Subbies Thread

Justin Graham wants the rules changed again? He wanted them changed last year when Kew’s season ended with a tie. Such a sense of entitlement. Yawn.[/QUOTE

Unfortunate but
Justin Graham wants the rules changed again? He wanted them changed last year when Kew’s season ended with a tie. Such a sense of entitlement. Yawn.

Funny how he always has sour grapes when it doesn't go Kews way, pipe down and don't try and devalue the opposition, most consistent team won in the end, Williamstown finished on top for a reason.

It is the aim of the subbies to increase its numbers by 4 clubs giving a reason that an 8x8 fixture is preferable to the present 7x7. Moorabbin is in rescue mode by a couple of stalwarts and I wish them well, but doubt the subbies is the relevant competition for the club going forward. Endeavour Hills seems better placed to survive at the subbies level, but if not, the subbies may need to add six clubs to achieve its stated aim. Does anyone seriously think that the manner in which the grand final series panned out this season is a favourable advertisement for a competition seeking to expand? Constructive comments welcome.

Must admit that I am not a big fan of sides losing a final and still continuing. Much prefer Premier system of 1v8 etc and lower ranked side has to win. Maybe 16 team divisions and a top 8.Brighton 4th's finished 4th got flogged week ! then played in semi final.

I watched all Williamstown's innings and they had that run chase under control virtually from ball one,clearly the superior side won and probably would have if it had been a 1,2,3,or 4 day game,at least both sides had a chance on a level playing field,congrats to Willy,they represented the West with distinction.
Whilst I'm not a huge fan either of the top six model it does keep interest of a number of clubs to the last game,the side sitting 10th were still a chance of making it.
Having said that I loved the championship final and would love to see it back if possible.
Turfie,if you have the panacea for all turf cricket we'd all love to hear it.

It is the aim of the subbies to increase its numbers by 4 clubs giving a reason that an 8x8 fixture is preferable to the present 7x7. Moorabbin is in rescue mode by a couple of stalwarts and I wish them well, but doubt the subbies is the relevant competition for the club going forward. Endeavour Hills seems better placed to survive at the subbies level, but if not, the subbies may need to add six clubs to achieve its stated aim. Does anyone seriously think that the manner in which the grand final series panned out this season is a favourable advertisement for a competition seeking to expand? Constructive comments welcome.

The way the GF series panned out this year is not a great look for the competition but you do what you do and hopefully they learn from this.

If 6 new teams come into the competition, I would love to see a 2 division competition be established which would have promotion and relegation. The Grand finalists in Division 2 would go up and the last two teams in Div one would go down.

16 teams per division and you can then Harness a proper T20 block along with numerous one day games and the right amount of 2 day games.

It would be 7 two day games (one sat/sun), 5 one day games (one sunday game) and 4 T20 games to be played over two weekends. Finals to be a top 8 and it would be knockout.

THE ABOVE WOULD ONLY APPLY TO THE 1ST AND 2ND ELEVENS.

It also allows the young generation be adequately prepared to play at that next level.

I watched all Williamstown's innings and they had that run chase under control virtually from ball one,clearly the superior side won and probably would have if it had been a 1,2,3,or 4 day game,at least both sides had a chance on a level playing field,congrats to Willy,they represented the West with distinction.
Whilst I'm not a huge fan either of the top six model it does keep interest of a number of clubs to the last game,the side sitting 10th were still a chance of making it.
Having said that I loved the championship final and would love to see it back if possible.
Will in time. I really used to enjoy the championship final, but those were the days when some board members didn't have their head up their own arse.

Obviously not ideal to play a one-day match in the last game of the season, but the alternatives suggested are also heavily flawed.

Firstly, council strictly won't allow clubs access to grounds in April, so the season needs to finish last weekend.

Secondly, is it a fairer outcome for the 'top' placed side to get the armchair ride to a premiership in an 'ordinary condition' game? If that were the case this season, Kew (4th) in the 1s and Bayswater (4th) in the 2s wouldv'e claimed flags over sides that finished 1st and 2nd across the entire H&A season. Finals are not always fair, and often the best team of the year loses, that is the Australian way - would we rather and English model of no finals and top team takes the cake?

