TALL TALES

Jake well knew where they'd stashed all the Harlots regalia in the deserted barn Flasher had suggested.
Jake and Molly each rode there one morning and found all undisturbed.
"What attire doth thee Lady Molly wish to to adorn thyself with? Is that a peacock feather, nice. It'd go well in that hat you've donned. I found these shoe buckles too ye'd be hankering over. Ornate and Silver too, if petite. There ye go Molly, they suit ye and better than I could ever fashion.
We'd not had time to sift through this stuff after robbing those Scarlett women, now scurried back to the mean streets of London.
After our daring heist we dumped our Booty hastily here on Flasher's instruction and being in a flustering mood we were keen to be gone back to our cold beds.
I like this deep purple cloak with the tassels. Here's some jewellry too, with some thin gold and silver. Showy stuff I guess.
Oh, here's a wig. Horse hair but I'll have it."

Last edited:
Reverand Flasher in his new aristocrat persona as French Count Alfonse de Marigny. About as dandy as you can get. If his parishioners could see him what a hoot they would have.
1687479212140.png

Last edited:
The ball was 2 nights away, all the outfits had been altered and disguised, Mollys was hanging up on a nail in her bedroom, she'd covered it up with an old sack. She wanted to draw attention so had altered the neckline of her dress so it was low cut. She had silk stockings to go with her outfit, Flasher got them for her, probably stole them from one of the women he was always flirting with.......

Jake hid his fancy clothes in his horse's stall ready to be donned when they headed off to the Ball. As the Counts personal valet Louis Perronet Jake cut a fine figure and his cane was also a disguised long stiletto.

1687482368864.png

The day of the big ball heist came with Flasher donning his Count Alfonse garb, remembering to pack his snuff box and several scented kerchieves. He had also been practicing his dandy dialect, with special attention on the lisping. The three mounted their horses and set off for their destination when Jake said something that sent shivers up Flasher's spine 'As we are dressed like toffs hope we are not robbed too as we are not the only ones working this county. Still we are armed, I with my concealed stilletto'', with Molly adding, ''and my deringer hidden in my bodice.''

Last edited:
Molly felt uncomfortable in her outfit, she wasn't used to dressing up like this but she wanted to enjoy it while it lasted.
She was impressed with how her guys were turned out, they both looked very dashing.
Molly had her mask in her bag, she added a few extra feathers on it and a fake diamond right in the middle, her boys would recognise her by the fake diamond once they were inside the venue....

Excuses made as needed, and a quick detour made to Flasher's old barn, both we and our mounts were powdered, cloaked, and leather shoe shod.

Jake insisted in bringing his giant dog Brutus to scout ahead and to watch the three horses we of Molly's Marauders Mob rode.
Just as well, as just after Sunset, Brutus stopped in his tracks and emitted a low growl. Jake pulled out his Blunderbuss and riding forward called out "Step away or die by bullet or sharp steel you curs" called Jake holding up his polished Blunderbuss as Brutus let out a deep threatening growl..." A rustle in the hedgerow cocked Brutus' head and ears in its direction, followed by Molly's Bull's eye lantern lighting up the three vagabonds intent of a mischief upon us. One short sword, one axe, one longsword, daggers, leather armour,

With fine and eloquent words our Pastor Flasher called upon them to renounce their evil ways or die the Eternal Death, ... Forever to the ends of Eternity! Forever! And Ever!
For colour Molly swapped the lens of her Bullseye Lantern to another which she rotated by a small lever giving a kaleidoscopic hypnotismic effect .... Even Brutus jumped at that commotion of light as did Jake which made Molly laugh.
"AND EVER!", shouted Flash.

The Vagabonds slunk back into the shadows and those shadows were gently tossed vitals of fresh breads, dried meat, coppers and the odd thruppence. Also kind Christian words.
We passed quietly in peace.

