Subbies 2010-11

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Subbies 2010-11

B&G OCC;403674 said:
It is a good point about costs associated with coloured clothing, however you will find quite conclusively that cricket is by far the cheapest sport in regards to season subs in comparison with soccer, basketball, hockey etc.

I would disagree with that mate. Not sure where you play and what subs you pay, but the time you've factored in subs, umpire payments each week, arvo teas and clothing it is very expensive. Not complaining though as its a well run comp, played on nice grounds etc, and i love playing.

I didn't articulate well in a previous post in regards to coloured pads - I personally think they look fantastic and add an exciting level of professionalism to our comp - which lets remember IS the second highest (behind premier) in Victoria. That said the VTCA is undeniably catching us up so professional atire is one way to "stay ahead of curve".

My observation was just the cost factor - clubs can surely find ways of mitigating costs (i.e. loan/team pads - I'm lead to believe some clubs even do this with one day shirts? expecially 3's and 4's).

We "operate" in a highly competitive enviroment (take for example the Alex Keath battle between AFL and CV is a high level example) and sadly for some people cost can become factor - especially when you take into account the above posters points on factors such as subs, daily fees, buying afternoon tea ect ect.

Overall another great iniative from the VSDCA and something which I'm sure will boost interest in our clubs!

Fixture out and Melton vs Oakleigh looks like a cracking way to start the season. Maybe Kew and Coburg the best of the other group. Won't need the coloured clothing/pads until Round 7 so maybe an early Christmas present might be on the cards for a lot of people concerned the cost!!

Coloured pads will be used in round one when it becomes a one dayer, there will be no decks ready on Oct 2, happens every year. Stupid last year to make round 1 a one dayer.

hotpies90;403683 said:
I didn't articulate well in a previous post in regards to coloured pads - I personally think they look fantastic and add an exciting level of professionalism to our comp - which lets remember IS the second highest (behind premier) in Victoria. That said the VTCA is undeniably catching us up so professional atire is one way to "stay ahead of curve".

I dont see how a colored pair of pads equates to an increased level of professionalism.

Just stumbled across the new forum. Good to see some solid discussion, I like a few other's on here are sad to see the Champ Final go, final 4 and champ final is a better system than the final 6 if you aren't good enough to make it into the top 4 then you don't deserve to win the flag in my opinion.

On a Williamstown note our ground is unavailble for the season at the Weapon mentioned earlier, our 1's will be away every game and most likely 2's as well. My prediction for the flag even this early on is Melton with Geisler and Nathan Allen coming in they look extremely strong once again.

Will be very interesting to see how the T20's go for points, could decide a few club's fate so it must be taken seriously. The good thing about that round will be 3's will play followed by the one's and 4's followed by the 2's so it will make the crowds bigger for two games and give the lower XI's the chance to see some quality cricket.

Pele;404217 said:
I dont see how a colored pair of pads equates to an increased level of professionalism.

Considering the definition of professionalism, that is a fair point!

Looking at the complete package which would including the pads, maybe what people really mean is that it may further define the standard of the competition, even if only visually. We all know appearance in particular a uniform and elevated standard of appearance, can increase the perceived worthiness in any onlooker's eyes, if I can put it that way.

Does this mean it translates into anything meaningful and of substance to the standard of play? I have no idea, so over to you all on that one.

One thing is for sure, several sports that were also white uniform only sports and very very conservative, have also been on the move over the last twenty or so years, progressing towards a more contemporary look via the use of colour. Even, as we all know...... wait for it.......lawn bowls. :eek:

All of these other sports also potentially compete with cricket for participants. I would suggest that as each young generation comes through, their perception of what presents as a visually exciting and attractive sports package may at least in part, contribute towards which sport they choose to play. Children will aspire to what they see at senior levels. Competition for new participants in various sports is vigorous and cricket needs to sustain it's ongoing share, by staying relevant and current.

The cost aspect is another discussion altogether, that of course needs to be had. There are clever people out there though that seem to understand how to make such situations work viably for most people.

onemoreover;404257 said:
Considering the definition of professionalism, that is a fair point!

Looking at the complete package which would including the pads, maybe what people really mean is that it may further define the standard of the competition, even if only visually. We all know appearance in particular a uniform and elevated standard of appearance, can increase the perceived worthiness in any onlooker's eyes, if I can put it that way.

Does this mean it translates into anything meaningful and of substance to the standard of play? I have no idea, so over to you all on that one.

One thing is for sure, several sports that were also white uniform only sports and very very conservative, have also been on the move over the last twenty or so years, progressing towards a more contemporary look via the use of colour. Even, as we all know...... wait for it.......lawn bowls. :eek:

All of these other sports also potentially compete with cricket for participants. I would suggest that as each young generation comes through, their perception of what presents as a visually exciting and attractive sports package may at least in part, contribute towards which sport they choose to play. Children will aspire to what they see at senior levels. Competition for new participants in various sports is vigorous and cricket needs to sustain it's ongoing share, by staying relevant and current.

The cost aspect is another discussion altogether, that of course needs to be had. There are clever people out there though that seem to understand how to make such situations work viably for most people.

clads are the in thing no need to buy new pads just put these over the top......indorsed by adam gilchrist;)

Pele;404217 said:

Fair call out.

I think firstly it seperates the VSDCA from the local comps where far more blokes are just out for a hit. In terms of attracting quality players a professional look may assit our competition, better players = better competition.

Secondly it aligns the VSDCA better with premier cricket. With CV and CA's love of pathways programs having a modern approach to the game is important. All sports clubs and competitions have to evolve and stay fresh and current or wither and die.

onemoreover;404261 said:
Nice weapons, I thought you would get in quick to take full toll of the "clever" claim. :p

Clads4Pads Pty Ltd - Clads4Pads - coloured covers for cricket batting pads

At $30 bucks a pair, looks like a great idea!

:)

hahahaha......im in the know about subbies things......

i might have to make.....''glads'' good money spinner for making your gloves the same colour as your pads.....:cool:

what you think???

weapons05/06;404324 said:
hahahaha......im in the know about subbies things......

i might have to make.....''glads'' good money spinner for making your gloves the same colour as your pads.....:cool:

what you think???

Hmmm, in theory yes, in practice not sure. Would they only attach to the outside face of the gloves somehow or be a full over glove? Maybe I am stepping into a bit of industrial espionage here :cool: :D

I can see potential functional and longevity issues with a full over glove. Longevity is not really so much an issue if the price is right. But the potential functional issue I foresee in a full over glove could be a problem.

But I do like your thinking! :D

onemoreover;404431 said:
Hmmm, in theory yes, in practice not sure. Would they only attach to the outside face of the gloves somehow or be a full over glove? Maybe I am stepping into a bit of industrial espionage here :cool: :D

I can see potential functional and longevity issues with a full over glove. Longevity is not really so much an issue if the price is right. But the potential functional issue I foresee in a full over glove could be a problem.

You get all that Weapons haha?

onemoreover;404431 said:

''clever'' ''weapon'' ''jet'' ''dowwwg'' are all my middle names.......;)

weapons05/06;404449 said:
''clever'' ''weapon'' ''jet'' ''dowwwg'' are all my middle names.......;)

Hmmm..............? Now I am concerned that "glads" are just another Internet scam.:( You don't live in Romania do ya weapons?:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back