SL Malinga
AD Mathews
BMAJ Mendis
M Muralitharan
NLTC Perera
KTGD Prasad
LPC Silva
WU Tharanga

Oh, by the way if you haven't worked it out the poll is about the ODI series, not the one off T20.

While Australia are playing in India, Sri Lanka has been warming up for a short series.

The Lankans absolutely thrashed Queensland in their match, they score 301 for Queensland to reply with 189. Sri Lanka is a very good team at the moment, probably the best all round team in the world currently. Australia, though are at home and expecting a lot of players back from injury or from rest and have a deep line up with very good probably third XI players playing right now that are going to be on the bench for this series just waiting for a chance.

Couple of big comebacks ready for this series as well. Ferguson (if he doesn't get to play in this ODI in India, anyway) will make his comeback to international cricket, and there is also a possibility of Brett Lee or Peter Siddle coming back as well. Ponting has hinted towards Lee getting a game, so will be very interesting to see how he goes and if his body holds up.

Sri Lanka has sort of taken the back seat in terms of interest over the past few months so I know stuff all about their squad. This is Murali's farewell tour of Australia, hope the crowds do the sensible thing and give him a good send off, no need for what has happened in the past. Sri Lanka has a few run machines in the top order as well.

I'm tipping Australia to win but I'm not sure whether that's just my hopes or whether I believe that. Should be some very good games coming up.

Just over 10 hours to go until the start of the Aussie summer. What sort of scheduling is this though?

The game starts at 6pm, but not broadcast until 8.30. Tri-nations Rugby is on before it, but cricket has more pulling power than Union, especially T20. If I recall correctly, this is one of three T20s to be played in Australia this season, one of them an exhibition match, and I'm sure it would create some large viewers on TV and at the ground. Why would somebody that doesn't usually watch cricket stay up till 11.30 on a Sunday night when they have work tomorrow? Also how many parents would allow their kids to stay up that late to watch it on a school night? This is the form of the game meant to attract viewers outside of normal circles, and they only have a few per year, so at least put it on the right day/timeslot. Last night starting at 6pm would have been perfect.

I'm going to be watching it on the internet if I can, live and at a proper time.

We are getting our backsides kicked - well and truly. And at the WACA too, where traditionally it might be expected we would expose a team like Sri Lanka.

Just over 10 hours to go until the start of the Aussie summer. What sort of scheduling is this though?

The game starts at 6pm, but not broadcast until 8.30. Tri-nations Rugby is on before it, but cricket has more pulling power than Union, especially T20. If I recall correctly, this is one of three T20s to be played in Australia this season, one of them an exhibition match, and I'm sure it would create some large viewers on TV and at the ground. Why would somebody that doesn't usually watch cricket stay up till 11.30 on a Sunday night when they have work tomorrow? Also how many parents would allow their kids to stay up that late to watch it on a school night? This is the form of the game meant to attract viewers outside of normal circles, and they only have a few per year, so at least put it on the right day/timeslot. Last night starting at 6pm would have been perfect.

I'm going to be watching it on the internet if I can, live and at a proper time.

Of course the game was actually 6:35pm WA time and 8:35 AEDT and therefore live everywhere that has daylight savings, CA cant schedule games to suit backwards states ;)

Anyway a very poor effort by the NSW top order, didnt give the Victorians anything to bowl at but they still did alright with the best bowler of the lot being the worst on the day. Hastings showing some good signs in his first 2 international matches although his 3rd over after inexplicably being taken off when on fire let down his figures a little bit

Be interesting to see what the squad looks like in a couple of months, maybe a few less from NSW

Of course the game was actually 6:35pm WA time and 8:35 AEDT and therefore live everywhere that has daylight savings, CA cant schedule games to suit backwards states ;)

Anyway a very poor effort by the NSW top order, didnt give the Victorians anything to bowl at but they still did alright with the best bowler of the lot being the worst on the day. Hastings showing some good signs in his first 2 international matches although his 3rd over after inexplicably being taken off when on fire let down his figures a little bit

Be interesting to see what the squad looks like in a couple of months, maybe a few less from NSW

5:30pm start over here actually Ed.

