Subbies Thread

The East West group is very interestingly poised. Werribee (42) and oakleigh (36) are the 2 stand out clubs and would be the 2 sides most likely to play off on the last weekend.
Bayswater (36), Altona (30) and Noble Park (30) look like the next best and will all be pushing to finish as high up as they can and these sides should fill the top 5 with the race for home finals being important.
The race for 6th is a ripper - Endeavour Hills grabbed 10 points last round and have jumped to 19 points and currently are in 6th. Box Hill, Roxborough Park and Croydon are all on 18 points and are very capable sides on their day.
Melton have been very unlucky and with 6 games left they probabaly need to win them all. They have the ability to do this and could still fly home into 6th spot if they get on a run.
Yaraville have loads of talent, Sunshine are improving each week, Willy have started making big scores and seem less reliant on Sheedy, Mt Waverley are much better than their results reflect

Endeavour hills will be keen to put an end to Melton's slim chance of playing in the finals Rd8 at Maccy and may find Willy a challenge Rd8 at Pargeter if Inness is by then fit to bowl flat-out, then they are away to Oakleigh, so they probably have the toughest 3 rounds on the resumption of the teams vying for 6th spot. As half the remaining 6 rounds are one-dayers, teams vying for 6th spot must aim to win at least two of them.
Rd 12, Oakleigh v W'bee should be a cracker and may give an indication as to which team is the better.

Thinking to myself not looking fwd to curating in next week's extreme heat when it dawned on me that these days the comp has an extreme heat policy. If forecast of 43C for Sat week eventuates I guess the heat policy will apply. Any comments?

Thinking to myself not looking fwd to curating in next week's extreme heat when it dawned on me that these days the comp has an extreme heat policy. If forecast of 43C for Sat week eventuates I guess the heat policy will apply. Any comments?

There has only been one instance of play being cancelled due to hot weather, that being back on 'Black Saturday - Feb 2009, when temperatures topped 48 degrees (incidentally Moorabbin played an intra-club match this day).
I would expect that should an extreme temperature day such as a forecast 43 degree take place the exec will approve extreme condition policy, including longer breaks, extra drinks etc.
Especially as it is a one day match, I suggest the Exec would be loathe to cancel the match.

Should be recognised on here the great achievement of Darren Scott playing his 300th game this weekend. A great bloke and a great of this competition. Had 8 years at Williamstown and won 8 Club Champion's and has had 14 fantastic seasons at Coburg also, good luck Scotty!

If you didn't comprehend , I meant if its 43, not 20.

Completely understood you SS, and apologies for the flippant response. I was trying to illustrate that what if somebody passed away or was seriously injured when the heat was much lower than what most would consider excessive? Where do we draw the line?

I am as concerned for players well being as anyone, and take a fairly conservative approach, so I believe the heat policy as it stands now which allows for a collaboration and common sense between umpires and captains to be best.
To put an exact value on the level before cancellation does not take into account external factors. What if at 10am the expected high is 45, but a cool change comes through earlier and it is 27 by 1pm?

We need to be diligent in understanding limitations, and putting in place measures to ensure players and officials can cope as well as possible, which I believe the current policy does.

Should be recognised on here the great achievement of Darren Scott playing his 300th game this weekend. A great bloke and a great of this competition. Had 8 years at Williamstown and won 8 Club Champion's and has had 14 fantastic seasons at Coburg also, good luck Scotty!

Good call YWL, has had a lot of success at Coburg as well, and is often the driving force behind that. Has also recently become a selector of the TOTY and Rep side, another string to his bow and illustrates the esteem he is held in around the competition.

Would be also remiss of me not to acknowledge DJ, the OCC wicketkeeper on achieving 200 First XI games. Has probably been unfairly compared to batsmen/keepers throughout his career, but is as good as anyone I've seen with the gloves.

320 dismissals, and an outstanding batting average of 14 from predominantly number 11 is an achievement to be very proud of.

Completely understood you SS, and apologies for the flippant response. I was trying to illustrate that what if somebody passed away or was seriously injured when the heat was much lower than what most would consider excessive? Where do we draw the line?

I am as concerned for players well being as anyone, and take a fairly conservative approach, so I believe the heat policy as it stands now which allows for a collaboration and common sense between umpires and captains to be best.
To put an exact value on the level before cancellation does not take into account external factors. What if at 10am the expected high is 45, but a cool change comes through earlier and it is 27 by 1pm?

We need to be diligent in understanding limitations, and putting in place measures to ensure players and officials can cope as well as possible, which I believe the current policy does.

It may be wise to limit the possibility of someone 'keeling over' by cancelling the 3rds and 4ths grades a day or two before the round if it is by then fairly certain we are in for a scorcher on the Sat. I well remember 2009, then being the club-appointed curator at the Yarraville Oval (an activity totally unrelated to my full-time job). Tried to beat the extreme heat in the days leading up to match day by getting as much done as possible early in each day then covering the pitch with shade cloth lightly regularly irrigating over it by hand-held hose with nozzle attached. Although my work turned out to be for nothing, I fully agreed with the decision to cancel play. I am aware municipal councils these days also have heat policies and it is my understanding this varies from Council to Council, but I have no idea whether such policies in the event of extreme heat leading up to Sat may adversely affect pitch preparation in some municipalities. That said, I have no doubt the subby's executive will at all times be taking into account the need to maintain good relationships with municipal councils.

Boys its been a while!!!

I want to get in first and say a big congrats to my old batting partner grant sandars on reaching his 200th 1st xl game...... great bloke great performer for the w.c.c and goes alright on the sip too!!

tough-loves a contest-leader-keeps it simple-family man-3023 blood are words that describe colonel well done bud!!!

Cheers

Boys its been a while!!!

I want to get in first and say a big congrats to my old batting partner grant sandars on reaching his 200th 1st xl game...... great bloke great performer for the w.c.c and goes alright on the sip too!!

tough-loves a contest-leader-keeps it simple-family man-3023 blood are words that describe colonel well done bud!!!

Cheers
Good to hear from you Weapo, and may I say, you seem to be doing a pretty good job at the Crows, keep it going!

I actually think they handled it very well and it was a sensible compromise. 9.00 start and 30 overs per side worked out ok.
Last day was cancelled because the top 2 in each group could not change. Kudos VSDCA
It was too much for kids that age in that heat, Its a competition that's not really needed

Good to hear from you Weapo, and may I say, you seem to be doing a pretty good job at the Crows, keep it going!
I also congratulate Grant Sandars (''the Colonel'') on reaching the 200 games milestone. Caught up with Grant recently at Barry McConnell's (Wozzle's) 70th birthday. (Wozzle is a life member of Willy). Grant's dad, Peter, and I played for opposing clubs years and years ago in the now defunct Sunshine Cricket Ass'n and Grant put me through to his Dad at Wozzle's party and we had a good old chat. I am told Peter is a major sponsor of Willy and two other clubs. So, Grant has a distinguished cricketing pedigree and it shows. I greatly respect him.

Back