Subbies Thread

Congratulations to Oakleigh for another win in the T20 comp. Who were the 3 under 21's so we can follow their development and performances ?

This should help you

Southern District and Churches Cricket League - Under 15 Sunday - Majtlis
Round GF - Sun 15 Mar 2009 (8:45AM), Sun 22 Mar 2009 (8:45AM)
OakleighdefMaccabi AJAX Warriors
Venue: Brentwood Reserve [71 D8]Match ID: 573638
Umpires: Not specified

OAKLEIGH

Taylor, Jack W
Ross, Alexander D
Riley, Liam P
Fabris, Miles S (+)
McCarthy, Robert C
Renwick, Christopher J (c)
Williams, Joshua
Crowe, Declan J
Bishop, Thomas E
Devlin, Jeremy M
Riley, Samuel P
Croft, Daniel B

Devlin, McCarthy & Ross played in the final. Price, Brambleby & O'Keefe all played at some stage during the round robin matches as well.

The PV U21's are worth keeping an eye on, a lot of talent coming through out North.

Congratulations to Oakleigh for another win in the T20 comp. Who were the 3 under 21's so we can follow their development and performances ?

Surely the subbies website should have more about the T20 final and semi final on it than it does. At least a scorecard or top performances. Pretty poor really considering there are no mycricket stats.

YWL - I think the scorecards and summary will be on the Subbies site today.

Nancy - I expect these will be on MyCricket from next season.

What an unbelievable season Sean Ayres is having! Surely he will win the Hatch Medal with a record number of votes. 670 runs and 28 wickets with two games to go.

What an unbelievable season Sean Ayres is having! Surely he will win the Hatch Medal with a record number of votes. 670 runs and 28 wickets with two games to go.

Will be an unbelievable effort to top Willy's own Craig Sheedy from a few years back, but agree Ayresy would be an unbackable favourite right now.

The only other guys who could even be an upset chance are Mawzoon, Maynard, Damiano, Pradeep, Pritchard and Wild. I think in likelihood though they are all playing for the minor medals.

Pritchard with another 5 wicket haul, takes his season tally to 39. What a pick up he has been. Going to be a good test for Werribee to see whether or not they can chase down 250+ against a quality bowling line up.

A great finish to the season in the east/west with undefeated werribee taking on Oakleigh and then Bayswater. Oakleigh have 273 on the board and defend well - tipping oakleigh to inflict Werribees first loss and make things very tight in that group. The fight for 6th is a beauty with Crodon playing some good cricket post xmas

A great finish to the season in the east/west with undefeated werribee taking on Oakleigh and then Bayswater. Oakleigh have 273 on the board and defend well - tipping oakleigh to inflict Werribees first loss and make things very tight in that group. The fight for 6th is a beauty with Crodon playing some good cricket post xmas
Remember, picking up 10 points v Sunshine put Croydon in the hunt for the final 6. Rumour getting around cricket circles over here is that Sunshine is completely broke. They have yet to pay a single cent of the agreed $7000 curating fees for the preparation of Dempster and Lloyd. If it had been me I would have walked out at Christmas if no money had by then been paid to me. Sunshine is fortunate their two curators will complete their side of the bargain irrespective of whether the club will keep theirs. If the club is broke the committee may need to go cap-in-hand to the club's bank asking for a loan (and providing the necessary personal collateral), in order to meet this season's curating commitments. How Sunshine will fare in getting their pitches prepared next season if they do not meet this season's commitments to their curators is anyone's guess. Will Sunshine be the first casualty of the phasing out of the dividend? Given the subbies require 2 turf pitch grounds per club, this puts a large financial burden on clubs responsible for pitch preparation, and it is unrealistic to expect ''outsiders'' to curate for no fee.

If they are completely broke they may have bigger issues than not paying their curators, ie insurance, council rental & electricity bills etc.

Council rental is minimal because Sunshine must prepare their own pitches and the other outlays you raise are also not bigger issues for the following reason. If you are a turf pitch cricket club responsible for pitch preparation but have no ''outsider'' willing to take on the work because you have failed to meet your previous season's curating commitments you may have a BIG problem on your hands. How will you get the show on the road for the forthcoming season if there is no-one within the club with the time, competancy and willingness to prepare pitches free-of charge? Can you imagine the uproar if a club told an umpire at afternoon tea it did not have the money to pay him for JUST ONE AFTERNOON!! I have brought to your notice a situation where curators have not yet been paid a cent for an ENTIRE SEASON.

Interesting in NS seconds. Final 6 looks like having 5 North sides and Brighton. South has dominated the competition for years. Most finals have been between South sides with Caulfield, Malvern and Elsternwick being prominent. Is the South on the wane ? Still dominant in junior cricket.

Interesting in NS seconds. Final 6 looks like having 5 North sides and Brighton. South has dominated the competition for years. Most finals have been between South sides with Caulfield, Malvern and Elsternwick being prominent. Is the South on the wane ? Still dominant in junior cricket.
Its happening in the VTCA as well

I think the results from the south teams is cyclical. Malvern & Brighton in particular have been very strong for many years now, but as wiht Elsternwick as well, they are transitioning the talented and well performed 2nd XI cricketers into their top side, which has created a chasm of experience in the lower XI's. All clubs are well run, and I would expect they will regenerate quickly.
You can't be up forever.

Council rental is minimal because Sunshine must prepare their own pitches and the other outlays you raise are also not bigger issues for the following reason. If you are a turf pitch cricket club responsible for pitch preparation but have no ''outsider'' willing to take on the work because you have failed to meet your previous season's curating commitments you may have a BIG problem on your hands. How will you get the show on the road for the forthcoming season if there is no-one within the club with the time, competancy and willingness to prepare pitches free-of charge? Can you imagine the uproar if a club told an umpire at afternoon tea it did not have the money to pay him for JUST ONE AFTERNOON!! I have brought to your notice a situation where curators have not yet been paid a cent for an ENTIRE SEASON.

Give me a buzz id like to have a beer with you!!!!

Never the less ywl loved the battle on the w/e.... imo we worked so hard to turn the game our way which leaves a bitter taste so to speak.....in what was a first for me playing on w.c.g since the redevelopment....

Gl to the club for remaining games and teams in the hunt for glory!!!!

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
Give me a buzz id like to have a beer with you!!!!

Never the less ywl loved the battle on the w/e.... imo we worked so hard to turn the game our way which leaves a bitter taste so to speak.....in what was a first for me playing on w.c.g since the redevelopment....

Gl to the club for remaining games and teams in the hunt for glory!!!!

Cheers

I think I can be forgiven for wondering whether your request to give you a buzz is tongue-in-cheek or genuine. I am always happy to give my services in training aspiring curators free-of-charge, and if you believe I can make a positive contribution to Sunshine in this regard do not hesitate to contact me. Many of the guys preparing pitches over here are of an age where they are unlikely to much longer be capable of managing walk-behind cricket pitch rollers. (As you probably know, Sunshine's curator at Lloyd is 80, and your other over 60). I must say I was concerned that your 80yo was required to work in extreme conditions on a number of occasions this season. Clubs must try to get younger people involved. In this regard, I have prepared a training manual based on my lengthy experience as a club-appointed curator and I will be happy to email a copy to anyone providing me with an email address.

Without knowing Sunshine's financial position, I would suggest there are a number of clubs who will struggle for survival once the dividend pin is pulled. It is going to make junior programs vitally important to ensure qulaity players are kept without a huge need to pay players!

Back