Subbies Thread

Premier cricket will be way too large if that is the case.

Also hearing Matthew Harrison from Geelong has signed at Ormond, huge get for that club if true.

Reasonable to assume he should be a huge get, but my recollection is he didn't set the world on fire when he played for Yarraville a couple of seasons or so ago. I wish him well, for he is a good bloke.

If subbies lose 2,3 or 4 teams over the next couple of years, where will they get replacement teams from if CV grand plans come to fruition? Will make it harder for subbies to stand alone if the other comps commit to CV.

I actually think it is the opposite.

The Hawthorn merger failure was only a minor hiccup in CV's plans for Premier. They were always going to introduce teams into the under represented areas. In time, Melton, Werribee, and PV will all go to Premier. If Hawthorn survives, it will eventually go to a 22 team comp, Ballarat or similiar get to even up the numbers.

I also think Kingston will merge with Hawthorn, if that is their "new" current first preference. Moorabbin, Bentleigh, Beaumaris, and Caulfield South are all good potential merger partners geographically but apparently Caulfield South have already declined.

With Subbies correctly IMO opting out the CV restructure, it actually positions Subbies firmly as the next best comp. I honestly can't see why VTCA would opt in as Yarraville Club and Strathmore would no longer play against Caulfield South and Beaumaris etc. The five divisions would lack any type of meaningful depth except in the DDCA and ECA where basically things are status quo. Without Subbies clubs , the new structure looks second rate. The new opportunities in Subbies arising from, I expect, the abovementioned 4 subbies clubs going to Premier, will be very attractive to the powerhouse clubs from outside Subbies.

If I am wrong, worse comes to worse, two 12 team comps instead of 14, not the end of the world.

The Hawthorn merger failure was only a minor hiccup in CV's plans for Premier. They were always going to introduce teams into the under represented areas. In time, Melton, Werribee, and PV will all go to Premier. If Hawthorn survives, it will eventually go to a 22 team comp, Ballarat or similiar get to even up the numbers.

I also think Kingston will merge with Hawthorn, if that is their "new" current first preference. Moorabbin, Bentleigh, Beaumaris, and Caulfield South are all good potential merger partners geographically but apparently Caulfield South have already declined.

With Subbies correctly IMO opting out the CV restructure, it actually positions Subbies firmly as the next best comp. I honestly can't see why VTCA would opt in as Yarraville Club and Strathmore would no longer play against Caulfield South and Beaumaris etc. The five divisions would lack any type of meaningful depth except in the DDCA and ECA where basically things are status quo. Without Subbies clubs , the new structure looks second rate. The new opportunities in Subbies arising from, I expect, the abovementioned 4 subbies clubs going to Premier, will be very attractive to the powerhouse clubs from outside Subbies.

If I am wrong, worse comes to worse, two 12 team comps instead of 14, not the end of the world.
RTG, are you stating that if the increase in Premier clubs occurs, YC and Strathmore will become Subbies Clubs?

RTG, are you stating that if the increase in Premier clubs occurs, YC and Strathmore will become Subbies Clubs?

I am not saying which clubs specifically but I think any vacancy in Subbies would be very attractive to a powerhouse club that found itself in one of 5 little ponds under the CV restructure. YC is an issue due to being so close to Yarraville but their reality is instead of winning 9 out of the last 10 Senior Division flags they will win 10 out 10 CV West Region flags in a canter. Even the biggest bunch of self backslappers would have to have a long hard think about that.

BTW SS, without breaching any confidentiality, could you give us your tip on the merger? Is it a chance? Understand if you don't want to comment.
RTG, I need a lot more information before I make a decision one way or another. I can state that there will be a meeting with members next week to discuss proposals. Anything is possible, however, in my position at the club, I want a lot more information before I would sign off my agreement.

Fair enough, appreciate the response. As someone with no vested interest in either club, I think it would be great for the Kingston and surrounding areas but agree you want all the details in front of you before making the final call one way or the other. Best of luck with the process.

Not sure why anyone would entertain a nomadic club like Hawthorn unless it's purely for $.SS ,would you have to find another ground for 3s and 4s,surely that ground at St bedes wouldn't be suitable for Premier competition?

Slight adjustment to the details surrounding the selection of the TOTY, my apologies.

Group XII's will be announced, but not until Hatch Dinner night, these will be presented just prior to the selection of the official VSDCA XII for 2014/15.

