too much much from them in the bowling side of things, they're mainly there to provide some variety or bowl a few overs if needed. If they can contain the West Indian batters well then they are doing their job, a wicket for these guys is a bonus. All three can be rather useful with the ball.

White won't play many games if any at all. He's only there as back-up to Symonds and Hopes and would probably only get a game if one of them is injured or unavailable for some other reason. I don't see him playing as purely a batter either with David Hussey and Shaun Marsh there as the reserve batters and both being in such good one-day form.

You're right though, it does limit the team's structure, perhaps the Caribbean pitches aren't as spin friendly as we think.

I'm worried that we might start being like South Africa- and their all pace attack with the one day squad. Great when it suits, but on a wrong pitch, with no variety, is begging to be slaughtered all over the park.

Symo & Clarke as first choice spinners...... hmmm ;)

Doug Bollinger has been added to the Australian squad as cover for the injured Ben Hilfenhaus. Bollinger had an outstanding 2007/08 season, taking 45 wickets at 15.44 and only found out about the news while on his honeymoon.

Bollinger was offered his first Cricket Australian contract a few weeks earlier.

Bollinger added to Australian squad to tour West Indies

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not all that surprising, Bollinger had a massive year and was on fire with the ball throughout the season. Along with Katich, it shows if you can maintain consistent form for a couple of seasons, you can out yourself on the radar of the selectors which is exactly what Doug has done here.

I didn't recognise him how he's grown back the hair ;). He plays for my local club, so I've been following him for a while now.

Good on him for getting recognised.

_39801517_doug_bollinger_300.jpg

Michael has made himself unavailable for the tour to West Indies due to personal reasons. Brad Hodge is expected to be his replacement.

More news to follow.

Clarke pulls out of tour

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A perplexing decision, not sure why he is out but we'll find out soon enough I guess. Don't agree with Hodge being included though, would have thought they'd include David Hussey.

This pretty much guarantees Simon Katich a spot in the starting eleven for the first test.

If true- thats a shame for him, as Clarke was looking very solid in the Indian series, and I was hoping he'd kick on.

However, go Kat go. Here's your chance Simon- take it, or forever hold your peace! ;)

Have to agree Ljp; the choice of Hodge as a replacement is a strange one.

David Hussey has had two successive outstanding domestic seasons, easily outpointing Hodge last year while taking out the Bill Lawry and Dean Jones Medals for Victoria's best Pura Cup and FR Cup player. (Add to this the KFC T20 Player of the Year.) His recent credentials are impeccable.

However, with the 32yo Katich next in line for a recall, I thought the selectors would have rolled the dice and blooded an 'inexperienced' player. And although D.Hussey (30) has a few years on Hodge (33), personally I would have gone with a much younger candidate to substitute for the Australian XI's youngest batsman. Either of W.A.'s talented stroke players, Luke Pomersbach or Shaun Marsh for me. With Cameron White as the dark horse.

Ogrebait;217927 said:
Have to agree Ljp; the choice of Hodge as a replacement is a strange one.

David Hussey has had two successive outstanding domestic seasons, easily outpointing Hodge last year while taking out the Bill Lawry and Dean Jones Medals for Victoria's best Pura Cup and FR Cup player. (Add to this the KFC T20 Player of the Year.) His recent credentials are impeccable.

However, with the 32yo Katich next in line for a recall, I thought the selectors would have rolled the dice and blooded an 'inexperienced' player. And although D.Hussey (30) has a few years on Hodge (33), personally I would have gone with a much younger candidate to substitute for the Australian XI's youngest batsman. Either of W.A.'s talented stroke players, Luke Pomersbach or Shaun Marsh for me. With Cameron White as the dark horse.

I wouldn't mind giving Marsh or Pomersbach a berth in that side, would give them some invaluble experience. Would have to go with Marsh on form at the moment, just outstanding in the IPL so far.

Marsh would be a fine choice (as would D.Hussey). Hodge just seems a bit of a backward step.

Conspiracy theory: Unless Hodge is there as a ready made 'alternative' to an out of form Ricky Ponting?

Good theory but very doubtful. Ponting could be in terrible form but I doubt the selectors would replace him when we are touring the West Indies. A place were we have struggled in the past, okay this series their side looks a little underdone, but it would rock the side dropping the captain.

They won't drop Ponting unless he is in shocking form or isn't doing his best as captain and I really don't see that happening as he would have to be doing very poorly in all areas for that to occur.

It also appears that Michael Clarke is on compassionate leave for the time being. His fiancée's (Lara Bingle) father has cancer. Clarke may return to the team at a later stage.

Michael Clarke is still on compassionate leave from the Australian squad after his fiancée Lara Bingle's father died on Saturday from cancer. The funeral for Graham Bingle is expected to be later this week meaning Clarke wouldn't be able to fly out until the weekend at the earliest should he decide to fly across. This would mean Clarke would miss the warm-up game and leave him lacking match practice for the first test.

It appears that Clarke taking his place for the first test is very much in doubt.

Clarke still unsure of departure date

A very hard decision to make for Clarke and also a tough one for the selectors. The selectors should tell Clarke to rest from the first test and spend time with Lara and her family back in Australia, it would probably be in his best interests also. The Bingle's would appreciate the support from Clarke after the untimely death of Graham Bingle.

I hope the selectors don't pick him without the proper warm-up games under his belt. I hate nothing more seeing players that are underdone and in the side due to past series records, squeezing out a player that has been able to get some match fitness up. Hope to see him over there around the first test and get some hard yards done in the nets.

Ljp doesn't know anything about cricket, he's an imposter!

Michael Clarke will not play the first test after staying behind for the funeral of his fiancée Lara Bingle's father. The funeral for the last Graham Bingle was held earlier today. Clarke will spend a few more days in Sydney with Lara and her family before touching down in the West Indies on May 31 which will be the second day of the first test.

This opens the door for Simon Katich, who is almost guaranteed a place in the starting eleven for the first test match against the West Indies.

Michael Hussey will take over the vice-captaincy role while Clarke remains unavailable.

Clarke out of first test

Good decision in my opinion. Not playing the first test is sensible, it will give Clarke a chance to acclimitise to the conditions and get some much needed net practice in before the start of the second game.

This well and truly opens the door for Simon Katich, it is almost certain he will get a place in the eleven for the first game. Katich must take this chance with both hands though, he can't afford to fail, he won't have too many opportunites left is he doesn't have a good game.

Are we going to start up a West Indies tour thread in the current tours forum or just keep using this?? :)

Ljp86;218067 said:
Michael Clarke is still on compassionate leave from the Australian squad after his fiancée Lara Bingle's father died on Saturday from cancer. The funeral for Graham Bingle is expected to be later this week meaning Clarke wouldn't be able to fly out until the weekend at the earliest should he decide to fly across. This would mean Clarke would miss the warm-up game and leave him lacking match practice for the first test.

It appears that Clarke taking his place for the first test is very much in doubt.

Clarke still unsure of departure date

A very hard decision to make for Clarke and also a tough one for the selectors. The selectors should tell Clarke to rest from the first test and spend time with Lara and her family back in Australia, it would probably be in his best interests also. The Bingle's would appreciate the support from Clarke after the untimely death of Graham Bingle.

He leaves Sydney on Wednesday. Should be there Friday. May not play until the second test.

Back