Subbies Thread

Funny how these amounts snowball,with respect i do not know how these figures would be common knowledge,at the club I'm associated with only the inner sanctum know how much the coach and or professional is paid viz the president,the secretary and the treasurer.
No-one else needs or indeed wants to know.

Funny how these amounts snowball,with respect i do not know how these figures would be common knowledge,at the club I'm associated with only the inner sanctum know how much the coach and or professional is paid viz the president,the secretary and the treasurer.

Players talk amongst themselves about it, some make it common knowledge amongst the playing group

Players talk amongst themselves about it, some make it common knowledge amongst the playing group
You're right. Most would just see whats in the financial statements. I can't imagine clubs like Endeavour Hills, Moorabbin and even Sunshine in years gone past paying more than $10k. I'd like to see example of a breakdown of what people think the likes of Brunswick, Kew, Caulfield, PV pay to each of their players. I can't see anyone paying more than $30k at subbies level. There's just not enough prestige in the league to pay anything more imo

You're right. Most would just see whats in the financial statements. I can't imagine clubs like Endeavour Hills, Moorabbin and even Sunshine in years gone past paying more than $10k. I'd like to see example of a breakdown of what people think the likes of Brunswick, Kew, Caulfield, PV pay to each of their players. I can't see anyone paying more than $30k at subbies level. There's just not enough prestige in the league to pay anything more imo

I know that shortly before Sunshine departed the subbies it had to pay a number of players just to keep them at the club. There was zero chance of the club being able to afford any more. I live near Dempster Park and can tell you some of the players stayed on all night at the club Sunday on winning the North A1 GF and onto Mad Monday. The club would have folded had it attempted to battle on in the subbies. It now realises it should have made the decision to depart to a level of cricket in keeping with its ability to be competitive at an earlier date. There is no point remaining in a competition if it is no longer relevant to the club's abilities. By no means am I suggesting the VTCA is the long-term answer. In an earlier post I said CV should be asked by the clubs to take over its admin. I was not aware until Turf Cricket's post of 19 VTCA clubs meeting in the absence of the comp's BOM, but not surprised.

I've had a go at a clubs payments/paid players... PV apologies but you're in the gun:

Plenty Valley - Pearson, Dickinson, Heatley, Ayres, Black and Jaensch all imo would be paid players or on some sort of other 'arrangement'. Estimate total figures to $20-$30k. Also take into consideration Hewat as playing coach and its definitely going to be above $30k I'd think.

Happy for others to challenge me on this - feel free to have a stab at some other clubs too rather than beating #batnation into submission. We're all friends here

I've had a go at a clubs payments/paid players... PV apologies but you're in the gun:

Plenty Valley - Pearson, Dickinson, Heatley, Ayres, Black and Jaensch all imo would be paid players or on some sort of other 'arrangement'. Estimate total figures to $20-$30k. Also take into consideration Hewat as playing coach and its definitely going to be above $30k I'd think.

Happy for others to challenge me on this - feel free to have a stab at some other clubs too rather than beating #batnation into submission. We're all friends here

Jaensch no Ayres no, Jaensch got a job through the club and apparently Ayres gets his taxes and book keeping done for nothing from a sponsor.

Brunswick.

Mayne McKay Murphy Brennan Fort plus overseas player.. comfortably over 30k Murphy had his hand out big time to go to the wicks.

Kew

Graham Kellihier Thompson Weeks Wildsmith

Comfortably over 30, Wildsmith and Weeks 10k each minimum, Mick K min 7 Graham 10-15 easily.

Caulfield

Rummans Thorne Cross King Warren

Hate to know how much Rummans and Thorne get

Jaensch no Ayres no, Jaensch got a job through the club and apparently Ayres gets his taxes and book keeping done for nothing from a sponsor.

Brunswick.

Mayne McKay Murphy Brennan Fort plus overseas player.. comfortably over 30k Murphy had his hand out big time to go to the wicks.

Kew

Graham Kellihier Thompson Weeks Wildsmith

Comfortably over 30, Wildsmith and Weeks 10k each minimum, Mick K min 7 Graham 10-15 easily.