Arriving at the Mansion of Lord Bothersworth at a respectively late and busy time we used the confusion to tie up our horses discreetly, just out of sight, with dog Brutus guarding them.
Footmen, Servants, Carriages, Horse men, Guests, Masks, Ostrich Feathers, Loud voices, .... made it easy to blend in....

Last edited:
With all that commotion we Mollys Masked Marauders had no trouble making our way into Bothersworth Manor where we were greeted by a short rotund masked man, the pompous Lord Bothersworth who once he learned from a lisping Flasher that we were the children of the aristocratic De Marigny French family smiled broadly, his double chins wobbling, then ushered us into a large oval shaped lavish ball room where couples in their finest attire were already dancing to the mellow sounds of a four person chamber string quartet.

Last edited:
Jake as Louis Perronet bowed to Lord Bothersworth and took his place behind as Flasher and Molly played their parts as the children of the aristocratic De Marigny French family. Namely Count Alfonse de Marigny and his sister Josephine de Marigny. Jake was happy not to speak but took a good look at the lavish surrounds and all about it.
The dancers were waltzing to a piece of Bach's played by a small orchestra. Almost all eyes watched the grand display of sound, motion and colour. Not all though, a small group of wealthy looking men were in a tight knot of hushed conversation with valets forming a perimeter about their Masters, it seemed.

A roast pig with an apple in its mouth with a Cook carving and serving it from his buffet, with all sorts of delicacies. The plates and cutlery looked like silver. A wigged and uniformed servant offered us crystal glasses of fine wine. Jake took two but his stomach was growling with the smell of delicious Roast pork. Even crackling! Strawberries and iced cinnamon cream too, .... with a some green Liqueur ?
"My Lord and Lady" said Jake quietly and quickly to Flasher and Molly, "allow me to make up a buffet dish for you each.... I'll be back in a flash..... very soon. ...très vite... bonne nuit ...

Last edited:
There were numerous seats, tables, servants, all around the perimeter of the dance floor. Flasher and Molly were offered seats at a table with some of the other wealthy looking and well shod guests.
A servant even offered to take Molly's fur coat to the Cloak room.
Shortly Jake returned with two footmen carrying heaped plates of delicious food, and more wine in a crystal decanter.
And the glowing crystal chandeliers ...

Many couples were waltzing now in the popular baroque style to a four person chamber string quartet. Some of Bach's waltzes were being played. Once he'd served his Count and Lady, Jake slipped onto the back bench with two silver plates heaped high with food. Shaved truffle slices and ham a favourite. He nodded to another valet on the bench, put him finger to his lips and gave him a share of the food.
"...too good to be true" thought Jake "it's not silver, just white brass, plates and cutlery, Damn...."

Last edited:
Molly stood proud in her outfit, she felt all eyes were on her, her eyes were darting around at the jewels and fancy cutlery. She strutted into the large hall, swaggering with her chin held high. She knew Jake and Flasher were nearby. She wanted to eat the expensive food that was displayed on huge platters, ham, caviar, chicken, all good quality food unlike the cheap cuts that she was used to buying and haggling for.
She was also making mental notes of the expensive candlesticks and chandeliers, she knew Jake had his contacts waiting to melt them down.....

Flasher had already poked around in one upstairs chest of drawers and helped himself to some loose jewellery before rejoining Molly while Jake stood at the back of the room with the other valets. Shortly after the music and dancing stopped the guests began mingling around the long tables bulging with sumptuous fare, the finest wild game, caviar, ham, turkey while a spit roasted pig was the centre point of each table.
1691018846900.jpeg

Last edited:
Some of the other Valets were working in conjunction with Lord Bothersworth's own staff and it was quite chaotic at times. Seeing how the other Valets helped haphazardly Jake took a fake silver tray with a dozen crystal wine glasses filled with best Champagne, and a top up magnum in the centre of his tray to give the powdered rich gentle folk top ups. Balanced well like a molten metal in a crucible, in his forge, Jake waltzed through the fancy gathering with a steady hand offering the plonk saying 'c'est bon' or 'c'est un beau chat que tu as'.
Nodding to a frazzeled Senior Functionary who nodded back, Jake had picked up a fake silver tray with a dozen fine crystal glasses filled with best Froggy Champagne. Walking deftly about the feasting tables, small groups here and there, huddles of Elder men, servants, valets, muscians on a break, ... Jake offered his flutes of Champagne to all, even to Lord Bothersworth himself. Jake smiled and bowed backwards and went on his merry way disappearing into the giggling throng.

