Subbies Thread

Over here, my particular concern is the ongoing ability of subbies clubs in non-growth corridors to field 4 open-age teams given there are seems to be insufficient kids coming through to meet the needs of all the clubs in these areas. For that reason, I particularly liked your 'chrystal ball' suggestion (2279, p114), that the subbies lower grades be in the CV regional comp.

I agree, but won't take the credit, it was Dstrek that came up with that suggestion. However, the latest CV proposal makes no mention of retaining any part of Subbies. It just mentions 4 divisions now not 5, nothing in between the CV comps and Premier. The CV proposal is still totally reliant on Subbies participation to give the necessary depth and I would be surprised if Version 2 has too much appeal to the VSDCA.

I agree, but won't take the credit, it was Dstrek that came up with that suggestion. However, the latest CV proposal makes no mention of retaining any part of Subbies. It just mentions 4 divisions now not 5, nothing in between the CV comps and Premier. The CV proposal is still totally reliant on Subbies participation to give the necessary depth and I would be surprised if Version 2 has too much appeal to the VSDCA.

To be fair, the release didn't say that they wouldn't put in a "Senior Div" in SE like they are proposing in NW. Maybe that is how it will end up.

Yes, I remember you suggesting that but I have to say I don't like it. I would prefer to see clubs given the option to reduce their teams number to 3 rather than combine North and West. Surely with the VTCA & VSDCA combined there are enough clubs for separate divisions. Then you consider the travel implications for this, Melton or Werribee to Ivanhoe or PV...

Who is being pandered to here? Is it the VTCA being rewarded for giving up their South division? Or is it the DDCA who were the first come out and say "we don't like the CV review and we won't be changing"?

To me, the DDCA are the issue. Their comp will be essentially unchanged, and they add Noble and Endeavour to their pool of clubs. Play on.

That leaves Croydon, Bayswater, Box Hill, Balwyn, and Kew headed to the ECA. Most of the South Group go to the CV comp. Question marks exist over Ivanhoe (probably to the CV NW but they may prefer ECA), Malvern (Stonnington) and the Monash clubs, Oakleigh and Mt Waverley, which are Inner SE CV aligned. None would want to be in the DDCA. The VSDCA South and East Groups clearly have the most to lose under this Version 2.
The VTCA never gave up the South, the South left due to an incompetent administration and that will be the reason the North and West leave.

The VTCA never gave up the South, the South left due to an incompetent administration and that will be the reason the North and West leave.

Don't disagree with you. The idea of a "Super League" works well for a combined NW, it's basically what the VTCA looks like today plus, hypothetically, the addition of the cream of Subbies clubs in those regions, a significant pool of quality clubs.

Problem for CV is, given there are a further 3 proposed regions, that a SE Super League looks like the DDCA today plus, hypothetically, a couple of subbies clubs that I suspect wouldn't want to be part of that comp. It's not very "Super". Perhaps they should consider a South/South East/East "Super League" that sits above the other 3 CV regions, with 3rd XI's (maybe even 2nd XI's too) and lower playing in the other 3 CV regional comps.

Don't disagree with you. The idea of a "Super League" works well for a combined NW, it's basically what the VTCA looks like today plus, hypothetically, the addition of the cream of Subbies clubs in those regions, a significant pool of quality clubs.

Problem for CV is, given there are a further 3 proposed regions, that a SE Super League looks like the DDCA today plus, hypothetically, a couple of subbies clubs that I suspect wouldn't want to be part of that comp. It's not very "Super". Perhaps they should consider a South/South East/East "Super League" that sits above the other 3 CV regions, with 3rd XI's (maybe even 2nd XI's too) and lower playing in the other 3 CV regional comps.

I agree that the NW for now is basically what the VTCA looks like today. Now that the VTCA's Senior Division has been reduced to 8 teams I think it reasonable to ask if some of them may be attracted to replacing Sunshine notwithstanding the VTCA's Ists and 2nds fixture has been issued. Did these clubs know of Sunshine's withdrawal before they recommitted to the VTCA for the following season? Turf Cricket seems to have his ear close to the ground on VTCA clubs in the north. Perhaps he may be able to provide some insight on this matter.

Why would they want to do this? What you're advocating here is to essentially rename the Subbies in the South East.

Cricket Victoria is looking to do away with this concept not further entrench it. If people want to test themselves in a "Super League", they can go and test themselves at Premier level. The rest is local cricket. Obviously very strong clubs like Oakleigh and Caulfield will dominate in the new set up, but they do now.

Why would they want to do this? What you're advocating here is to essentially rename the Subbies in the South East.

Cricket Victoria is looking to do away with this concept not further entrench it. If people want to test themselves in a "Super League", they can go and test themselves at Premier level. The rest is local cricket. Obviously very strong clubs like Oakleigh and Caulfield will dominate in the new set up, but they do now.

Actually, no. The Super League concept isn't mine, it is what CV have just announced for the new combined NW region. Basically it is the current VTCA Senior Div plus an influx of Subbies Clubs voted on and agreed to by the VSDCA and VTCA. It's CV's vision for NW, not mine.

My point is, that works well for NW, altough personally I think the regions are big enough to have their own regions. My main point is, the remaining 3 regions, are compromised by the NW aggregation leaving weaker comps, especially the DDCA, and copying what CV are proposing in the NW would be a solution to the problem it has created in the SE. Another solution would be just leave the DDCA as it is, they never wanted to be a part of the restructure anyway, and have a SE Super league matching the NW. As I said previously, CV changing the number of regions from 5 to 4 is a game changer.

Geographically, Taylors Lakes is probably preferable to Strathmore which is pretty close to St Bernards, but on the other hand Strathmore is in Senior Division. Both worthy contenders -- pity they can't both be accepted. In future, I suggest non-performing subbies clubs over here had better watch their step given a number of VTCA clubs appear ripe for the picking.

Back