Subbies 2011/12

Mark Brown (aka "Weapons"),

I have watched with considerable interest over the past few weeks as you have endeavoured to bait and prod me with ongoing references to "the Broady Pres this, the Broady Pres that", "Half Back Flanker", "Team of the Year contender", etc. To be perfectly honest, I far prefer you, and others, referring to myself as opposed to my club, as a collective, or individual player representatives within my club.

Now, that said, in paying particular interest to your posts over recent weeks, can I offer some constructive feedback:

- through your own admission, you are one of, if not THE, most prolific contributors to this forum (your previous response to me elaborated upon how many posts/comments you had made/contributed over x period of time). As one of and potentially THE most prolific contributor to this forum can I request that you make a "best endeavours" commitment to use the Queens' English as it was intended. Basic spelling, grammar and punctuation, no more than that expected of someone with a Year 8 education, would be greatly appreciated by myself and others who are subjected to your ongoing musings (as intelligent, informed and entertaining as they are) within this forum

- you have frequently referred to myself AND others as "half back flankers". Whilst I am overjoyed with your announcement that I have been selected in the "team of the year" (I believe on the half back flank no less), could I request that you come up with something new when looking to dish out insults. As witty as your repertoire has been to date, please endeavour to produce something a little more "crisp" or "high brow" than comments that could easily be associated with the comic stylings of Hey, Hey It's Saturday and, the show's host, Darryl Sommers. Alternatively, here's a suggestion, rather than the generic insult(s) that you are most proficient at, seek an understanding of the individual or individuals for whom you are insulting and engage them with specifically tailored banter targeted to the individual in question

- on many of your posts, responses and general comments, you appear to go to a great length to point out and highlight your personal on-field achievements over what has been a most "distinguished" career. If my interpretation of your dross over the past month is correct, and please excuse me if I am wrong as I am not a smart man, you have been a 14 time Premiership Player (13 times as 12th man), have participated in finals over the past 8+ Seasons and, whilst not the player you once were, are still more than handy. In all seriousness Mark, for those that do not know you and to assist with public perception, can I suggest that you refer to achievements that were derived at a collective level rather than at the individual level. Unless I am mistaken, this forum has been established to discuss cricket and, specifically, the VSDCA. Not tennis. As such, you normally find that most individuals derive the greatest sense of satisfaction from achievements that are attained as a collective unit as opposed to those achieved as an individual. You presently represent a club that is fortunate enough to have representing them a player who has, arguably, had the greatest individual VSDCA record over the past decade. That said, amazingly, I have never found Craig needing to talk too or point out his distinguished list of personal achievements. Whilst there is no doubt that your 14 Premierships (13 as 12th man) is a most impressive achievement, for the benefit of all others within this forum, could I politely request that future efforts to massage one's own ego are confined to highlighting the collective achievements of the club(s) and team(s) that you represent.

Now Mark, your reponses/witty comments/half baked insults over recent weeks have been somewhat embarrassing, If you, again, refer to my initial and, until today, only post - you will note that I was merely taking a strong stance on behalf of my club and player representatives within the club. I was clarifying and correcting false information that was being aired in a public forum based on no more than rumour, innuendo and 3rd hand information. Certain individuals, yourself included, have thought it appropriate to insult and criticise me for my defence olf my club, my players and our collective brand. If needing to do so again, I will defend these same parties. It is important to note that I would never and will never pass comment (especially publicly) on ANY other club within the VSDCA nor make comment on ANY individual player within our proud Association. As such, this response is purely with regards to your ongoing comments/posts/witty remarks that are directed at both myself and anyone else within this forum that either; 1) disagrees with your always intellingent and informed opinion(s), or 2) contributes to this forum in written word that you seem unable or unwilling to comprehend and understand

I eagerly await your response where, undoubtably, you will feel the need to further regail myself and other readers of this forum with details of your distinguished on-field playing career.

some collective feedback for you........

enjoy plenty of lemon lime and bitters on mad monday!!!!

So results went pretty much to order except fourth beat third in each group. So it means Balwyn and Elsternwick must take on Melton and Caulfield as their punishment for losing. Most exciting statistic from all games was that for Bayswater, apart from Brad Schimleck who made 39, the other top eight batsmen made two runs between them (six ducks and two ones) and at one stage they were 8 for 17 and Pinwill at one stage had 5 for 3.
Amazing Scorecard. What happend to Monto at Malvern. Listed as absent on the Sunday. See they only used 4 bowlers and one bowled 6. 74 overs betwen 3.

Amazing Scorecard. What happend to Monto at Malvern. Listed as absent on the Sunday. See they only used 4 bowlers and one bowled 6. 74 overs betwen 3.
Even though he was listed as absent I think it means they didn't record how he went out as he is down as the 9th wicket to fall. They lost 5 for 4 at the end including the last 4 wickets for 0. Talk about giving up without a whimper. Do you think that puts to rest Malvern's hold over Caulfield in finals?

