Subbies Thread

No club has ever won all 4 finals. Oakleigh however might be the first club to lose all 4 semifinals. Although most clubs would be happy to have 4 sides playing in the penultimate weekend,

Massive effort by Baysy, thoroughly deserved. Melton won 3 GF's in the season they had all 4 playing, 2s lost to a Cruden inspired Altona. Oaks won 2 flags in the year they had all 4 teams in the GF, lost 1s to Noble and 4s.

PV lost all 4 semi's two years back I believe, not a nice feeling at all, but better than not making it. Finals cricket is tough and there have been some great games thus far.

Let's hope weather doesn't play a big part in the weekend's outcomes, although that looks extremely likely at this stage.

Heard a rumour there might be a big announcement from Subbies about the weekend - would be amazing if it comes off.

Massive effort by Baysy, thoroughly deserved. Melton won 3 GF's in the season they had all 4 playing, 2s lost to a Cruden inspired Altona. Oaks won 2 flags in the year they had all 4 teams in the GF, lost 1s to Noble and 4s.

PV lost all 4 semi's two years back I believe, not a nice feeling at all, but better than not making it. Finals cricket is tough and there have been some great games thus far.

Let's hope weather doesn't play a big part in the weekend's outcomes, although that looks extremely likely at this stage.

Heard a rumour there might be a big announcement from Subbies about the weekend - would be amazing if it comes off.

Something even more remarkable about Bayswaters effort is the number of young kids in their 1s. Believe they have 5-6 guys under the age of 22 and took an experienced team like Oakleigh to the cleaners. Hard to fathom Oakleigh not having a single team in a GF this weekend and shows just how hard it is to win a premiership in any grade.

Weather forecast is improving with no real rain forecast Saturday but it looks likely of some interruption to play on Sunday.

What is this rumour you speak of?

Great initiative. Subbies are a long way behind other competitions in terms of social media and promotion of the league. Hopefully this is a step in the right direction

Any suggestions on what they could be doing better?

The only time we hear from the VSDCA is when the covers need to be down. You would think if the executive want the league to remain relevant in the future, they would want to be promoting it as much as possible as the next best after premier cricket.

Any suggestions on what they could be doing better?

They could actually do a review of the two 1st eleven grand finals that are being played this week.
Go through players statistics, advice on players to watch out for, comments from the captains etc.
If you were an outsider to the competition, you wouldn't even know who is playing.

They should also do a small review of each game on their website after each round.

I also think they should bring back the Championship Game between both clubs who win their respective groups Grand Finals but that is a discussion for another day.

They could actually do a review of the two 1st eleven grand finals that are being played this week.
Go through players statistics, advice on players to watch out for, comments from the captains etc.
If you were an outsider to the competition, you wouldn't even know who is playing.

They should also do a small review of each game on their website after each round.

I also think they should bring back the Championship Game between both clubs who win their respective groups Grand Finals but that is a discussion for another day.
This

I know I have been a bit hard on the association and some of the ways they undertake things but to have the grand final winner decided on a one day game is shocking and it seems by Justin Grahams comments in the leader, he actually agrees with me.

No doubt play could have been obtained at both grounds on Saturday and as proven in Premier Cricket with play being obtained, no doubt play could have been obtained at Kew and Caulfield.

What is worse is the game was reduced to one day conditions yet they played with a red ball and creams instead of colours. I hope the groundsmen were able to place the white dots around the 30 yard circle.

What should have happened is normal conditions should apply and if Caulfield and Kew won the toss, they have every right to bat out the full 80. If they didn't win the toss, Bayswater and Williamstown can bat for 30-35 overs and try and bowl the other team out to try and win the game.

No shock with respect to the South East 4ths final with Box Hill City Oval Pitch being classed as too wet to play on.

I know I have been a bit hard on the association and some of the ways they undertake things but to have the grand final winner decided on a one day game is shocking and it seems by Justin Grahams comments in the leader, he actually agrees with me.

No doubt play could have been obtained at both grounds on Saturday and as proven in Premier Cricket with play being obtained, no doubt play could have been obtained at Kew and Caulfield.

What is worse is the game was reduced to one day conditions yet they played with a red ball and creams instead of colours. I hope the groundsmen were able to place the white dots around the 30 yard circle.

What should have happened is normal conditions should apply and if Caulfield and Kew won the toss, they have every right to bat out the full 80. If they didn't win the toss, Bayswater and Williamstown can bat for 30-35 overs and try and bowl the other team out to try and win the game.

No shock with respect to the South East 4ths final with Box Hill City Oval Pitch being classed as too wet to play on.

The Brunswick v Yarraville 4ths GF was also a drawn game with not a ball being bowled. This is an unsatisfactory state of affairs and the executive should be asked by clubs for consideration of a review of the finals format with particular emphasis on providing a program relevant to the the clubs' wishes. If what happened does not focus the clubs' attention to this issue, nothing will.

Back