Subbies 2010-11

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's hope that we get some play in tomorrow. And if we do, here are my selections:

VSDCA. North South Group. Round 11. Sat 12th Feb. 1-Dayer. Selections Bolded.
Plenty Valley (2-2-5) vs. Caulfield (7-0-2)
Elsternwick (5-2-2) vs. Brunswick (5-0-4)
Ormond (5-0-4) vs. Preston (2-1-6)
Balwyn (4-0-5) vs. Kingston Saints (2-1-6)
Ivanhoe (1-1-7) vs. Kew (7-0-2)
Brighton (4-0-5) vs. Coburg (5-2-2)
Moorabbin (2-1-6) vs. Malvern (7-0-2)

VSDCA. East West Group. Round 11. Sat 12th Feb. 1-Dayer. Selections Bolded.
Oakleigh (8-0-1) vs. Sunshine (1-1-7)
Williamstown (5-1-3) vs. Noble Park (6-1-2)
Melton (8-1-0) vs. Croydon (6-0-3)
Bayswater (2-2-5) vs. Werribee (3-0-6)
Box Hill (4-0-5) vs. Mount Waverley (3-1-5)
Altona (5-1-3) vs. Endeavour Hills (1-0-8)
Yarraville (1-1-7) vs. Broadmeadows (5-1-3)

In this unpredictable of seasons, even with just two rounds to go, the weather is still looking to make its presence felt. And what a shame if it did interfere with what is shaping as an interesting round as teams battle for the last remaining finals spots.

VSDCA. North South Group. Round 12. Sat 19 Feb & Sat 26 Feb. 2-Dayer. Selections Bolded.
Brunswick (6-0-5) vs. Plenty Valley (3-2-6)
Preston (4-1-6) vs. Elsternwick (7-2-2)
Ormond (5-0-6) vs. Moorabbin (2-1-8)
Caulfield (9-0-2) vs. Balwyn (5-0-6)
Kingston Saints (2-1-8) vs. Ivanhoe (1-1-9)
Kew (8-0-3) vs. Brighton (5-0-6)
Coburg (6-2-3) vs. Malvern (9-0-2)

VSDCA. North South Group. Round 12. Sat 19 Feb & Sat 26 Feb. 2-Dayer. Selections Bolded.
Noble Park (7-1-3) vs. Oakleigh (9-0-2)
Croydon (7-0-4) vs. Williamstown (7-1-3)
Melton (10-1-0) vs. Yarraville (2-1-8)
Sunshine (1-1-9) vs. Bayswater (3-2-6)
Werribee (3-0-8) vs. Box Hill (5-0-6)
Mt Waverley (4-1-6) vs. Altona (7-1-3)
Endeavour Hills (1-0-10) vs. Broadmeadows (6-1-4)

Ok,East/West state of play so far;
Noble Park v Oak-8/340-don't have to be Einstein to work that one out.
Croydon v Willy-no play,will tip the Seagulls to go on their merry way.
Melton 1/55 v yarra 121-all over,only interest whether Melton can go through undefeated.
Sunshine v Bayswater-another wretched season for the Crows,Baysy easily.
Werribee 8/155 vBox Hill-if Atkinson fails the home side to win.
Mt Wav-Altona 217-might be too many,although Bartlett overdue
End Hills v Broady-the visitors need a win to stay in it and won't have any trouble here.
Still any number of possibilities how this group will end up,aside from Melton the rest look evenly matched,long range tip Melton-Willy granny.
North/South-looks same old protagonists,Caulfield and Malvern,let Maybe Jimmy Mac give his opinion.
Best of luck to everyone in the run up to the finals.

Pretty quiet on here boys,time to have a go at the team of the year,medallist and premiers.
10/11 team;
N.Hailey Balwyn
D Cruickshank Caulfield
C Sheedy[c] Williamstown
M Allen Melton
D.Mohan Oakleigh
S Pradeep Moorabbin
S.Duane Caulfield
M.Harrison Plenty
Monto Perera Malvern
B.Pinwill Oakleigh
T.Ryan Brighton
Some great talent unlucky to miss out,Love,Kirk,Lowe,Bartlett,Hutchinson,Christiansen etc.
Medal-C.Sheedy
Premiers,Melton,Caulfield.
Come on,have a go,don't just pick holes in mine

Kevin Lowe (Preston)
Daron Cruikshank (Caulfield)
Craig Sheedy (Williamstown) (C)
Dhruv Mohan (Oakleigh)
Mick Allen (Melton)
Susantha Pradeep (Moorabbin)
Simon Street (Oakleigh)
Monto Perera (Malvern)
Jody Hutchinson (Broadmeadows)
Michael Splatt (Oakleigh)
Marc Harrison (Plenty Valley)

There is a whisper the subbies will release a squad of players in contention for the TOTY prior to HMN with the 11 announced from the extended squad on the night.