I watched it live here starting at 7.30, but tri-nations was on until almost 9, so everybody in Queensland and Northern Territory wouldn't have watched it. If they started the game at 5 in Perth and played it live everywhere, every single state would have been able to watch it at a sensible time, especially since it was a curtain raiser event to kick off the series with a bang and hopefully high viewer numbers. And backwards? More like sensible :) I don't want daylight until 8.30pm.

I'm going to say this purely because you're back Ed. If you want to pick a winning Australian side, don't pick New South Welshmen and especially Victorians. :D

Jokes aside, Sri Lanka completely out classed them. You could tell just by looking at the line up, Sri Lanka's line up is full of absolute super stars, particularly for T20s, and Australia's only two players with renowned 'super star' T20 quality was Warner and Nannes, neither of which went well on the night.

Tony Greig raised a good point in commentary, no matter what form or what opposition you are playing, this is at an international level and the best side possible should always be fielded. It's fair enough to be resting players, but not having them play in domestic games in preparation for the Ashes. Sure it's the biggest thing in the world of cricket, but you have to remember there are games before then, and you should aim to win every one of them. Fielding a weak side against a forever strong Sri Lanka made what should have been a very tough game into an impossibility for the Aussies.

I think it is more than fair and expected that Hussey and Johnson gain alot more playing first class cricket than playing a meaningless T20 match, same with Hauritz. Other than those 3 there wasnt anyone else left out, it seems to be forgotten in this complaints about the NSW/VIC side, there are only 2, maybe 3 players who were missing that were fit and available, otherwise it was close to Australias best side especially now Hopes is finally finished as an international cricketer :D

Oh and I think Dussey and White would be rated as T20 super stars, alot more reliable than Warner who I believe should be finished for now at international level

I hope we see alot more of McKay or Hastings at international level, their slower balls and good bounce they get make them very effective limited overs bowlers and a change from Australias usual all out pace attack

As for starting time, I found it perfect, they couldnt start earlier due to the stupid timing of the Rugby game, I would have thought that would have been more sensible in the usual 4:00 slot that they love to play league in, then again they cant risk anything running over at 6:00, cant have the news late

But daylight saving is fantastic for cricket training, dont know what time you lot train up there but before daylight savings its usually a short, crap session with lots of fielding when it gets dark, daylight savings come and you can bat for hours plus no threat of bad light on match day

Oh you guys 3 hours behind now? Obviously your daylight savings trial wasnt succesful?

Yeah, have been since you guys went on daylight saving. We had a three-year trial and it was voted down again with the biggest "No" vote in the four referendums WA has had. I voted "No", I don't really like daylight savings at all.

As for the game, Australia were fairly crap with a few reasonable performances scattered amongst the side. The team was missing a few first choice players but for the most part they were fairly uncompetitive which was disappointing.

eddiesmith said:
But daylight saving is fantastic for cricket training, dont know what time you lot train up there but before daylight savings its usually a short, crap session with lots of fielding when it gets dark, daylight savings come and you can bat for hours plus no threat of bad light on match day

No chance of Melbourne getting any good weather on match day lately either. :D

Yeah, have been since you guys went on daylight saving. We had a three-year trial and it was voted down again with the biggest "No" vote in the four referendums WA has had. I voted "No", I don't really like daylight savings at all.

As for the game, Australia were fairly crap with a few reasonable performances scattered amongst the side. The team was missing a few first choice players but for the most part they were fairly uncompetitive which was disappointing.
No chance of Melbourne getting any good weather on match day lately either. :D

:D

Actually it hasnt been that bad, only missed 1 and half days for weather out of 5 originally scheduled days of play, the grand final replay was a real killer though taking us to 50% missed

Dont understand the negativity of daylight savings, maybe Perth is sunnier for longer, but here summer would suck without it. The one thing I really hated when up in QLD is getting woken up early by the sun, prefer a later end to the day than early start

Well, that was pretty poor. Didn't make enough runs but the bowling was good enough in the first 25 overs. After that it was ordinary. Johnson, Hastings and Siddle were pretty useless with the only guys showing anything was Donherty who was on debut.

Big problems for Australia at the moment. They took the foot off the pedal and had no answers. Pretty worrying really.

Clarke said that he was injured.

Mathews is a proper talent isn't he? Anybody else find the bowling by Aus a good laugh? Yorker bowling has died in this country. I couldn't work out who was worse Siddle or Mitch. I think Siddle probably as Mitch did at least bowl some good balls even if he bowled some real shite as well.

Back