Caulfield

Rummans Thorne Cross King Warren

Hate to know how much Rummans and Thorne get

I think Jaensch, being a seasoned and well respected premier cricketer, would have some sort of setup behind the scenes. At the very least, he wouldn't be paying membership or umpire fees. Ayres I find a bit hard to believe also being a val holten medallist and one of the top players of the comp. But I guess I'll have to take your word for it.

Kew and Brunswick I agree on both, mega dollars. Thorne would be around 20k, Rummans 10-15 and they would have be paying a few more than that too I think. So much for the supposed 2 paid player + coach rule!

On a number of occasions I have been given an insight into the amount some clubs are paying players by the executive of clubs telling me they were laughed at by players approached by them for what both they and I considered generous offers only to find the prospective players ending up elsewhere in the comp (for more money it is safe to assume). This experience is disheartening for these key people giving much of their time in voluntary service to their club.

Not sure how close your figures are boys, but who cares,it's all a bit of fun anyway,btw I heard Rummans was on twice your estimate.
Westy,i know exactly what you mean,I recall every Subbies club in the West chased Tokka O'keefe when he left Footscray but they were all blown out of the water by Yarraville Club,apparently he was on more than the P.M.
Having said all that,I'm not averse to any club paying big money to try and improve themselves on the field by working their backsides off raising cash ,look at Ormond,they were on the bottom for 30 years and by good organising and hard work won a flag.

No offence but if Plenty Valley are paying a 46 year old to play cricket, there must be some serious issues within the comp. Ayres would be playing for nothing and maybe incentives but that would be it

Not sure how close your figures are boys, but who cares,it's all a bit of fun anyway,btw I heard Rummans was on twice your estimate.
Westy,i know exactly what you mean,I recall every Subbies club in the West chased Tokka O'keefe when he left Footscray but they were all blown out of the water by Yarraville Club,apparently he was on more than the P.M.
Having said all that,I'm not averse to any club paying big money to try and improve themselves on the field by working their backsides off raising cash ,look at Ormond,they were on the bottom for 30 years and by good organising and hard work won a flag.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if the clubbers are one of the two VTCA clubs rumoured to be willing to outlay $50k for one player. Everyone admires a battling club making good and winning a flag, but when the same club is dominant year in and year out it becomes a problem. The VTCA's Senior Division is stuffed because of it and, I fear, the subbies are heading down the same path.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if the clubbers are one of the two VTCA clubs rumoured to be willing to outlay $50k for one player. Everyone admires a battling club making good and winning a flag, but when the same club is dominant year in and year out it becomes a problem. The VTCA's Senior Division is stuffed because of it and, I fear, the subbies are heading down the same path.

Correct and Correct!!

After the win in last nights Ryder medal, that price might be justified.

Rummans is on close to 30

Even for a player like Rummans, that is still way overs in local cricket. His numbers are very good without being amazing for a player of his reputation. At this level, players should never be getting above 10-15k. How often do we see that unpaid players outperform these ring-ins on 5 figures plus.

Having said that...10-15k limit probably goes out the window for Thorne. With his numbers alluded to by NorthClubs, he could write a figure down below 50k and Caulfield would probably say no worries.

Even for a player like Rummans, that is still way overs in local cricket. His numbers are very good without being amazing for a player of his reputation. At this level, players should never be getting above 10-15k. How often do we see that unpaid players outperform these ring-ins on 5 figures plus.

Having said that...10-15k limit probably goes out the window for Thorne. With his numbers alluded to by NorthClubs, he could write a figure down below 50k and Caulfield would probably say no worries.

I think that someone like Rummans is worthy of that.

Guys like him who are clearly a cut above the level improve the group ten fold, while he may not be pumping out numbers like Thorne, attracting someone like Rummans probably keeps Cross, Warren, Graf and King at the club because they know another flag isn't far away, the amount of knowledge and cricket smarts that he would pass onto Thorne would be invaluable.

My biggest concern for Caulfield is the lower grades, with no other team making finals they clearly don't have the depth outside of the big boys that they have in the 1's.

Rummans, Cross and Warren can't go on forever, I assume they will just continually try to recruit from Premier Cricket to keep themselves up the top of the ladder.

Any news on player movements across the league? Or team of the year announcements?

I see Murphy has taken over the coaching job at Brunswick. Looks like Mayne and Mackay will be hanging around to play on

Back