Subbies 2011/12

I am really pleased to learn fr P'teer and you of CV's failure to get the support needed fr the Premier Clubs on the phasing out of the dividend. Thank you.
Its a pity the GF grounds are so far apart. Its may be impractical or too expensive to justify, but I think it would be a much better spectacle if 1sts GF's could be held at neutral ovals alongside each other. It seems a heck of a disadvantage for Kew to have to commute on successive days to Macpherson. Additionally, will the home team solely reap the benefit of increased bar and canteen takings? When the Championship was always held at Caulfield, there were rumblings of discontent fr other clubs on that issue. Is it still the case that the home ground club gets to keep all of the bar and canteen takings? Any thoughts on the question of whether or not the Ists GF's should be played on neutral grounds?

I am happy for the team finishing on top to host the finals. As far as increased bar and canteen takings are concerned, I am not sure that the Lions will reap much extra with two other sides playing away and there will always be the issue of finding hosts who want the angst of putting on the game. As far as the travel is concerned, somebody has to do it, may as well be the second rated side.

With the games themselves, I really like Caulfied. Their batting strength should enable them to post a defendable score, or alternatively, chase any score needed to win. Their 4 inclusions this year won't feel the same "heat" to bring home a flag that crushed a few of their predecessors over a long period. The Oaks have been in red hot touch lately, but may come away empty handed again.

In the West Group, I am not sure Melton are the "sure things" every body thinks they are. The struggled to get over Balwyn last week in a game that was a lot closer than it looked on paper . Their attack, which has been the cornerstone of their success this year has a few issues. Jones played his first match for a long time and looked seriously under done and the whisper is Harwood is suffering a re occurance of the Achillies tendon injury that required surgery last year. Although Wheelahan didn't play last time against Kew and, by all accounts, was excellent early with 3 early wickets last week.

If the Kew boys can get the Lions in first and restrict them to a reasonable first innings score, they MAY come away with the win.

Just perusing some season statistics, Melton have an incredible 6 players with 17 or more wickets for the season, unbelievable depth. While Kew have Gill (40) & Waterman (35), their next best is only on 12.
From these figures alone it would take an incredible batting performance for Kew to set a target, or conversely a monumental collapse for Melton to not make a score.

Just perusing some season statistics, Melton have an incredible 6 players with 17 or more wickets for the season, unbelievable depth. While Kew have Gill (40) & Waterman (35), their next best is only on 12.
From these figures alone it would take an incredible batting performance for Kew to set a target, or conversely a monumental collapse for Melton to not make a score.
Ok, Maybe they "sure things". That's a compelling stat, B&C OCC, good work. Good luck tomorrow, I have said previously this year that I like the Oaks individually as a team and repect them as an organisation.

Not only does Melton's attack have depth, it has variety, with the Allen bros providing spin. I saw a match this season (not v Melton), where Gill and Waterman failed to make early inroads and their spinner was so innocuous he was smashed out of the attack. If the pitch at Back of Beyond Park is as hard and flat as was last week's, Kew may be in for a long day in the field. Melton's attack is relentless, if one bowler fails there are many others to be called upon.

Not only does Melton's attack have depth, it has variety, with the Allen bros providing spin. I saw a match this season (not v Melton), where Gill and Waterman failed to make early inroads and their spinner was so innocuous he was smashed out of the attack. If the pitch at Back of Beyond Park is as hard and flat as was last week's, Kew may be in for a long day in the field. Melton's attack is relentless, if one bowler fails there are many others to be called upon.

That is true, however we saw last week, Balywn go from 4/50 odd to 212. Which in reality is probably 30 short of a good score. There is no doubt that Kew will need to strike with Waterman and Gill with the new cherry, in fact I would go as far as saying, if Melton are 1 or 0 down when Gill/Waterman leave the bowling crease it could be game over (Unless Kew make 270+, but I can't see it happening).

I think if Kew bat first anything above 200 would be competative but Kew would definitely need some early wickets to make a game of it, 230 is probably around par in my opinion for Kew batting 1st. Should be an interesting weekend!

That is true, however we saw last week, Balywn go from 4/50 odd to 212. Which in reality is probably 30 short of a good score. There is no doubt that Kew will need to strike with Waterman and Gill with the new cherry, in fact I would go as far as saying, if Melton are 1 or 0 down when Gill/Waterman leave the bowling crease it could be game over (Unless Kew make 270+, but I can't see it happening).