Puppeteer,Monto's wife gave birth Saturday night and apparently she had some complications thus preventing him from playing Sunday.
Hope everythings ok.

Another concise and well considered post, Woody? What it lacks in brevity it certainly makes up for in vitriol. i think I nodded off somewhere during the second hour, so does it contain an apology to Weapo anywhere in it? You would do well to remember during that shambolic defence of the indefensible, you "lambasted" him and SS for "lambasting" your club. Well subsequent investigations showed that accusation to be on the same level of the latest Elvis sighting, but you never came back with a retraction.

I have given Weapons plenty for his constant over use of the "perpendicular pronoun" (that's the letter "I" for anyone who doesn't have the command of the Queens English that you do Ben) and I have copped plenty back and that's how it is and we all move on. But he is on solid ground here.

I also think it is a little "rich" for you to have a "crack" at his playing record. I noticed on the weekend that as Chairman of Selectors at the Falcons, you had no hesitation in naming yourself in the 12 for the first final.

A few of us on this forum decline to identify our clubs (although most people know who we are) because our opinions are our own and we don't want those to reflect badly on our clubs.

Perhaps you should bear that in mind in the future, Ben,

Now give him the apology he deserves and we can all get over it. Otherwise I have a feeling Weapo is going to give you every "award" he can think of for a very long time.

"It is important to note that I would never and will never pass comment (especially publicly) on ANY other club within the VSDCA nor make comment on ANY individual player within our proud Association."

Doesn't his pounding of Weapo in his recent post that he states he would make comment on ANY individual player (and I presume Weapo has retired just yet) make him just a tad hyopcritical.

Ben, if you going to have a crack about people's english, punctuation etc, you'd want to make sure yours was perfect!

Love the way sides rapidly put up reports during season on websites how well they have done but when finals come there is not a comment.Particularly when they are smashed !

Another concise and well considered post, Woody? What it lacks in brevity it certainly makes up for in vitriol. i think I nodded off somewhere during the second hour, so does it contain an apology to Weapo anywhere in it? You would do well to remember during that shambolic defence of the indefensible, you "lambasted" him and SS for "lambasting" your club. Well subsequent investigations showed that accusation to be on the same level of the latest Elvis sighting, but you never came back with a retraction.

I have given Weapons plenty for his constant over use of the "perpendicular pronoun" (that's the letter "I" for anyone who doesn't have the command of the Queens English that you do Ben) and I have copped plenty back and that's how it is and we all move on. But he is on solid ground here.

I also think it is a little "rich" for you to have a "crack" at his playing record. I noticed on the weekend that as Chairman of Selectors at the Falcons, you had no hesitation in naming yourself in the 12 for the first final.

A few of us on this forum decline to identify our clubs (although most people know who we are) because our opinions are our own and we don't want those to reflect badly on our clubs.

Perhaps you should bear that in mind in the future, Ben,

Now give him the apology he deserves and we can all get over it. Otherwise I have a feeling Weapo is going to give you every "award" he can think of for a very long time.

he has now won the innaugral ''one game wonder'' award.......hahahaha 12th man

so thats '' half back flanker''award in the team of the year.....(waxing with 12345)
''caroline wilson'' award for the tripe he posts.....
now the ''one game wonder'' award........

and ive just added a ''participation award'' for attending mad monday........(without having an alchaholic beverage)

now im a bit of a stats man this has to be the bench mark for least amount of posts compared to the amount of awards won......surely ''i cant be serious''

ben enoughs enough im having too much fun......well done ''PREZ'' to your club on making the finals and good luck in trying to repeat a good effort next year.........

Talking of cricket, what do people think will win this week's semi finals? And what will happen to Subbies clubs should the CV funding be cut?

I think that the favourites will get up. The funding may force some clubs to leave Subbies, which will only increase the standard of the competition

Talking of cricket, what do people think will win this week's semi finals? And what will happen to Subbies clubs should the CV funding be cut?

I think that the favourites will get up. The funding may force some clubs to leave Subbies, which will only increase the standard of the competition
The reduction of funding is an interesting question, we had a committee meeting last night and was a lot of discussion.

Does it force clubs out of subbies: No. Does it make clubs have to 'work' a bit harder and find alternate, recurring income streams: Definately.

Clubs across Australia don't get a dividend and are still viable. I think some of the Subbies clubs have become reliant on the hand out. Will be interesting to see P&L statements next year with the reduced number.

It will also be interesting to see how the Subbies manage clubs with these reduced numbers. Things like Hatch, and the Hatch Dinner where a minimum of 10 tickets at a sizeable price have to be purchased now make up a large chunk of that amount.

As for the finals, Caulfield and Oakleigh will get up in the south east, clearly the 2 strongest clubs during the year.

"It is important to note that I would never and will never pass comment (especially publicly) on ANY other club within the VSDCA nor make comment on ANY individual player within our proud Association."

