TALL TALES

Molly kept running her fingers through the fur, it felt so soft and warm. But now wasn't the time to fantasise, they had to get their stolen loot out of sight. Molly also had a sack filled with chicken legs wrapped in newspapers, current cake and scones, that would keep them fed for a few days in their hideout.
She now whispered in a dark corner with her men, they had to decide on when to make a bolt or do they do one last sweep and go for more loot. Maybe quitting while ahead was the better option but she always wanted more and more...

Flasher was a rational man and agreed quitting was the sensible option. I say joined we either return to our normal lives or make a new life in Ireland, be foolhardy to sail for France as our characters were French and the English Runners would have the French gendarmes scouting the country for us. A quick vote....

It was unanimous we were to make a new life in Ireland as wealthy land holders. So Flasher and Molly as the De Marigny siblings made their farewell and excuses to Lord Bothersome telling him a ship was sailing for France in the early morning so they had to make haste as it was a long journey to Dover. Meanwhile Jake stashed the loot into their carriage.
A month later the three along with Jake's family set sail for the green land of Ireland.

The End or is it as there may be another chapter from Molly Marauders at another time.

Last edited:
Jake loved Ireland and had family connections there. He had a large extended family here, and in Ireland. His wife being of Irish stock would be happy to go back to the Emerald Isle and promised to be quiet as she could. "Belfast", she said smiling.
It was a big job to tie up loose ends here quietly and selling the Forge raised a few eyebrows. But Jake and his wife concocted a plausible narrative that took on a life of its own.
Jake's Senior Apprentice Simon quietly bought the forge off Jake at a bargain price, and borrowed the gold from his own Father Old Ned who knew a bargain.

Flasher and Molly had gone ahead leaving a mystery about their departure. Many rumours circulated. The new Sheriff kept his thoughts to himself and still kept asking quiet questions.

The Robbery at Lord Bothersworth's Mansion was still a hot topic with promises of vile retribution if the evil thieves were caught, and hung after gruesome tortures! Jake winced hearing that.

Jake had written a letter of introduction for Flasher and Molly to his older brother Ian who ran a big pub in a fishing port 20 miles south of Belfast. The Old Pier Inn in Donaghadee.

The wealth the trio had stolen was considerable and the coins made gratuities easier to give and use. The furs and Jewellry: Jake took them to London to be passed through many grubby hands, at fair prices only to cover tracks. More coin, and thanks to Flasher's educated eye, several of the papers Jake had stuffed into his swag were promissory notes about debts or something like that. Armed with Flasher's knowledge of such things Jake was able to sell them off for many several hundreds of pounds each.... Paper, worth more than Gold!

Jake and his wife, now privy to some detail of the true tale of things, with its undercurrents of Altruism, ... would love to return back to Ireland, Ulster, especially to Bangor, ..., and set up an Orphanage, a School, a Hospital, ... , and a new Church, . just 6 miles north of Donaghadee and 14 miles south of Belfast. She and Jake had family and connections all about there.
On a clear day one could just see Scotland from atop the Moat Castle in Donaghadee which was a good walk there and back before a hot butter fried breakfast of sausages, mushrooms, black pudding, eggs, tomatoes, toast, more butter, pots of tea, salt, kippers, pepper, ... but no extra butter on the toast to stay healthy....!

Well, that was the plan.

Last edited:
I think so Craig, best it's over with all the characters' baggage, especially mine.

I'm game for a new story, a fresh start. Fresh baggage.

Thank you and Jess for it all, I really enjoy the writing, putting my mind into a character's. I love peppering the background with nuances hither and thither.

A new start is fine by me. Ireland sounds great too as that's my roots, born n bred and then fled to Oz. Green mother and Orange Dad running a big pub just 20 miles south of Belfast in Donaghadee, in the Old Pier Inn. Sixties stuff but I have many Irish family contacts still, much more than in my Dad's English side.

I'm easy about a story line but my own Ireland slipped back into turbulent times about 1969. IRA, smuggling, .... that's perhaps too serious though. But Ireland was always on and off fighting their cursed hell bound English Oppressors..., that could be fun. It flowed over into earlyish Aussie Colonial days, likewise to the US. The unsong economic slaves were the cheap and expendable Irish less cared for than a slave!

Many dirt poor Irish fled Ireland to greener pastures in the US and to Australia, perhaps the Lucky ones given the Potato famine ~1850's, a time of early industrialisation ... My old Mum, born 1915, told me 3 of her great, great Uncles pushed their mining wheelbarrows ~ 600k East of Perth to the gold fields about Kalgoorlie .

I think so Craig, best it's over with all the characters' baggage, especially mine.

I'm game for a new story, a fresh start. Fresh baggage.

Thank you and Jess for it all, I really enjoy the writing, putting my mind into a character's. I love peppering the background with nuances hither and thither.

A new start is fine by me. Ireland sounds great too as that's my roots, born n bred and then fled to Oz. Green mother and Orange Dad running a big pub just 20 miles south of Belfast in Donaghadee, in the Old Pier Inn. Sixties stuff but I have many Irish family contacts still, much more than in my Dad's English side.

I'm easy about a story line but my own Ireland slipped back into turbulent times about 1969. IRA, smuggling, .... that's perhaps too serious though. But Ireland was always on and off fighting their cursed hell bound English Oppressors..., that could be fun. It flowed over into earlyish Aussie Colonial days, likewise to the US. The unsong economic slaves were the cheap and expendable Irish less cared for than a slave!

