Subbies Thread

I think you meant Willy and Y'ville as EH was the home team, not Y'ville. I was concerned to be told by the Yarraville players that EH's pitch was not marked out. In my experience it is seldom the pitch is so wet the lines cannot be marked and, when it is, almost all other pitches are similarly saturated . This was not the case last Sat. as only 2 games in the 1's did not get underway, the home team in both cases having to bat. I recall a case in the 1's a few seasons ago where the curator had not marked out the pitch and the home team had to bat. The umpires told the club if it was not marked out within the next half hour the club would be reported for non-preparation of pitch. That had the desired effect!! After all, Law 3 provides the umpires are the sole judges of the fitness of the ground for play, not the curator. I always mark out the pitch if at all possible leaving it to the umpires to do their job as required by Law 3.
Yes correct.

I do note a Premier game was called off as the pitch was deemed 'too dangerous'. Get a pitch up and let the umpy's decide whether we play or not.

Some years ago, we got pinged $300 because we had holes in our covers. Inetersted to see what will happen...............................

Sorry, my mistake. Still need to ask the question: why was it called off Friday? Surely work on the pitch could have got it playable, unless there is a specific 'rain belt' at Pargeter!!

The 2 most recent posts by SS and Platypus were not on the forum when I commenced my last post due to my being interrupted by a lengthy phone call. The Yarraville players failed to tell me EH had told the executive on Friday there was no hope of play the following day. If this was so, why on earth would the executive have Y'ville make a futile trip the next day? More info needed I think. Perhaps the executive were of the view the umpires should be left to determine the fitness of the ground for play as required by law 3.

The 2 most recent posts by SS and Platypus were not on the forum when I commenced my last post due to my being interrupted by a lengthy phone call. The Yarraville players failed to tell me EH had told the executive on Friday there was no hope of play the following day. If this was so, why on earth would the executive have Y'ville make a futile trip the next day? More info needed I think. Perhaps the executive were of the view the umpires should be left to determine the fitness of the ground for play as required by law 3.

Yes correct.

I do note a Premier game was called off as the pitch was deemed 'too dangerous'. Get a pitch up and let the umpy's decide whether we play or not.

Some years ago, we got pinged $300 because we had holes in our covers. Inetersted to see what will happen...............................

Likewise interested to see what will happen. Feedback fr members will be appreciated.

Oakleigh v Melton will be a cracker on Saturday as will Plenty Valley v Ormond.
A big week ahead with 12 points up for grabs over the 2 weekends

Oakleigh v Melton will be a cracker on Saturday as will Plenty Valley v Ormond.
A big week ahead with 12 points up for grabs over the 2 weekends

I will have a dip at the East/West games this round:
Oakleigh vs Melton- Oakleigh to get over the line. Melton's fielding could really let them down this season, I know they dropped Sheedy 4 times last round and with a few older bodies I think Oakleigh will be too good, just need to see out Jones.
Yarraville vs Willy- Local rivalry, should be a huge game. Yarraville are looking good with the return of Love and with senior players Hewet and McRae looking good. We get Speakman, Hall and Popa back this week which really strengthens our side. Willy in a close one with Sheedy to get another big one.
Bayswater vs Croydon- Bayswater really looking a strong side this year and think they will continue on their winning ways.
Box Hill vs Noble Park- Box Hill look to be back to their strength of 5 or 6 years ago with the Blake's back as well as an improved batting line up. Expect them to win at home.
Altona vs Sunshine- You never know in 1 day cricket but Altona look a far better outfit this season with the 3 Footscray players leading the way. Expect McCammond to get a bag of wickets here and Maynard a huge score. Look out Crows!
RPB vs Werribee- My tip for the flag Werribee to keep on their winning ways with a big victory over RPB expected. Pritchard looks to have filled the missing link of an extra bowler, with fantastic figures last week. Shaun Dean due for a big score!
Endeavour Hills vs Mt Waverly- Expect Endeavour to get the job done at home.

