Subbies Thread

It might have something to do with Plenty Valley doing the ring around just after their season fell apart after 20 or so overs in the GF.
Have heard they approached a few people to take over the captaining role whilst Mitchell (who was still under the impression that his position was fine) was unaware of this happening.
He caught wind of it and proceeded to look elsewhere.
Quite poor from PV if you ask me

Interesting. PV certainly moved fast after the GF. Thorne by a mile Friday night. Rummans didn't take enough votes off him.

I've gone round-by-round votes for the Val Holten Medal for some of the favourites and it looks like this:

J.Thorne 22
Y.Kumara 19
M.Love 14
B.Erasmus 14
R.Bird 12

I'll go through the rest of the contenders tomorrow, but looks like B2B.

Interesting. PV certainly moved fast after the GF. Thorne by a mile Friday night. Rummans didn't take enough votes off him.

Was Mitchell well liked at PV? They obviously didn't think he was the right man for the job if they're looking the day after for a replacement.

Comparing Kumara and Thorne, I still have Yoshan beating Thorne comfortably... Lots of standout games for him, whereas Thorne looks to have been less impactful. Know that is hard to say about a bloke who made 700 runs and took 40 wickets but he did make nearly 200 of those runs in the finals which obviously aren't considered for voting.

Was Mitchell well liked at PV? They obviously didn't think he was the right man for the job if they're looking the day after for a replacement. QUOTE]

Considering the endorsement given by sheedy a few years ago that Mitchell was going to be the leading them into the premier cricket ranks, I would have thought he was the right man for the job.

Whether he was liked or not, I can't say but not every captain is liked within a club. His record was very good whilst in charge.

If Hewatt is coaching and playing ones, I would have thought he would be captain.

Comparing Kumara and Thorne, I still have Yoshan beating Thorne comfortably... Lots of standout games for him, whereas Thorne looks to have been less impactful. Know that is hard to say about a bloke who made 700 runs and took 40 wickets but he did make nearly 200 of those runs in the finals which obviously aren't considered for voting.

You need to look at it round-by-round, if a player takes 4 wickets and makes a fifty, but two others in the same game make hundreds, and one other takes 7fa, then the first player scores 0 votes. It's the anomaly of the 3, 2, 1 system - but usually rewards the most outstanding, rather than consistent.
I've noted that Thorne often batted well or bowled well, rather than both in the same game, which gives him a wider spread of games to poll in than Kumara who often dominated with both in the same game.
At the end of the day we have to rely on guessing what umpires are thinking at the time!

You need to look at it round-by-round, if a player takes 4 wickets and makes a fifty, but two others in the same game make hundreds, and one other takes 7fa, then the first player scores 0 votes. It's the anomaly of the 3, 2, 1 system - but usually rewards the most outstanding, rather than consistent.
I've noted that Thorne often batted well or bowled well, rather than both in the same game, which gives him a wider spread of games to poll in than Kumara who often dominated with both in the same game.
At the end of the day we have to rely on guessing what umpires are thinking at the time!

Can anybody guess what umpires are thinking!?

I'm backing Thorne by a mile.

Can anybody guess what umpires are thinking!?

I'm backing Thorne by a mile.

Very hard to rank whether 4 wickets and a fifty is more outstanding than a hundred or a 7fa without being there on the game to judge ebs and flows in a game and to assess a players impact. I guess we will find out in a days time. Should be a great night

Very hard to rank whether 4 wickets and a fifty is more outstanding than a hundred or a 7fa without being there on the game to judge ebs and flows in a game and to assess a players impact. I guess we will find out in a days time. Should be a great night
I'd be astounded if Lachlan("The Dock Man") Marr from TL didn't poll heavily... His encouragement in the field was 1st class ;)

Always a great night, and fantastic location. Plenty of great awards and extra acknowledgment this year with the top 10 run getters and wicket takers in each grade being recognised on screen, as well as the East/West/South/North group team of the years announced as a pre-cursor to the official TOTY.

Couldn't agree more. I wouldn't expect Peter Lazer to MC again either, I felt sorry for him all night.

Understand people are there for a good time but it is important to be respectful.

Both comments regarding Lazar and Hogg are correct.

Up to the senior members of each Club to show some leadership.

Overall though another great night with deserving winners.

Kelliher gone from Coburg and is now at Kew
Murphy resigned from Captain Coach at Balwyn - director of coaching at Brunswick
Massive loss for the Tigers that is.

Kelliher to Kew is a big move but gee wiz, Murphy to Brunswick is massive.

Gun player Murphy but seems very strange for the Premiership winning Captain/Coach to swap to a rival Club.

Brunswick plenty of firepower with McKay, Mayne, Sandars, Fort and now Murphy.

Kelliher to Kew is a big move but gee wiz, Murphy to Brunswick is massive.

Gun player Murphy but seems very strange for the Premiership winning Captain/Coach to swap to a rival Club.

Brunswick plenty of firepower with McKay, Mayne, Sandars, Fort and now Murphy.

Kelliher is very good mates with Chris Weeks so it's most likely two mates wanting to finish their cricketing years together.

As for Murphy, from the leader article, it seems that he is about to have a family so that would be a massive commitment with a newborn and coaching/captaining a team so can understand the move to just playing.

Great get for the Wicks who can well and truly put themselves up for contention comes finals time.

Kelliher is very good mates with Chris Weeks so it's most likely two mates wanting to finish their cricketing years together.

As for Murphy, from the leader article, it seems that he is about to have a family so that would be a massive commitment with a newborn and coaching/captaining a team so can understand the move to just playing.

Great get for the Wicks who can well and truly put themselves up for contention comes finals time.

Ha! You reckon Balwyn didn't want him as just a player? Something's not right there. Interesting seeing a few 4 point players moving around.

Back