HATCH MEDAL - Sheedy (will be interesting to see how the new voting system - only one set of 3,2,1 per match - affects the result, will be much lower total)
PREMIERS - Caulfield, Oakleigh

Not easy is it mate? I take it the "O" stands for Oakleigh rather than Ormond?
Interesting you went for Splatt before Pinwill,is he the guy with the sort of whirlwind action?
I prefer Pinwill as the workhorse,every side needs one.Wnt for Duane ahead of Street on weight of runs this season.
Didn't want to leave Lowe out but his figures down on last year,can't fit em all in eh?
Hope they do go with that squad of players before the night,adds a bit more interest.
Come on boys,more the merrier.

Always tough to fit 300+ into 11, this year is even more difficult if that is possible due to the fact we've only played one 2 day fixture. I have probably come off a little biased in my selections but just think Splatt adds the X factor, 20 wickets, 150 lower order runs, 10 catches in the slips and 5 run outs is a pretty handy combination. Yes, he does have a very whippy action, and has been on a steady upward improvement scale for a few years now. Pinny is obviously a great subbies player, but has been a little down so far, the red ball in March might be his tie to shine though - hopefully anyway!
Lowey didn't bowl until after Christmas due to injury and has still claimed 14 wickets, including a match winning 10 wicket haul last round in an outright against top 6 side Elsternwick. His figures even though down on last year were too good to ignore for mine.

BTW, great match last night at Kew, and also importantly the right result! Ha

Yeah! Great result for the Oaks last night. Pity they won't be able to play their regular "guest player" during the finals. The Melton boys will flog them (again) come finals time.

Kevin Lowe (Preston)
Daron Cruikshank (Caulfield)
Craig Sheedy (Williamstown) (C)
Dhruv Mohan (Oakleigh)
Mick Allen (Melton)
Susantha Pradeep (Moorabbin)
Simon Street (Oakleigh)
Monto Perera (Malvern)
Jody Hutchinson (Broadmeadows)
Michael Splatt (Oakleigh)
Marc Harrison (Plenty Valley)

There is a whisper the subbies will release a squad of players in contention for the TOTY prior to HMN with the 11 announced from the extended squad on the night.

HATCH MEDAL - Sheedy (will be interesting to see how the new voting system - only one set of 3,2,1 per match - affects the result, will be much lower total)
PREMIERS - Caulfield, Oakleigh

1. M. Allen (Melton) (VC)
2. M. Hansen (Ormond)
3. C. Sheedy (Williamstown) (C)
4. C. Christiansen (Elsternwick)
5. D. Mohan (Oakleigh)
6. D. Cruikshank (Caulfield)
7. S. Duane (Caulfield)
8. M. Perera (Malvern)
9. J. Hutchinson (Broadmeadows)
10. M. Harrison (Plenty Valley)
11. J. Wheelahan (Melton)

Medal: C. Sheedy by a long way
Premiers: Metlon just too strong of a batting line up, Caulfield best bowling line up in the comp.

The final round for sixteen of the clubs and good scheduling by the old man executive with a 1-Dayer so that no funny business, or contrived results, can be enacted to help or hinder clubs. With the weather being the main hindering factor this broken season.

VSDCA. North South Group. Round 13. Sat Mar5th. 1-Dayer. Selections Bolded.
Plenty Valley (3-2-7) vs. Preston (5-1-6)
Elsternwick (7-2-3) vs. Ormond (5-0-7)
Balwyn (5-0-7) vs. Brunswick (7-0-5)
Ivanhoe (2-1-9) vs. Caulfield (10-0-2)
Brighton (6-0-6) vs. Kingston Saints (2-1-9)
Malvern (10-0-2) vs. Kew (8-0-4)
Moorabbin (3-1-8) vs. Coburg (6-2-4)

VSDCA. East West Group. Round 13. Sat Mar5th. 1-Dayer. Selections Bolded.
Oakleigh (10-2-0) vs. Croydon (7-0-5)
Williamstown (8-1-3) vs. Melton (11-1-0)
Bayswater (4-2-6) vs. Noble Park (7-1-4)
Box Hill (6-0-6) vs. Sunshine (1-1-10)
Altona (7-1-4) vs. Werribee (3-0-9)
Broadmeadows (7-1-4) vs. Mount Waverley (5-1-6)
Yarraville (2-1-9) vs. Endeavour Hills (1-0-11)

