Subbies Thread

So CV have finally acknowledged that they did hold their AGM. I got dizzy reading the spin in their AGM summary. Even though there was only one casualty, think the the way they go about things from here on will be a little different.

I would like ppl's opinions on the standard of the lower grades (3rds/4th) in this comp as most talk centres around 1st grade. I am thinking of playing subbies this year, is it worth playing here or am i better of playing higher for my local club.

I would like ppl's opinions on the standard of the lower grades (3rds/4th) in this comp as most talk centres around 1st grade. I am thinking of playing subbies this year, is it worth playing here or am i better of playing higher for my local club.

Play higher at your local club, 3's/4s at subbies level is similar standard but you will play on rubbish grounds and uncovered wickets

It depends om what you are looking for with your cricket. There are some really good grounds and some great clubs to play for.
This is a good time of the year to go to training and form your own opinion

The pitch down at Hogans Road Reserve in Hoppers Crossing looks likely a very long shot if not next to absolute no chance of their wicket getting up for next week's start to the season (Saturday October 7th) but were hoping that it should be right for the following week (Saturday October 14th) for opening round as things currently stand.

PS: Who else in the VSDCA competition are likely to even get their wickets up in-time for the start of the new season next week on the opening weekend of the 2017/18 season as things currently do stand week out from the beginning to the new season.

The pitch down at Hogans Road Reserve in Hoppers Crossing looks likely a very long shot if not next to absolute no chance of their wicket getting up for next week's start to the season (Saturday October 7th) but were hoping that it should be right for the following week (Saturday October 14th) for opening round as things currently stand.

PS: Who else in the VSDCA competition are likely to even get their wickets up in-time for the start of the new season next week on the opening weekend of the 2017/18 season as things currently do stand week out from the beginning to the new season.

Pre-season renovation may not occur until mid September if the footy club has participated in the finals. For tables that have been converted to drought-tolerant grass there is the added difficulty the grass cover, generally santa ana, is still in dormancy. Some curators attempt to overcome this problem by over-sowing the outer extremities of their table with cool-season grass using these areas for early-in-the-season pitches. There is also no uniformity in the level of municipal council support. Some are very supportive, but some do not even supply the black soil for the essential top-dressing following football-related damage.
I can understand cricket associations not wishing to pressure municipal councils to do more, particularly since the rate caps imposed by the state government. There is also the issue of the level of irrigation required. Some councils have installed remote council-controlled dedicated pitch table in-ground systems limiting pitch irrigation to once-weekly, irrigation thereafter by the curator being restricted to that by hand-held hose of the pitch currently in the course of preparation.

CSB has postponed the first week. The only Subbies wicket in GE that might be a chance is Caulfield.

if we don't try to play next week, we should not ever fixture games for the first weekend in October ever again.
The weather has been great for the last week and the forecast is just as good this week plus it was a dry winter.
The grounds that are available should be able to play and the ones that can't can play a one day game the following week

if we don't try to play next week, we should not ever fixture games for the first weekend in October ever again.
The weather has been great for the last week and the forecast is just as good this week plus it was a dry winter.
The grounds that are available should be able to play and the ones that can't can play a one day game the following week
It was a dry winter, but when the decks were handed over from footy there were constant showers. Some people without any knowledge of the renovation of wickets just think it happens.

It was a dry winter, but when the decks were handed over from footy there were constant showers. Some people without any knowledge of the renovation of wickets just think it happens.[/
My table was so severely damaged by 2 finals matches on the one day following heavy rain that it rendered irrelevant the fact it was a dry winter. The remedial work was, first, the entire table had to be cross-rolled whilst the pitch soil was still plastic, but dry enough to prevent the roller picking up the soil and, second, cross-hatch scarification of the entire table. Only then was it in a fit state for, third, top-dressing of the entire table with laser level equipment to re-establish a level surface, and fourth, over-sowing and fertilization followed by regular irrigation until the seed germinates. I am convinced many persons on this site have not the faintest idea of what is entailed in pre-season pitch renovation despite their having played turf cricket for many seasons.

Back