Subbies Thread

Geez Brun$wick will be right on 22 points allocated to them

Murphy - 4 points
Pom - 3 Points
Pom - 3 points
Sanders - 2 points
Fort - 3 points

No wonder they were massively upset that the league originally had the points system at 20.

The question should be, which 4 are getting paid.

Sanders
Mckay
Murphy
Fort

This was the reason the points system was to brought in, to stop the richer clubs loaded up on players, but the points allowance is so large that it still allowed already strong clubs to bring in 2 big fish in one season. Pointless exercise bringing in the points, doesn't encourage any of the (strong) clubs to invest in home grown players, would not be surprised if some clubs who aren't are as financially strong and are sick of caulfield, bruncwick etc rorting the system, opt to move to cricket victoria comp.

Which 2 are getting paid?

I don't understand your question given there are no restrictions on player payments under the points system. Yes, it is more transparent than the former requirements and, as pointed out by taga, is capable of being tweaked in an attempt to level the playing field between the ''haves and the ''have not's''.
I would like clarification from taga on what he means by clubs opting to move to a CV comp. Is it because he feels a large regional competition such as proposed by the CV model would provide sufficient divisions to allow clubs to compete in a division containing clubs on much the same level as themselves?

I don't understand your question given there are no restrictions on player payments under the points system. Yes, it is more transparent than the former requirements and, as pointed out by taga, is capable of being tweaked in an attempt to level the playing field between the ''haves and the ''have not's''.
I would like clarification from taga on what he means by clubs opting to move to a CV comp. Is it because he feels a large regional competition such as proposed by the CV model would provide sufficient divisions to allow clubs to compete in a division containing clubs on much the same level as themselves?

W westland I think a lot of clubs saw salvation in the points system to help even the competition out at the end of last season, but for the association to make the points allowance so large so that it still allows clubs to recruit the big fish would have been quite disheartening. From all reports the Cricket Victoria comp is extremely well run, and any irks the weaker/not as rich subbies clubs may have about the travel or the relevancy about the comp may be enlarged due to this. Personally I hope no subbies clubs leave the association, but I do hear rumblings

W westland I think a lot of clubs saw salvation in the points system to help even the competition out at the end of last season, but for the association to make the points allowance so large so that it still allows clubs to recruit the big fish would have been quite disheartening. From all reports the Cricket Victoria comp is extremely well run, and any irks the weaker/not as rich subbies clubs may have about the travel or the relevancy about the comp may be enlarged due to this. Personally I hope no subbies clubs leave the association, but I do hear rumblings

taga there has already been two clubs recently leave subbies as their respective committees felt that the VTCA was a better fit for their clubs at that time. Those clubs were replaced by new clubs keen to test themselves in the subbies format. There is every prospect that other clubs could leave although I know one of the currently weaker clubs is adamant about it sticking it out in Subbies and I wish them well.

Give the points system some time. It's better than the unenforceable paid player rule. I think we all agreed at the time that the initial points allocation is too high and everyone expects that to be reduced in 18/19 and so on down to a level that truly rewards clubs for developing juniors and stops a club importing multiple players in a single go. That is a good thing.

Unfortunately the points system stops local unpaid players from moving clubs. Particularly the guys who play 5 or 6 1st XI games a year. Who's going to "waste" points on them?

Unfortunately the points system stops local unpaid players from moving clubs. Particularly the guys who play 5 or 6 1st XI games a year. Who's going to "waste" points on them?

I guess what you say may be relevant for subbies clubs that are in the fortunate position of consistently being at or near the maximum points cap. It's too early to know the practical outworking of the point you make. If I was a borderline 1st XI player at my existing club I think I would be seeking out a club that I considered would give me a better chance of consistently being selected in their 1st XI. That club is unlikely to be struggling to stay under the points cap.

VENUE UPDATE - Hoppers Crossing v Plenty Valley:
I can confirm tonight Hoppers Crossing v Plenty Valley (VSDCA North/West group) round 1 fixture now has been officially moved to Plenty Valley as the Hoppers Crossing home venue Hogans Road Reserve was not even close to getting up and be ready for this week's opening round fixture thus the 1st XI & 3rd XI will now also be played at Plenty Valley's home grounds this weekend.

VENUE UPDATE - Hoppers Crossing v Plenty Valley:
I can confirm tonight Hoppers Crossing v Plenty Valley (VSDCA North/West group) round 1 fixture now has been officially moved to Plenty Valley as the Hoppers Crossing home venue Hogans Road Reserve was not even close to getting up and be ready for this week's opening round fixture thus the 1st XI & 3rd XI will now also be played at Plenty Valley's home grounds this weekend.

Was the pre-season renovation delayed due to football finals commitments or for some other reason? I am always interested in info related to cricket pitch curating.

Big score by Brunswick, look like the side to beat in the North/West Competition.

Formidable batting line up, bowling stocks are strong, it's only early in the piece but it's hard to see them losing a game

Would hate to come up against them after xmas when the decks will be a lot flatter than what they are in October.

South/East looks quite even and could be about 8-10 teams vying for the top 6.

Formidable batting line up, bowling stocks are strong, it's only early in the piece but it's hard to see them losing a game

Would hate to come up against them after xmas when the decks will be a lot flatter than what they are in October.

South/East looks quite even and could be about 8-10 teams vying for the top 6.

Brunswick/Williamstown/Kew the teams to beat

Yarraville/PV/Melton/Werribee next best

Back