Subbies Thread

Totally agree. If clubs put in the work to get a pitch up, let's play!
Much better than using the pitch prepared by your club's curator for a 'centre wicket hit/game' by your own members due that day's play being called off by the subbies exec. owing to a number of pitches not being ready.
The exec have sent a strong positive message to curators, in effect--'go ahead and prepare a pitch if you can, because we will use it if you do; your week's efforts will not be futile'. I hope they ensure this message is appropriately promulgated.

YWL, is there any truth in what another curator told me this arvo, that Willi has been fined $1K by the subbies for not having their main oval's pitch fit for play week1? I am sceptical.

No truth mate. Due to Williamstown VFL going deep into the finals our council curator was unable to get one up in time, similar to Werribee and therefore there was no fine. Great to have cricket back, it feels like it comes around quicker and quicker every year.

Noble Park must have played well against Oakleigh - they could be very dangerous in the East/West division with a really solid bowling attack and a gun spinner

Plenty of POMS running around this seson and some of them look very handy. They are already having a big influence on games. Yaraville v Melton must have been a cracker of a game

Plenty of POMS running around this seson and some of them look very handy. They are already having a big influence on games. Yaraville v Melton must have been a cracker of a game

Heard Yarraville got away to a flyer with two young chaps opening the innings. The Melton quicks and spinner must have stopped the flow of runs after the openers fell, which resulted in wickets tumbling. Must have been a good finish! Yarraville should be very competitive this season!

Big Lorenzo must have played some sort of innings on the weekend. Glad we played him last year and not this year. He is in a rich vein of form. Can play.

Big Lorenzo must have played some sort of innings on the weekend. Glad we played him last year and not this year. He is in a rich vein of form. Can play.

Agree 100%, after watching his amazing innings in the group final last year, I can't for the life of me work out how he doesn't ton up every time he goes out to bat.

We may be headed for a frustrating weekend, especially for the visiting clubs who batted last Sat.hoping to get the home team caught on a 'sticky'. Will the home teams batting second make strenuous efforts to get their pitch playable? However, Box Hill may not relish the prospect of knocking off the remaining runs v Sunshine if they get a start at Dempster. I should add I am not this season curating for a subbies club.

We may be headed for a frustrating weekend, especially for the visiting clubs who batted last Sat.hoping to get the home team caught on a 'sticky'. Will the home teams batting second make strenuous efforts to get their pitch playable? However, Box Hill may not relish the prospect of knocking off the remaining runs v Sunshine if they get a start at Dempster. I should add I am not this season curating for a subbies club.

I guess we all hope that clubs and curators will do their best to bring up the best wicket they can regardless of the situation of the game

Can anyone tell me why play was possible on Sat at Maccy Park no.2 oval, but not on no.1? I have no connection with either club, but am understandably curious given the ovals are alongside each other. Perhaps, wind blew off the cover on the no. 1 oval, but not on the other.

After 2 rounds a few things apparent.
Caulfield - still the team to beat
Ormond - Maintained their improvement. Still not convinced about depth.Stronger than recent years.
Malvern - surprise package. Good ins with strong core still present. Should play finals.
Brighton and Moorabbin - treading water. Will have wins and losses .Will struggle to make finals but will cause upsets.
Elsternwick - huge loss in bowling. Will be very competitive in 1day games.
Kingston Saints. Finalists last year. Seem to have struggled early. Will struggle to repeat finals performance. Terrible percentage already 3 games behind.
Predict 4 South teams in finals continuing the recent past as the strongest division. No easy games against South teams.

Can anyone tell me why play was possible on Sat at Maccy Park no.2 oval, but not on no.1? I have no connection with either club, but am understandably curious given the ovals are alongside each other. Perhaps, wind blew off the cover on the no. 1 oval, but not on the other.

Exactly the same question I asked when I heard our 1's were off and 3's were playing. The number 2 oval was fine and the rest of the square on the no.1 oval was dry as a bone but the centre wicket was no where near it. A few of our players said that they could get their fingers in the wicket up to their knuckles it was that wet and they all said they had seen nothing like it.