Four day games are a nonsense, at least one-day matches are played during the year, you need to be able to win in both (all 3) formats, in different conditions to be crowned the best, not ideal, but not unexpected.

There is some good discussion, and some that is ill-conceived and deliberately inflammatory, if you see fit to want change, petition your delegate to make a submission in April for the rules committee to consider, otherwise you are wasting everyone's time.

This is the first GF round I can recall since probably the early 2000's (Box Hill vs Old Bundoora) Championship Final that was badly affected by rain, doesn't mean we don't have a contingency, but it's an unusual occurrence, the AFL fosters an environment that rules need to be changed at a whim, we don't all have to mindlessly follow along.

I am delighted by the thoughtful and constructive responses to my post. No, I don't have a panacea. The operative word imo is ''relevance''. That is, the competition's executive should at all be questioning whether the structure of the competition is relevant to the needs of its stakeholders. I am concerned the competition does not yet have the numbers to have a promotion and relegation system. I mean a structured system within its own ranks. In an earlier post RTG suggested for all practical purposes the subbies already have one, the stragglers being discarded and being replaced by clubs from elsewhere. I do not favour the subbies going down that path.

Well done to Williamstown and Caulfield on their triumphs over the weekend - likely the best sides in both comps across the year. Bayswater winning 2s, 3s and 4s and even bigger triumph in my opinion. They went pretty darn close in the 1s too if a few more things went their way!

I'm not sure how I feel about it yet but throwing it out there for 'constructive comments'; what about a 3-day Grand Final, Sat/Sun/Sat? You need to win on first innings and gives an opportunity for teams to win on the 2nd inning as well.

I know there are definitely logistics to be worked through (might need to start finals a week earlier); however, does create an element of 'best of the best' to it.

You could also throw away the 1st week of Finals and make it a Top 4.

Or have a Reserve Day.

I'm not sure how I feel about it yet but throwing it out there for 'constructive comments'; what about a 3-day Grand Final, Sat/Sun/Sat? You need to win on first innings and gives an opportunity for teams to win on the 2nd inning as well.

I know there are definitely logistics to be worked through (might need to start finals a week earlier); however, does create an element of 'best of the best' to it.

You could also throw away the 1st week of Finals and make it a Top 4.

Or have a Reserve Day.[/QUOTE

It is the " Australian Way'' to place particular emphasis on the GF. I think clubs will not seek a change to the existing format relying on the fact covers make the possibility of a Gf being completely washed out unlikely. But, the absence of a reserve day in the interests of squeezing in as much cricket as possible for as many clubs as possible is pushing one's luck from time-to-time. 16 teams would, as pointed out by brightboy, open the possibility for copying the Premier Cricket format. That said, I think of greater relevance in bringing in additional clubs is to give the subbies the critical mass to permit a credible promotion and relegation system.

Some big names seem to be retiring from premier cricket this year, namely Rob Quiney. No doubt he’ll turn up at Caulfield. I also saw John Hastings at the kew v willy final, which club is he associated with? Kew or willy? Is he a chance to turn up at one of those clubs (or perhaps Caulfield) in the next few years? Any other quality players on subbies club radars?

Some big names seem to be retiring from premier cricket this year, namely Rob Quiney. No doubt he’ll turn up at Caulfield. I also saw John Hastings at the kew v willy final, which club is he associated with? Kew or willy? Is he a chance to turn up at one of those clubs (or perhaps Caulfield) in the next few years? Any other quality players on subbies club radars?

My guess is John Hastings would more likely be attracted to Willy given he would know McDonald from their playing days at Footscray Edgewater. But, we are now in the era where money is no longer the restrictive factor in bringing in high-profile players. I predict the divide between the 'have' and 'have not's' will continue to widen to the detriment of the competition as a whole.

My guess is John Hastings would more likely be attracted to Willy given he would know McDonald from their playing days at Footscray Edgewater. But, we are now in the era where money is no longer the restrictive factor in bringing in high-profile players. I predict the divide between the 'have' and 'have not's' will continue to widen to the detriment of the competition as a whole.

Hastings is a friend of Chris Weeks and Mick Kellihier, considering the amount of money Kew are currently paying their players it would be highly unlikely that they’d be able to afford him.

Back