Should be a massive round of cricket.

Three inductees into the Subbies 200 club this round. Williams from Ormond and 2 Blakes from Box Hill. Amazing to have 2 brothers inducted on the same day. Congratulations to all 3 and good luck for the week-end.

I hope Williamstown and Endeavour Hills have protested their results.

I applaud the Subbies play at all costs mantra, however, if teams get away with not having a crack at preparing pitches, then they shouldn't get the points. If we can get our 'alternative' ground up for the game when it is a long way from the club, there is no excuse for other clubs.

One thing that does interest me is that, in the 3rd XI game at Melton, they were bowling. Too much of a coincidence for me.

Can I assume neither Willy nor Y'ville protested the results as hoped by you? Let's hope we are not headed for another frustrating day 2 this round --- the long-term forecast is for rain Sat week. I am looking forward to watching the Willy v Y'ville match and will be disappointed if it is rain-affected.

Pencil in Y'ville's Curtis Maguire to keep an eye on based on yesterday's performance. Now has permanent residency in OZ and has settled down a lot. Opened the bowling at a lively fast-medium and top-scored on a new pitch with little bit in it. The 'Great Man' looked to be about to tear Y'ville's attack apart but missed a Tim McRae leggie when 40. Timmy said it was a 'wrong un' that turned a mile--believe it if you will!!
Normally, I wouldn't be happy about Melton being beaten by a team fr the East, but let's say I am not overly upset on this occasion and leave it at that. We folk fr the 'Deprived West' may have to look to W'bee to fly the flag for us this season given Oakleigh's convincing performance on Sat. Can you go past the Oaks and the 'bees as grand finalists? A game I would not miss.

Pencil in Y'ville's Curtis Maguire to keep an eye on based on yesterday's performance. Now has permanent residency in OZ and has settled down a lot. Opened the bowling at a lively fast-medium and top-scored on a new pitch with little bit in it. The 'Great Man' looked to be about to tear Y'ville's attack apart but missed a Tim McRae leggie when 40. Timmy said it was a 'wrong un' that turned a mile--believe it if you will!!
Normally, I wouldn't be happy about Melton being beaten by a team fr the East, but let's say I am not overly upset on this occasion and leave it at that. We folk fr the 'Deprived West' may have to look to W'bee to fly the flag for us this season given Oakleigh's convincing performance on Sat. Can you go past the Oaks and the 'bees as grand finalists? A game I would not miss.

All this talk of "The Great Man" is embarrassing.

It was YWL that said the 'great man' was unhappy with a disgusting post on the previous thread. I am sure you will remember what that was all about.
Yeah I've read and heard it a few times, probably a little over the top to be naming someone "the great man". Anyway back to the cricket, who's got some early tips for finalists in each group?
I think Plenty Valley, Caulfield and Ormond will be sides to beat I the South North group, Werribee will win the other.

Yeah I've read and heard it a few times, probably a little over the top to be naming someone "the great man". Anyway back to the cricket, who's got some early tips for finalists in each group?
I think Plenty Valley, Caulfield and Ormond will be sides to beat I the South North group, Werribee will win the other.

We haven't had a post fr B&GOCC for some time. Maybe your prediction that 'Werribee will win the other' will prompt a response? There is no doubt W'bee have recruited well, but I am on the wrong side of town to know about the situation at Oakleigh. You seem categoric that Werribee will win the other--any particular reason why you have discounted Oakleigh so early in the season?

We haven't had a post fr B&GOCC for some time. Maybe your prediction that 'Werribee will win the other' will prompt a response? There is no doubt W'bee have recruited well, but I am on the wrong side of town to know about the situation at Oakleigh. You seem categoric that Werribee will win the other--any particular reason why you have discounted Oakleigh so early in the season?
I just think Werribee's awesome batting rather than Oakleighs short comings is the difference. I think Oakleigh are still a great side but as I said I can't go past Werribee's batting.

Back