In the meantime a squad of 24 has been publically announced of which the 12 will come from. These 24 make up the players from which the club competition to select the team will be based.

Z.ALLEN (Endeavour Hills)

M.ALLEN (Melton)

S.AYRES (Plenty Valley)

L.BALDRY (Caulfield)

C.BROWN (Croydon)

R.DAMIANO (Caulfield)

H.FINCH (Yarraville)

M.JOHNSTONE (Rox P-B)

B.JONES (Melton)

M.JONES (Malvern)

A.KING (Caulfield)

M.LOVE (Yarraville)

P.MATAUTAAVA (Rox P-B)

A.MAYNARD (Altona)

D.McKAY (Brunswick)

B.MITCHELL (Plenty Valley)

L.MURPHY (Balwyn)

M.PERERA (Noble Park)

B.PINWILL (Oakleigh)

H.PRITCHARD (Werribee)

A.WALTER (Croydon)

R.WIGHT (Ormond)

J.WILD (Ormond)

L.WINTLE (Kingston Saints)

I agree the VTCA is unlikely to be attracted to the CV Model given the subbies have rejected it. In any case, it is only a month ago I posted on p59 that a member of the VTCA's BOM then told me the VTCA were not in favour of the CV model, (this being consistent with the president's article in the Dec 2014 edition of Leading Edge). However, I can't helping thinking that CV, having invested so much intellectual capital into their model, will readily abandon it. The 6 metro turf comps were required to report to CV by 23 March and I have not yet to heard if numbers in favour and against the CV model vary to the preliminary info given in the 80 page CV document. Eventually the final numbers will become public and, I guess, the future action proposed by CV.

I agree the VTCA is unlikely to be attracted to the CV Model given the subbies have rejected it. In any case, it is only a month ago I posted on p59 that a member of the VTCA's BOM then told me the VTCA were not in favour of the CV model, (this being consistent with the president's article in the Dec 2014 edition of Leading Edge). However, I can't helping thinking that CV, having invested so much intellectual capital into their model, will readily abandon it. The 6 metro turf comps were required to report to CV by 23 March and I have not yet to heard if numbers in favour and against the CV model vary to the preliminary info given in the 80 page CV document. Eventually the final numbers will become public and, I guess, the future action proposed by CV.

Agree, it is significant that a month has passed without a word out of HQ. Might be a bit of head scratching going on.

Number of issues to go through, grounds being one.

CV can provide a short term solution to ground unavailability as they have in the past for other clubs with ground issues. Ian Johnson oval and Harry Trott oval are used by them in this type of situation. That works as long as you have the long term local solution sorted.

Would I be correct in suggesting the question of your club's identity is high on your list of issues?
There are a number of issues being sorted at this point. Identity is certainly big in my mind, given I have played at the club for my whole career. Given our name is shared by the council and we would require significant council funding to achieve, I can't see the club being the Hawthorn Saints!

A lot going on in subbies circles.

Johnstone gone from RPB, most likely to Werribee as CC, Brad Robertson to Werribee from Footscray, Harrison to Ormond. Surely something has to give at Werribee with those in's, Pilch? O'Brien?

There are a number of issues being sorted at this point. Identity is certainly big in my mind, given I have played at the club for my whole career. Given our name is shared by the council and we would require significant council funding to achieve, I can't see the club being the Hawthorn Saints!

Fully understood for loyalty to your club, and the subbies, has so often been evident in your posts. BTW, I had already been told by a Premier Cricket source a principal reason the D'nong merger fell over was that Hawthorn felt it was more a take-over by D'nong rather than a merger. I find it difficult to see how a subbies club would retain much of its identity on a merger with a Premier club--- I guess Council support and big $$'s from CV would be essential elements. It would be an exciting development and this may over-ride negative issues. I await with interest posts from you on developments when appropriate.

... I had already been told by a Premier Cricket source a principal reason the D'nong merger fell over was that Hawthorn felt it was more a take-over by D'nong rather than a merger...
They're on the record as saying that. Bizarre though really. I mean what does HMU actually bring to the table in a merger with Dandenong? Dandenong doesn't need that merger, but Hawthorn do. They sold out moving to Monash Uni and now they're got nothing to bargain with, except their spot in premier, so they've targetted subbie and VTCA clubs who may covet that. But I hope Kingston drive a tough bargain, because Hawthorn need it more than they do.
Kingston Hawks maybe.

Back