Seeing Countess Josephine de Marigny aka Molly, he offered her a fresh flute of Champagne and whispered his thoughts on what he thought were the best metallic items that were the real deal, not the cutlery or the dishes for sure, cheap white bronze, but certain the Candle sticks are pure Silver! Those Chandeliers would be too messy and too hard to pinch? The glasses and decanters look good though, here's another glass for you m' lady , but I am no judge of crystal, metals I know. 'vous êtes les bienvenus' Jake said saying one of the Froggy phrases Flasher had taught Molly and him.
'C'est bon!' was a good one.
"I bet there's some nice stuff in the Cloak room Molly. Like exotic furs....and fine cloaks, one I saw was Sable I heard a Lady boast about , isn't that expensive? Ermine, Mink ... purses...? Fancy scouting it out?

Oh, here comes your dear Brother, Count Alfonse de Marigny aka our ever humble and ever chaste Reverend Flasher, Molly.
He's smiling like a Cheshire Cat. 'Chat heureux...?'

Last edited:
At the mention of furs Molly couldn't get to the cloakroom quick enough. All her life she'd had woolly shawls and cheap cotton dresses, never had she owned a fur.
Inside the cloakroom she found a fur coat, she tried it on and felt the warmth from it. She stashed it in a sack, along with 2 purses, 2 bags and a cloak made from the finest material she had ever seen.

She made her way back to her men, she knew they'd be just as hungry as she was, so they headed over to the banquet, the finest of foods she'd ever seen, she would have to eat delicately yet she was so hungry she felt like scoffing everything in sight....

All three friends supped like gluttons then Flasher surreptitiously slipped way and headed for the upstairs of the west wing of the obese Lord Bothersome's huge home hoping for richer bounties than his previous venture gave him. When he returned to Molly his pockets were bulging with one diamond/emerald and one diamond/sapphire bracelet, one diamond/ruby necklace , several strings of the finest pearls and an assortment of rings with precious stone inlays, all of which he had found in a locked box in a huge bedroom which he surmised belonged to the lady of the manor. Meanwhile Jake had set out on his own quest for riches and when he returned Mollys Marauders planned to make their getaway....

Last edited:
Feeling his way about in the dimly lit cellars Jake lit a lantern and started rummaging looking in cupboards, drawers, shelves, ... , large wine racks with dusty bottles of old wines and cases of Whiskey, all too heavy but some went into Jake's swag.
One corner cupboard was not so dusty inviting further inspection. Inside it was a heavy metal box with a brass padlock on it. Jake was familiar with locks and used his skeletal key to fiddle it open.
Inside were lots of papers, two bags of coins, one of silver! and one of gold pieces!! Jake put the heavy coin bags into his swag along with the papers and a locked strange wooden box with a tiny lock beyond Jake's skeletal keys. The strange box had a sweet smell to it and was patterned with finely drawn indecipherable runes and scenes inlaid with opals and pearls, and edges of precious metals that all glittered by the light of his lantern. Jake guessed it was something important. Into the swag anyway!:thumbsu:

Back up the stone steps with a weight already on his shoulders Jake picked up a crate of fine Brandies too and then back into the ballroom. Seeing one of Lord Bothersworth's overstretched Senior Functionaries Jake nodded and approached him with a sheepish smile. "Where do these go, Sir?" The stressed functionary nodded towards the drinks table and off Jake went on his merry way.

Back