Subbies Thread

Interesting moves from Brunswick - they obviously don't think they're far away. Fort's a good player, and a big personality, so will be interesting to see how he and McKay fare in the same team. Mat Hewat also a great pickup for PVBCC - out of the game for a couple of seasons, so I'm backing a few sheets were involved to reignite his love for the game!

So, RPBCC are out, what happens next? Does an external club come in? Or does Coburg get shifted across? Likewise, if South Caulfield come in, do Balwyn and Malvern get shifted?

Interesting moves from Brunswick - they obviously don't think they're far away. Fort's a good player, and a big personality, so will be interesting to see how he and McKay fare in the same team. Mat Hewat also a great pickup for PVBCC - out of the game for a couple of seasons, so I'm backing a few sheets were involved to reignite his love for the game!

So, RPBCC are out, what happens next? Does an external club come in? Or does Coburg get shifted across? Likewise, if South Caulfield come in, do Balwyn and Malvern get shifted?
South Caulfield I believe are going to the new comp. Subbies are trying a few clubs in the North, but why anyone would shift is beyond me as all will be one before long

A few clubs in the North have done well with early recruiting. But I'm sure they realise that's what's required as the South/North group is going to be particularly strong.

Oakleigh, Ormond, Caulfield, Brighton, Malvern and an ever improving Elsternwick team are always hard to beat.

Last edited:
South Caulfield I believe are going to the new comp. Subbies are trying a few clubs in the North, but why anyone would shift is beyond me as all will be one before long

You posted Tony Dodemaide, et al, spoke well at the VTCA meeting but you did not advise what they said. As you seem so confident ''all will be one before long'', I ask is your view in any way influenced by what the CV speakers said at the meeting? It appears to me CV are not yet ready to proceed with another division the outcome being the VTCA can, for the time being at least, still provide a competitive Senior Division. Whether by design or accident, CV, by not now taking another step towards regionalisation, has probably had the effect of making a move by any of the Northern clubs that can meet the subbies 2 turf ground requirement less likely (ie. because the VTCA can still provide them with a competitive Division).
The uncertainty as to future developments is, of course, also a relevant issue, but the subbies exec appear as resolute today as ever to oppose CV's plans and appear to have the support of the clubs. Seems to me that is a tough nut to crack in the absence of behind-the-scenes negotiations to arrive at a compromise.

You posted Tony Dodemaide, et al, spoke well at the VTCA meeting but you did not advise what they said. As you seem so confident ''all will be one before long'', I ask is your view in any way influenced by what the CV speakers said at the meeting? It appears to me CV are not yet ready to proceed with another division the outcome being the VTCA can, for the time being at least, still provide a competitive Senior Division. Whether by design or accident, CV, by not now taking another step towards regionalisation, has probably had the effect of making a move by any of the Northern clubs that can meet the subbies 2 turf ground requirement less likely (ie. because the VTCA can still provide them with a competitive Division).
The uncertainty as to future developments is, of course, also a relevant issue, but the subbies exec appear as resolute today as ever to oppose CV's plans and appear to have the support of the clubs. Seems to me that is a tough nut to crack in the absence of behind-the-scenes negotiations to arrive at a compromise.
No they're not Westy they are now finally in proper discussions, while still trying to get a northern VTCA team in the Subbies. Maybe if they had a promotion/relegation system in place before it would have been a healthier competition. The top level is sensational, but drops away badly in the bottom half.

No they're not Westy they are now finally in proper discussions, while still trying to get a northern VTCA team in the Subbies. Maybe if they had a promotion/relegation system in place before it would have been a healthier competition. The top level is sensational, but drops away badly in the bottom half.

If you are not on a CV retainer to pump up the regional concept then you are definitely the number one cheerleader!

The health of subbies? 28 clubs with 4 teams each, show me another comp in Australia where there are more than 28 clubs with at least 4 teams?

As for promotion/relegation, hows that been working out for VTCA Senior Div? Basically no-one gets promoted to Senior and wins a flag. Maybe once in the last 40 years? I'm not an expert on the VTCA but haven't YCCC won 9 of the last 11 flags? Wow, that comp is something special, we should all be following that model!!!

So, my take on the CV comp is still that CV need subbies to make it work, but subbies don't need to be in the CV comp.

If South Caulfield play SE CV comp, the comp will be a playoff for 2nd, they will win the flag every year. YCCC would do the same in a stand alone West Comp, christ they dominate Senior, how will they go with 3/4 of their best competitors missing? It will be embarassing. I don't know much about the North group of the VTCA but again, without YCCC, SCCC etc, the best clubs from Senior Div will be hard to beat. Without Subbies clubs, these 3 CV regional comps will be mediocre.

You keep saying that 3-4 years they will all be together.

I keep asking, what is CV going to change to convince the VSDCA to come on board because subbies doesn't need CV but CV need subbies.

Adam Yates appointed captain-coach of Altona. Interesting appointment considering RPB finished 3rd last in the 1st XI (from runners-up) and just above Sunshine in the club champs.