Well done Jimmy,have a crack at the TOTY next.
Quick preview of East/West for the final home and away round;
The pressures on the sides from 4th to 7th with Broady,Noble Park and Altona needing to win to ensure Croydon dont sneak in if they can beat Oakleigh at Oakleigh.
Oakleigh v Croydon-going to be hard for the visitors to come back after that heartbreaking loss to Willy,the Oaks reasonably comfortably.
Willy v Melton-big question is can they go through unbeaten,pity nothing else hinges on it but if the dominant player in the comp gets another biggie Willy could spoil the party,for the sake of a tip have to stick with the flag faves,Melton.
Bayswater v Noble Park-after being i the top 4 all year wouldnt it be ironic if Noble dropped out now,gonna tip Baysy in a cliffhanger.
Box Hill v Sunshine-another miserable season for the Crows will end on another miserable note.
Altona v Werribee-the As look far too strong on paper,should account for Werribee who've been disappointing again.
Broady v Mt Waverley-interesting game with Broady having their best season for some time,the addition of the Papuan boys has been the key I reckon,but the visitors with a handy attack and Bartlett back in form will be no pushovers,will tip Broady in another close one.
Yarra v Endeavour Hills-have to disagree with you here Jimmy,the Eagles in fair form will smash the hapless hillbillies.
Heard a rumour EH might not remain in the comp much longer,anyone else heard this?
Some terrific games ahead of us,cant wait.

I'd like to have a go if I may.

First do not discount Coburg for The Premiership Mick lewis is fit after a stint in the west and bowling very quick. But in the other section you could not go past Melton except they do have a history of not going on with it in finals time.
TOTY
1. Sheedy - Willy (And For The Medal)
2. Allen - Melton
3. Lowe - Preston
4. Mohan - Oakleigh
5. Christensen - E/Wick
6. Pradeep - Moorabin
7. Richardson - Caulfield
8. Hodges - Willy (You need a keeper)
9. Wheelahan - Melton
10. Harrison - PV
11. Cruikshank - Caulfield
Unlucky to miss out Mark Collins - Bayswater and Geoff Turner - Broadmeadows19 wickets at 10.68 in about his 36th season or something is phenominal.

Here's my team:

1.Christiansen
2.Allen
3.Pradeep
4.Sheedy
5.Richardson
6.Lowe
7.Cruickshank
8.Duane
9.Perera
10.Ryan
11.Harrison

Hard to tip against Caulfield for the South/East, Coburg as a smokey if the big fella gets going.

Looking forward to Jimmy-Macs or Piston Brokes preview of the finals and with one day to go there are no previews. Does this mean their sides didnt make the finakls and they lost interest?

I'll have a go, fingers crossed the weather finally stays away for good!

S/N Group - First XI
Caulfield vs. Brunswick - 6 long years of heartbreak for the 'fields, comfortable win in search of tougher matches and challenges ahead. Consistent Richardson the key wicket.
Malvern vs. Kew - Malvern have had good form all year, but I'll tip Kew in a small upset, very strong side led by Gill.
Elsternwick vs. Coburg - replay of a disputed match from earlier in the season, the remaining premiers with Lewis hitting form and backed up by Morrison with the willow far too good for a faltering Wick line up decimated of late by poor form.

W/E Group - First XI
Melton vs. Broadmeadows - Good season from Broady rewarded with a final, Hutchinson a wildcard, but the depth of batting at McPherson Park too long to consider an upset of epic proportions.
Oakleigh vs. Altona - All of Altona's bats hitting form at the right time, but the loss of Boglis might be too much to bridge the gap.
Williamstown vs. Noble Park - The favourite for the Hatch Medal should enjoy the perfect batting conditions at Pat Wright Oval, Seagulls for mine in a close finish.

W/E Group - Second XI
Werribee vs. MT. Waverley - The Tigers far too strong with both bat and ball, could be a very lopsided result.
Bayswater vs. Melton - No idea how the Lions finished so low, will easily account for Baysy and should face Werribee in the decider.
Altona vs. Noble Park - Noble have lost form at the wrong time, and the A's have been very consistent all year, but I'll tip a strong bowling line up for the away team to continue through to the semi's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back