I think if Kew bat first anything above 200 would be competative but Kew would definitely need some early wickets to make a game of it, 230 is probably around par in my opinion for Kew batting 1st. Should be an interesting weekend!
Are you clairvoyant by any chance? 230 you said, and 230 it is! How about giving a prediction for Melton's score before 12.30 tomorrow. I watched most of today's play on a flat track on a new strip which had a good even covering of santa ana hybrid couch allowing the ball to remain in good condition. I wonder if the curator will lower the cutting height of the shaver a millimetre or two before the resumption of play. This is one of the things that worries me when finals are not played on a neutral ground. Is Melton's curator entirely independent of the home club? Does any member know the answer to this question? Have any members ever given this matter consideration?:Not all clubs have a third party (a Council employee) prepare their pitches.

Are you clairvoyant by any chance? 230 you said, and 230 it is! How about giving a prediction for Melton's score before 12.30 tomorrow. I watched most of today's play on a flat track on a new strip which had a good even covering of santa ana hybrid couch allowing the ball to remain in good condition. I wonder if the curator will lower the cutting height of the shaver a millimetre or two before the resumption of play. This is one of the things that worries me when finals are not played on a neutral ground. Is Melton's curator entirely independent of the home club? Does any member know the answer to this question? Have any members ever given this matter consideration?:Not all clubs have a third party (a Council employee) prepare their pitches.

Pennant Rules strictly enforce identical conditions for Saturday & Sunday fixtures in finals (weather permitting obviously). Any breach or suspected breach would be investigated to the fullest extent by the executive. No chance a club would risk a flag for a marginal advantage.

Looks like we didn't give Kew enough credit, still a long, long way to go, but the bookmakers are scurrying around to find an eraser.

Pre match odds:
Melton $1.12 vs Kew $5.00

Day 2 odds:
Melton $1.95 vs Kew $1.85

Playing coach/professional players WANTED

Royal Park Brunswick Cricket Club, affiliated with the Victorian Turf Cricket Association, is seeking a playing coach and professional players for the 2012/2013 VTCA season.

Royal Park Brunswick Cricket Club is located in Parkville, Melbourne, about 5-10 minutes outside the Melbourne CBD.

Recently celebrating our 30th year of amalgamation between the Royal Park and Brunswick Districts Cricket Clubs, Royal Park Brunswick Cricket Club has a successful history, but is seeking promotion back into Senior Division of the VTCA . With recent upgrades to our training facilities, pristine playing surfaces and also a professional playing environment, Royal Park Brunswick Cricket Club are primed for immediate promotion back into VTCA’s Senior Division!

The right candidate for one of the above positions will ideally demonstrate the following:
1. An ability to help teach and improve cricket techniques of all players, particular our younger group of players
2. Displays strong leadership skills and a high level of professionalism
3. An ability, and a commitment, to develop a winning culture
4. Availability to facilitate training sessions, including pre-season.

A package commensurate with the successful applicant's skills and experience will be negotiated.

For further details, please contact Rhys Contessa – 0405 066 899 or email rpbcclub@hotmail.com

Not your best work, Westland, I would have thought.

Are you suggesting that Melton, might, should or could "doctor" the track, or is it something your own club might do in the unlikely event that they make a grand final anytime soon?

What is it with some of the West Group teams?

We all remember 3 years ago when Altona was "belted" in a grand final against the Lions. They lodged a complaint saying the ground had been mowed overnight. What evidence did they produce (I hear you say)?

Was there a damning email leaked showing Parks & Gardens had ordered a hapless groundsman to get his arse out of bed and get down there at 4.00am to cut the grass? Well, no.

Ok, well was there a grainy Polaroid showing an army of Melton players and supporters pushing their Victas around the ground at the crack of dawn? Sorry, your worship, we don't have that either.

Well what do you have? Ah Ha, a few of our muppets, both playing and non playing reckon the grass LOOKS shorter.

The biggest mystery remains how the Subbies execs. kept a straight face when summarily dismissing the complaint.

I have suggested all year that Kew might be the team to beat the Lions. In the end, despite a great effort, they couldn't get over them. Maybe it's time for a few of their opposition clubs to get over them as well.

Not your best work, Westland, I would have thought.

Are you suggesting that Melton, might, should or could "doctor" the track, or is it something your own club might do in the unlikely event that they make a grand final anytime soon?