Many dirt poor Irish fled Ireland to greener pastures in the US and to Australia, perhaps the Lucky ones given the Potato famine ~1850's, a time of early industrialisation ... My old Mum, born 1915, told me 3 of her great, great Uncles pushed their mining wheelbarrows ~ 600k East of Perth to the gold fields about Kalgoorlie .
I have Irish family too, still got some over there. They are on my dads side of the family.
Let's get the new story started then guys! 😍

we were to make a new life in Ireland as wealthy land holders.
This may be a way to please everyone. We can be descendants of Molly, Flasher and Jake who have encounters with the strange, fascinating and sometimes evil folklore of Ireland.

As long as I can be Bridie, an orphan who has to look after her young brother after her father is killed by moneylenders 😮

Whatever we're each comfortable with and I'm happy to vaguely play a descendant of Jake's from the 1750's to now the 1850's with this new Irish story, set at the worst of times in 1850 when the great potato famine was at its peak. Blight upon a monoculture... Spuds!
Hard Times, they come again, and again...

I'd like to play a 24yo swarthy dark haired Irishman, with the Spanish Amanda gene named Jack Bacon.
His farther and grandfather run the big family Smithy business in Belfast passed down through the generations. Techniques for fine Smithery are cutting edge technology nowadays, like those American repeating rifles and how they set the spiraling bores riflings? ...
Jack has been sent South down to Dublin as a way to scope out the Southerners Smitheries ... and possible business ventures. Politics, ... Spies for hire, ... His purse is as large as needed.
And to look at a new type of lathe, and weapons manufacturers, what ever... Jack had coin enough to buy samples and test them out.
His grandfather encouraged a degree of guile and ways to be discreet, what with all the well fed English soldiers about. Jack had got friendly with English soldiers. Cheap rates, cheap nags. in Jacks shadows lurked a very large, dark brown shaggy Irish Wolfhound called Rufus.
Riding through the outskirts of Dublin, and passing into its smoggy pale, the stench was unbearable, muddy roads, muddy children, muddy piggeries, and pens, a stench so rancid most wore kerchiefs.

It was a grim task with so many starving. Ulster and Belfast was as bad.
Jack rode alone now headed into the smoky pall below cloaking the city of Dublin.

No one likes my idea of our characters encountering some of Irelands folklore, fairies, banshees, leprechauns etc. I know I have a bizarre imagination. How about we are three 30 something friends with everyday lives living in Dublin. We go on holiday with or without our families and stay at a isolated country hotel and encounter one or all three of those legendary creatures of folklore.

Hi there Craig, I "do" like your idea of the Irish folklore and magical beings. Sorry I wasn't more overt about that previously. Likewise, I'd forgotten old Jake's surname and other details... he was a Smith of renown and this Jack Bacon is a 4th gen ancestor of him, in my mind anyway, ...

My old Mum and Dad ran a pub in Donaghadee, County Down, Ulster that was built over 4 centuries ago, now rows of yuppy town houses... My old Mum was humoured with tales of the spirits and mythical things, as well as being a devote Catholic who pushed me into being an alter boy! , .... with hopes as youngest son of 5 kids I'd go into the priesthood. Latin was my best subject too at Saint Patrick's Grammar school in Knock, Belfast, Ulster, UK.
Then to the wild lands of Oztrailia ....

My Mum had a foot in two camps of spiritual theology and was savvy enough to belittle each equally, but loved the colour of such archetypes. She jested about reading the tea leaves, black cats, walking under ladders, .... and seriously ghosts.
Both my Mum and I reckoned we saw the same ghost in an old home we lived in when I was about 5. And another one years later she saw one in our old pub.
I used to run through such areas, especilly past the town's grave yard...at night...
Anyway, I would love to see nuances of magic and strange little folk in our story, truly, I'd love it but see it as perhaps an undercurrent in the bigger story of our Ireland in 1850. The Oppression by the English, and the Potato famine.... and seeing America was at war with itself... One of us could have ties and skills to the mystical in whatever way, make it up... 🧙‍♂️🧚‍♀️🧞‍♂️🤡
Another thought is the Potcheen trade and production in Stills hidden in the hills.

Last edited:
Looks like our posts are tripping over themselves Craig.
I'm happy to go with three friends staying at an isolated country hotel with strange beings.

No one likes my idea of our characters encountering some of Irelands folklore, fairies, banshees, leprechauns etc. I know I have a bizarre imagination. How about we are three 30 something friends with everyday lives living in Dublin. We go on holiday with or without our families and stay at a isolated country hotel and encounter one or all three of those legendary creatures of folklore.

My old Mum and Dad ran a pub in Donaghadee, County Down,
Then we three long time friends invest in a 400 year old country pub which is befriended by a friendly spook and strange beings. We need Jessicas approval first Terry as she has a completely different narrative.

I'm easy about the narrative Craig,

Ireland sounds great but about what time?
ie: from past comments I was thinking about 1850's, a hundred years after Flash, Molly and Jake ... ?
Politics, Religion, Mystical happenings, Famine, ... and a youngish Queen Victoria with a vibrant Empire champing at the bit to colour the global map Red.

The 1850's is an interesting time historically with major happenings like the American civil war and the Irish Potato famine falling into the awlful pitfall disaster of monocultural practices. Spuds!

The 1850's also saw science, engineering, medicine, human rights, all headed in an upward trending flux. Most notably the Railway lines and Steam Engines endemic and ubiquitous throughout Queen Victoria's great British Empire, especially those having the papist rebellious Irish still underfoot after eight centuries at least. They don't seem to understand that they are a beaten people.

Last edited:
Back