Test XI Selection Thread

I honestly think they would be silly to play 2 spinners.... Australia dont have the quality spin bowling options that England did, and to take two inexperienced spinners to the subcontinent, and play them against subcontinental players (supposedly the best players of spin) would be suicide in my eyes. Our strength is in our fast men, if they cannot take the necessary wickets than the tour is as good as lost.

I would like to see some genuine medium bowlers taken to india for the slower pitches in place of additional spinners, someone like Copland, is he still around? Injured perhaps?

@zack - In regards to sids, he has gone from an aggresor, to a piechucker, to a consistant line/length bowler that can take the odd wicket. I see him as someone you bowl to tie down one end, which is how I see Bird and Watson, only Bird swings the ball, and Watson gets more seam movement. In all, I just dont have a place in my starting 11 for Siddle, my number three defensive seamer.
-In regards to Henriques, for Henriques to get a game Australia would need to have their genuine all-rounder injured or forced to give up a certain discipline ie. Bat or Bowl correct?????? Excuse the aggresive use of the question mark.... Watson is far from a batsman, and surely if Henriques is to get a chance now is the time??????
-In regards to Mr Ed, in my eyes he is a filler opener, I agree that he could possibly do well given enough chances however I feel there are others ahead of him in terms of ability and in the selectors eyes.

@mugshot - G'day mate, good to finally find a place I can rant on about cricket without being told to shut it... although im guessing that could possibly happen on here :p

The problem with that is that India doesn't suit fast bowling and regardless they will prepare raging turners (as they did for England) for their own bowlers. Australia should and will take 2 spin bowlers, Lyon will really have to step up and Beer should be suited to bowling in India with his height, hopefully will get a few explode of the pitch like Monty did for the Poms.

Siddle will be the perfect 'workhorse' fast man for India, the key in many ways is if Watson is able to bowl which would give the team the luxury of a 3rd seamer whilst also playing 2 spinners.

I hope Beer doesn't bowl his in swingers like he does in the BBL. I would much rather him spin the ball than bowl like a slow medium pacer. His in swingers might be a good change up ball, but on turning pitches in India (if he plays) he should be looking to turn the ball.

I hope Watson does continue to bowl. He bowls a good line and length and bogs down batsman, which can result in him taking wickets. Maybe he should just stick to playing tests and avoid playing the shorter forms of the game, like Peter Siddle does. This could be the thing that stops him getting injured again. He is a top class all rounder.

I'd be quite sickened if Moises got a gig with the test team. I like watching him bat but he's been a non-producer for years.

About the only thing I'd be pleased about is that it would mean that Christian wouldn't be in the frame.

Also personally I think wade is a better option than Hardin because he has the ability to stick around and make a patient ton but he can also be a great hitter. I think Haddin is limited to a quick half century and only occasionally converts

Also personally I think wade is a better option than Hardin because he has the ability to stick around and make a patient ton but he can also be a great hitter. I think Haddin is limited to a quick half century and only occasionally converts

One of the big reasons not to pick 2 spin bowlers in India is that our first and second pick keepers are horrible up to the stumps. The Aussies are just asking for **** up after missed stumping after dropped nick if they pick either of them. Paine would be better only his hands are made of glass.

I don't know why Hartley has never at least been considered, probably the best keeper in the country and solid if not spectacular with the bat.

If he is ruled out with injury the selectors might finally have a look at Steve O'Keefe, I don't really rate him as a Test prospect but there isn't really anyone else.

Nathan Hauritz might be worth a look, if he's form is good in the Sheffield Shield. I have always thought he was unlucky to injure his shoulder, when it looked like his career for Australia was about to get going again.

O'Keefe has just taken 8 wickets against WA in the shield so if Beer is out surely he must be next in line.

So they've named a huge squad of 17.

David Warner, Ed Cowan, Phillip Hughes, Shane Watson, Michael Clarke (capt), Usman Khawaja, Steven Smith, Matthew Wade (wk), Glenn Maxwell, Moises Henriques, Mitchell Johnson, James Pattinson, Mitchell Starc, Peter Siddle, Jackson Bird, Xavier Doherty, Nathan Lyon.

Obviously the selectors don't rate O'Keefe at all when he's behind Doherty.

So they've named a huge squad of 17.

David Warner, Ed Cowan, Phillip Hughes, Shane Watson, Michael Clarke (capt), Usman Khawaja, Steven Smith, Matthew Wade (wk), Glenn Maxwell, Moises Henriques, Mitchell Johnson, James Pattinson, Mitchell Starc, Peter Siddle, Jackson Bird, Xavier Doherty, Nathan Lyon.

Obviously the selectors don't rate O'Keefe at all when he's behind Doherty.

But Doherty does spin the ball, doesn't he? I never saw Beer get much turn.

Back