We were disappointed not to get a crack at Melton with 200 on the board which we felt was more than competitive given the slowness of the ground.

Exactly the same question I asked when I heard our 1's were off and 3's were playing. The number 2 oval was fine and the rest of the square on the no.1 oval was dry as a bone but the centre wicket was no where near it. A few of our players said that they could get their fingers in the wicket up to their knuckles it was that wet and they all said they had seen nothing like it.

We were disappointed not to get a crack at Melton with 200 on the board which we felt was more than competitive given the slowness of the ground.

If Willy has not been given an explanation for what you have outlined, it is entitled to one as a matter of common courtesy. Has that happened and, if so, was it satisfied with it?
Very disgruntled lads at Yarraville too on their return fr Endeavour Hills. Mutterings that the curator is the 1's captain and no attempt appeared to have been made to prepare a pitch. Not good.
You may be aware that the 3 one-dayers in Premier Cricket that did not play will be replayed at a later date. Perhaps the subbies may have to consider re-playing abandoned matches (both one and two-dayers), as one -dayers at a later date all scores on day one of an abandoned two-dayer being cancelled out. Bear in mind that a number of curators in this comp are club-appointed and, I may add, that is the situation at both clubs in question here. I am only too well aware of the unfair pressure that can be applied to club-appointed curators such as me under such circumstances.

From afar the Melton case looks like plain incompetance.
Willy would surely have a case for claiming the points?
One wonders if the situation was reversed and it was Willy chasing 200 plus on a slow ground would there have been play? Bit dodgy.

From afar the Melton case looks like plain incompetance.
Willy would surely have a case for claiming the points?
One wonders if the situation was reversed and it was Willy chasing 200 plus on a slow ground would there have been play? Bit dodgy.
I hope Williamstown and Endeavour Hills have protested their results.

I applaud the Subbies play at all costs mantra, however, if teams get away with not having a crack at preparing pitches, then they shouldn't get the points. If we can get our 'alternative' ground up for the game when it is a long way from the club, there is no excuse for other clubs.

One thing that does interest me is that, in the 3rd XI game at Melton, they were bowling. Too much of a coincidence for me.

I applaud the Subbies play at all costs mantra, however, if teams get away with not having a crack at preparing pitches, then they shouldn't get the points. If we can get our 'alternative' ground up for the game when it is a long way from the club, there is no excuse for other clubs.

One thing that does interest me is that, in the 3rd XI game at Melton, they were bowling. Too much of a coincidence for me.
Endeavour Hills were the home team, so they would have nothing to protest. Probably happy with the 3 points, I'd think. From what I have heard EH advised the executive that there was no chance of play on the Friday so that Yarraville would not need to make the trip, but the "report to grounds" message was issued anyway

Endeavour Hills were the home team, so they would have nothing to protest. Probably happy with the 3 points, I'd think. From what I have heard EH advised the executive that there was no chance of play on the Friday so that Yarraville would not need to make the trip, but the "report to grounds" message was issued anyway
Sorry, my mistake. Still need to ask the question: why was it called off Friday? Surely work on the pitch could have got it playable, unless there is a specific 'rain belt' at Pargeter!!

I think you meant Willy and Y'ville as EH was the home team, not Y'ville. I was concerned to be told by the Yarraville players that EH's pitch was not marked out. In my experience it is seldom the pitch is so wet the lines cannot be marked and, when it is, almost all other pitches are similarly saturated . This was not the case last Sat. as only 2 games in the 1's did not get underway, the home team in both cases having to bat. I recall a case in the 1's a few seasons ago where the curator had not marked out the pitch and the home team had to bat. The umpires told the club if it was not marked out within the next half hour the club would be reported for non-preparation of pitch. That had the desired effect!! After all, Law 3 provides the umpires are the sole judges of the fitness of the ground for play, not the curator. I always mark out the pitch if at all possible leaving it to the umpires to do their job as required by Law 3.

Back