Subbies Thread

Ha Ha. Elsternwick also beat a top 6 side so Balwyn stayed in. ?karma for Brunswick after recent protest. Good effort by Brighton but will rain intervene ? Adverse conditions might help lower placed sides if play allowed. Brighton 2's in finals for 8th year and only South side. Have changed opinion and expect Plenty v Malvern GF. Malvern looking really good lately with class players like Hale and Dunne not able to get in. Brighton may be the nomad team next year with bayside considering a BeachOval makeover.

Ha Ha. Elsternwick also beat a top 6 side so Balwyn stayed in. ?karma for Brunswick after recent protest. Good effort by Brighton but will rain intervene ? Adverse conditions might help lower placed sides if play allowed. Brighton 2's in finals for 8th year and only South side. Have changed opinion and expect Plenty v Malvern GF. Malvern looking really good lately with class players like Hale and Dunne not able to get in. Brighton may be the nomad team next year with bayside considering a BeachOval makeover.
Good luck with that, I didn't think it would be as hard as it was!

Congrats to Plenty Valley on the Club Championship and also to Oakleigh who I believe have made their 13th straight finals appearance in the 1's, unbelievable effort!

Interesting in the East/West with Werribee losing their last two matches to Oakleigh and Bayswater with two huge collapses with the bat from winning positions. I will still back Werribee in to come home with the flag in a close one vs Oakleigh. Something remarkable would have to happen in my opinion for Plenty not to win the North/South group.

Just got off the BOM's site. I guess there will a number of clubs anxiously regularly looking at it right now, and others hoping it will rain all weekend. The following weekend's weather on another site not great either. The curators and umpires may be under a bit of pressure this weekend--particularly the umpires.

What are people's thoughts on the changes to the awards in the VSDCA? I must say I don't think it was totally necessary. I have been told that the subbies have done this before and change these awards a bit but I feel as if we have lost something with these changes.

What are people's thoughts on the changes to the awards in the VSDCA? I must say I don't think it was totally necessary. I have been told that the subbies have done this before and change these awards a bit but I feel as if we have lost something with these changes.
With the greatest respect to John Craig, Hatch is Hatch and will be known as that. Some of the others I don't have issues with.

With the greatest respect to John Craig, Hatch is Hatch and will be known as that. Some of the others I don't have issues with.

Above my thoughts too when I read the subbies home page this am. I think 'The Hatch Shield' has become a brand name a possible outcome being it may well take some time for the new name to become common usage. If 'The John Craig Shield', or the like, is adopted for everyday usage it may help ready acceptance of the change, for the official name is too long for everyday use. Great honour for John--would be a pity if there is slow acceptance of the change in the brand's name.

I agree and also with the greatest respect to John Craig but as Westland also mentioned, its a name that is widely recognised and something that people can also relate back to. It has sparked a lot of talk at my club and I'm at a few others also.

While I'm at it would like to congratulate the subbies on the way they handled the wet weather conditions over the weekend, extending play on Sunday to make it fair for both sides in nearly all cases. The last thing anyone wants is a result to be determined by the weather and I believe they did the best job they could've under the circumstances.

I agree and also with the greatest respect to John Craig but as Westland also mentioned, its a name that is widely recognised and something that people can also relate back to. It has sparked a lot of talk at my club and I'm at a few others also.

While I'm at it would like to congratulate the subbies on the way they handled the wet weather conditions over the weekend, extending play on Sunday to make it fair for both sides in nearly all cases. The last thing anyone wants is a result to be determined by the weather and I believe they did the best job they could've under the circumstances.

Subbies streets ahead of the VTCA in the management of finals. I today rec'd an email fr the pres of the Y'ville Club CC the opening para of which reads '' We make it very clear to the VTCA that we will not host any finals at our ground unless we ourselves are involved directly. We have been burnt many times over the years''. He also said, in respect to the Senior Div GF between his club and Sth Caulfield, that his club was asked to provide their pitch cover and hessian for use at the neutral venue, Crofts Reserve, Altona North, as these items at Crofts were not up to standard. Makes me wonder why the venue was selected in the first place. I think his comments strengthen the argument for the subbies model. Neutral grounds may in theory be preferable for GF's, but the feedback I am getting is that at the lower levels of the VTCA in particular the host clubs, not having one of their teams involved, are not enthused at being asked to host a GF. Southern Sledge is no doubt better qualified than me to participate in this debate. Hope he posts.

The Yarraville president offered their full covers mate.
The venue has raised a fair bit of debate with the higher team South Caulfield having to travel.
What is different in finals than the Subbies model is the fact that the VTCA has promotion and relegation and these grades are to be played at a neutral venue, all other grades the higher side gets to host their final.

The Yarraville president offered their full covers mate.
The venue has raised a fair bit of debate with the higher team South Caulfield having to travel.
What is different in finals than the Subbies model is the fact that the VTCA has promotion and relegation and these grades are to be played at a neutral venue, all other grades the higher side gets to host their final.

Honestly, I don't know what to believe--Yarraville Club CC say the offer of their covers and hessian was made on finding out the ones at Crofts were not up to standard. Find it hard to believe such lack of attention to detail by the governing body would happen in the subbies. Also, as one of the clubs in the subbies is both the host and directly involved in the final, there is a greater incentive on the host getting all the details right prior to the commencement of the game than in the VTCA where the host club at a neutral venue has no direct involvement at all in the game. Also, the VTCA's host club must provide their facility for two successive weekends--a big ask of the club's volunteers when the club may have no other reason to be open. If the club does not make decent bar and canteen money out of it, why bother? That was the experience of the Yarraville Club CC in the past and is a factor in its stance to only host a final if it is directly involved -- which is another way of saying they would prefer the subbies model. I add my only connection with the club is a contractual one in respect to its curating needs.

They never said they were sub standard at all, What was said was that YC had covers that will cover the whole table and being the lower side they need to play, so they said is it alright if they supply theirs along with a super soper, which they used on Sunday morning..

They never said they were sub standard at all, What was said was that YC had covers that will cover the whole table and being the lower side they need to play, so they said is it alright if they supply theirs along with a super soper, which they used on Sunday morning..

There are several VTCA clubs not in the finals and not far from Crofts Reserve that already have the full-size covers. This is the comp's marquee game we are talking about here, and the VTCA executive should be hands-on in seeing that all that is needed to give the match the best possibility of operating smoothly be attended to BY THEM. It shouldn't be up to the club finishing lower on the ladder having to be concerned about the covers not being wide enough to cover the entire table and providing their own material to overcome the matter. The VTCA should have organised full-size covers in advance from the several alternative sources readily available--the clubs actually involved in the match should not have been required to worry about such matters. The VTCA executive have been derelict in attending to what is their responsibility. It is they, and only they, who allocate finals venues.

You should maybe have a rest mate, as you wouldn't have a clue what happens in the VTCA

Your standard reply when you are unwilling to address points raised. I intended to have a rest anyway knowing that further discussion of this matter should take place on the BC VTCA forum of which you are a member, but I am not.

Back to the cricket and the VSDCA big match ups all round this weekend obviously. You would think Plenty, Caulfield and Werribee would get through but the close one for me is Bayswater v Oakleigh. I'm backing the Oak's to win away from home. Werribee v Oakleigh and Plenty v Caulfield would be a blockbuster weekend of GF's.

Back