What is it with some of the West Group teams?

We all remember 3 years ago when Altona was "belted" in a grand final against the Lions. They lodged a complaint saying the ground had been mowed overnight. What evidence did they produce (I hear you say)?

Was there a damning email leaked showing Parks & Gardens had ordered a hapless groundsman to get his arse out of bed and get down there at 4.00am to cut the grass? Well, no.

Ok, well was there a grainy Polaroid showing an army of Melton players and supporters pushing their Victas around the ground at the crack of dawn? Sorry, your worship, we don't have that either.

Well what do you have? Ah Ha, a few of our muppets, both playing and non playing reckon the grass LOOKS shorter.

The biggest mystery remains how the Subbies execs. kept a straight face when summarily dismissing the complaint.

I have suggested all year that Kew might be the team to beat the Lions. In the end, despite a great effort, they couldn't get over them. Maybe it's time for a few of their opposition clubs to get over them as well.
That will teach me not to post on a Sat evening, if you know what I mean! I deserve criticism.
What is it with some of the West Group teams you ask. In my case, it is that all clubs in Maribyrnong and Brimbank municipalities must appoint and pay their curators, so their independence is questionable. Sadly, I have to tell you that in order to protect myself from 'suggestions' by coaches and players on pitch preparation I now insist on the protocol that any matters relating to my duties must be directed to the club's president. Footscray Edgewater must also appoint and pay its curator. I know him well and, at one time, he was being so harassed by 'suggestions' on pitch preparation he threatened to resign.
I trust this clarifies why, if my club was the visiting team in a Grand Final, I would be unhappy to learn that the home team's curator was appointed and paid by the home team. I think that is taking the home-ground advantage in a 1stsGF a stretch too far. I accept it may only be a perception, and am well aware of the by -law in respect to consecutive day matches, but, on the other hand, I am also aware of the real-life situation of club-appointed curating based on many years of experience. It was never my intention that my comments be in any way directed to Melton or their curator. For all I know, Melton may enjoy Council support in pitch preparation.

Kingston Saints have appointed Craig Entwhistle as CC for the next 3 years. Excellent appoitment for the Saints, which should ensure further improvement next year!

Playing coach/professional players WANTED

Royal Park Brunswick Cricket Club, affiliated with the Victorian Turf Cricket Association, is seeking a playing coach and professional players for the 2012/2013 VTCA season.

Royal Park Brunswick Cricket Club is located in Parkville, Melbourne, about 5-10 minutes outside the Melbourne CBD.

Recently celebrating our 30th year of amalgamation between the Royal Park and Brunswick Districts Cricket Clubs, Royal Park Brunswick Cricket Club has a successful history, but is seeking promotion back into Senior Division of the VTCA . With recent upgrades to our training facilities, pristine playing surfaces and also a professional playing environment, Royal Park Brunswick Cricket Club are primed for immediate promotion back into VTCA’s Senior Division!

The right candidate for one of the above positions will ideally demonstrate the following:
1. An ability to help teach and improve cricket techniques of all players, particular our younger group of players
2. Displays strong leadership skills and a high level of professionalism
3. An ability, and a commitment, to develop a winning culture
4. Availability to facilitate training sessions, including pre-season.

A package commensurate with the successful applicant's skills and experience will be negotiated.

For further details, please contact Rhys Contessa – 0405 066 899 or email rpbcclub@hotmail.com
Any time I see a photo of Richard Chee Quee, got to wonder. As Tony Greig said one day, "he bat's like a millionaire on the dole!'

Entwistle seems to be a bit of a nomad. Couldn't get a game in Casey's 1sts two seasons ago, so went to the Hawks and got a 1sts game.

The Kingston Saints' deck isn't the most batsman/slow bowler friendly deck, so I think he won't make as many runs/take as many wickets as expected. Unless he bowls as many overs as Gill and Pinwill

Because it is fresh in peoples' minds, now is the time for all those who have posted in favour of the return of the Championship to make their feelings known to their clubs. The Caulfield/Oakleigh game was a fizzer. Wouldn't it have been better to have still been able to look forward to a Caulfield v Melton Championship? As far as I am concerned the so-called Grand Finals were preliminaries. What other comp doesn't regard their 1sts Grand Final (singular) as their showpiece event? The Championship is Best v Best. That is what a GF is all about and should be promoted by the subbies as the showpiece of their competition.

Back