If you are not on a CV retainer to pump up the regional concept then you are definitely the number one cheerleader!

The health of subbies? 28 clubs with 4 teams each, show me another comp in Australia where there are more than 28 clubs with at least 4 teams?

As for promotion/relegation, hows that been working out for VTCA Senior Div? Basically no-one gets promoted to Senior and wins a flag. Maybe once in the last 40 years? I'm not an expert on the VTCA but haven't YCCC won 9 of the last 11 flags? Wow, that comp is something special, we should all be following that model!!!

So, my take on the CV comp is still that CV need subbies to make it work, but subbies don't need to be in the CV comp.

If South Caulfield play SE CV comp, the comp will be a playoff for 2nd, they will win the flag every year. YCCC would do the same in a stand alone West Comp, christ they dominate Senior, how will they go with 3/4 of their best competitors missing? It will be embarassing. I don't know much about the North group of the VTCA but again, without YCCC, SCCC etc, the best clubs from Senior Div will be hard to beat. Without Subbies clubs, these 3 CV regional comps will be mediocre.

I keep asking, what is CV going to change to convince the VSDCA to come on board because subbies doesn't need CV but CV need subbies.
You will see, they are now meeting.

You will see, they are now meeting.

Well that was insightful...

Here's my chrystal ball...

Once VTCA North and West split, the CV plan will basically be in place as DDCA and ECA were going to be relatively unchanged anyway.

As suggested by DStrek in an earlier post, Subbies 3's and 4's are placed in their respective CV comps (not drastically different to what is in place today except that crap sides can be graded lower than what is possible under the current structure or clubs can drop back to 3 teams if necessary).

Subbies comp itself remains unchanged at 1's/2's level. Comp rules, history, rivalries, awards etc stay in tact.

Promotion relegation occurs between Subbies and CV regions, top CV NSEW in, bottom subbies NSEW out per region, except for the problem 5th CV region which can be DDCA who don't want to change anything anyway.

Anyone else, other than "Turf Cricket" think it will come together differently?

Well that was insightful...

Here's my chrystal ball...

Once VTCA North and West split, the CV plan will basically be in place as DDCA and ECA were going to be relatively unchanged anyway.

As suggested by DStrek in an earlier post, Subbies 3's and 4's are placed in their respective CV comps (not drastically different to what is in place today except that crap sides can be graded lower than what is possible under the current structure or clubs can drop back to 3 teams if necessary).

Subbies comp itself remains unchanged at 1's/2's level. Comp rules, history, rivalries, awards etc stay in tact.

Promotion relegation occurs between Subbies and CV regions, top CV NSEW in, bottom subbies NSEW out per region, except for the problem 5th CV region which can be DDCA who don't want to change anything anyway.

Anyone else, other than "Turf Cricket" think it will come together differently?
CV have now agreed to only 4 regions, which was a sticking point with Subbies. Your thoughts on 3rs and 4ths are sensible , till it all happens.

South Caulfield should do well because in the proposed cricket Victoria model they are not in the top division.

South Caulfield should do well because in the proposed cricket Victoria model they are not in the top division.

That is correct in relation to when Subbies clubs are included in the CV comp. Only 3 VTCA clubs were placed in the proposed SE top division. I was never all that comfortable with Subbies clubs being given preferential treatment, even Sunshine was given a place in their regions top division. I guess it was to try and "buy" support from subbies clubs. That being said, the gradings were indicative, and I am fairly confident that should the same division get drawn up today, Beauy and Hampton would be replaced by South Caulfield and Bonbeach. Bentleigh would stay purely on signing King.

However, as we know, Subbies clubs aren't in it, and South Caulfield won't drop a game next season if that is where they play.

That is correct in relation to when Subbies clubs are included in the CV comp. Only 3 VTCA clubs were placed in the proposed SE top division. I was never all that comfortable with Subbies clubs being given preferential treatment, even Sunshine was given a place in their regions top division. I guess it was to try and "buy" support from subbies clubs. That being said, the gradings were indicative, and I am fairly confident that should the same division get drawn up today, Beauy and Hampton would be replaced by South Caulfield and Bonbeach. Bentleigh would stay purely on signing King.

However, as we know, Subbies clubs aren't in it, and South Caulfield won't drop a game next season if that is where they play.
I hear Bentleigh have recruited very well and will challenge SC

South Caulfield are being built up like this massive super club??? One premiership in 25 years, 9th and 10th place finishes as little as 5 years ago and now have just the one junior team (under 12 rookies).
Congratulations to them on their recent success but have had to $$recruit$$ pretty hard, I hope it is sustainable.. Just saying

South Caulfield are being built up like this massive super club??? One premiership in 25 years, 9th and 10th place finishes as little as 5 years ago and now have just the one junior team (under 12 rookies).
Congratulations to them on their recent success but have had to $$recruit$$ pretty hard, I hope it is sustainable.. Just saying
You can say what you like, but have a good look at your club. They have the biggest junior program, but they all leave. If it wasn't for the new comp , you'd be in an ordinary place.

Back