Doesn't his pounding of Weapo in his recent post that he states he would make comment on ANY individual player (and I presume Weapo has retired just yet) make him just a tad hyopcritical.

Ben, if you going to have a crack about people's english, punctuation etc, you'd want to make sure yours was perfect!

I think 'a tad hypocritical' is pretty generous!

The reduction of funding is an interesting question, we had a committee meeting last night and was a lot of discussion.

Does it force clubs out of subbies: No. Does it make clubs have to 'work' a bit harder and find alternate, recurring income streams: Definately.

Clubs across Australia don't get a dividend and are still viable. I think some of the Subbies clubs have become reliant on the hand out. Will be interesting to see P&L statements next year with the reduced number.

It will also be interesting to see how the Subbies manage clubs with these reduced numbers. Things like Hatch, and the Hatch Dinner where a minimum of 10 tickets at a sizeable price have to be purchased now make up a large chunk of that amount.

As for the finals, Caulfield and Oakleigh will get up in the south east, clearly the 2 strongest clubs during the year.
The Hatch Shield is nowhere near as significant as it used to be due to the under 14, under 16 and under 18 State Championships (also known as the Pathway System). So, many really promising juniors nowadays bypass the Hatch Shield, (these days an under 15 competition), playing firstly in the under 14 Pathway then progressing to 2 seasons in the under 16 Pathway (which is still called the Dowling Shield). Full details can be found in CV's Official Handbook.
As to hosting Country Week, it is not the money spinner it used to be. These days, the visiting teams soon pile into their mini buses and head for an evening in the city. In the absence of the dividend and, that alternative competitions do not have to host these events, some clubs may be inclined to ask the subbies executive to justify why the subbies need to continue doing so. Bluntly, once no more money is forthcoming clubs need not be obsequious to the demands of the executive. Their present intrusion into the financial affairs of the clubs is a case in point. In the absence of the dividend, why not tell them to 'but out' and mind their own business!

I think umpires tell the truth because they are decent honest people providing a vital service to the game.

Westland seeing as how you're the umpies mate what do you think of the semi finals appointments. Looks like last years finalists of Raby, Goodman and Soulsby will reappear in the grannies again but who will take Wes Burr's spot from last year since he left umpiring? And what thoughts of the advisor Stevens giving himself a semi final appointment?

I think umpires tell the truth because they are decent honest people providing a vital service to the game.

Westland seeing as how you're the umpies mate what do you think of the semi finals appointments. Looks like last years finalists of Raby, Goodman and Soulsby will reappear in the grannies again but who will take Wes Burr's spot from last year since he left umpiring? And what thoughts of the advisor Stevens giving himself a semi final appointment?
They say when police officers start looking young, you are getting old. How young must they look to the majority of our umpires? Like em or love em, you gotta have umpires. That said, competancy and a calm disposition rank ahead of age in my book. On that score, I have always highly rated Michael Wheelahan. I do not have sufficient knowledge of the inner workings of umpires' management to offer a specific comment on the appointment of advisor Stevens to a semi. Does it signal that he has insufficient confidence in the competancy of the umpires he is advising that he finds it necessary to take one of the semi spots for himself? I don't think it sends a good message.

They say when police officers start looking young, you are getting old. How young must they look to the majority of our umpires? Like em or love em, you gotta have umpires. That said, competancy and a calm disposition rank ahead of age in my book. On that score, I have always highly rated Michael Wheelahan. I do not have sufficient knowledge of the inner workings of umpires' management to offer a specific comment on the appointment of advisor Stevens to a semi. Does it signal that he has insufficient confidence in the competancy of the umpires he is advising that he finds it necessary to take one of the semi spots for himself? I don't think it sends a good message.

Michael Wheelahan. Very stiff.
That being said, knowing him, he wouldn't ever complain or 'whinge', just take what he gets and go along with the flow.
But in saying that, again, very unlucky to be not 'at the top' especially after previous Group Finals and Championship (when it was in) appointments.
Chris Stevens should think hard about his appointments in the future. Hard to figure out!
Good luck to the other umpires for their appointments though. Nothing to take away from them.

Re: Umpires Appointments.

Yes, Chris is the umpire's advisor, but he does not sit on the selection or appointment committee. Through ill health and misfortune Chris has been forced to umpire more matches than expected this season. Based solely on umpire's reports completed by First XI captains throughout the association, Chris has been rated in the top 3 Umpire's of the season, hence his appointment this weekend.
We are fortunate that at the top end there are a lot of very good umpires, and like with players, occassionally a very good one misses out come the pointy end.

Chris, being an ex-Premier 1sts umpire, is one of the better umpires going around. If the appointments panel think that the advisor should be umpiring a 1sts XI semi final, they so be it.

My point of view is, at 1st XI level, there aren't enough exceptional umpires when compared to the number average/below average that do the grade.

Back