Test XI Selection Thread

Jackson Bird and Mitchell Johnson will both play in the Boxing Day Test match.

Resting Mitchell Starc is pointless to me. Mitchell is fit and could of played in the Boxing Day Test match. You can't let previous injuries scare you away from picking the best players available. Cricket Australia need to look out new ways of managing their younger players better, to prevent injuries.

It will be a exciting time for Bird in the lead up to his debut. Hopefully he bowls well and can take a few wickets. Johnson is a good inclusion and should make the best of this opportunity.

It is looking like Clarke will play in the Boxing Day Test match but it is still touch and go.

The fact we have so many players coming in and out is a worrying sign. At least we can see how much depth we have.

Lack of cricket fitness is the thing that irks me. We seem to have so many players breaking down at the moment through injury and it's something that has been going on for quite some time. Whatever they are doing needs to be changed because it simply isn't working.

It has just been announced by Cricket Australia that Shane Watson has a left calf injury. He picked it up on the first day of the Boxing Day Test match, when he was bowling. He was right to bat and should be able to field. The decision on Watson bowling will be made later on in the test match. This shows us more evidence that the current workload management and rotation system is clearly not working. They leave Mitchell Starc out of the test match but Shane Watson is the one that gets injured. How many more injures to players need to happen before the way the players are being managed is reviewed?

Great to see another Victorian in Glen Maxwell get a chance. May see Lyon get rested with Starc coming in. Maxwell and Clarke should provide enough spin options on a turning sydney pitch

There are a lot of things that will/could change in the test team for Sydney.

Clarke - out (injured/rested) - Khawaja - in
Watson - out - (injured) - Maxwell in
Siddle - out (rested) - Starc in
Bird - out (dropped) - Starc in
Lyon - out - (rested) - Maxwell in

I think that covers some of the most likely ones to happen.

Clarke confirmed in his press conference that Starc will play in the Sydney test match. It is looking likely Bird will be the unlucky one to be dropped with Starc coming in. I think the selectors will keep Johnson in the team because of his good performance with bat and ball. Pat Howard also mentioned it is handy if a player can bat and bowl. With Watson being out of the Sydney test injured Mitchell Johnson looks like a good replacement. Maxwell is a interesting selection but the selectors have had him in their radar for some time. Good luck to him if he does make the final 11. Khawaja has been on the verge of making it into back into the test team for a while now. If he does finally get the chance to play I hope he can make a good score.

The retirement of Mike Hussey has certainly come out of left field. I would have thought he would have wanted to end his career with the back to back Ashes matches. Irrespective a great career and he will certainly be missed.

The selectors are going to have to earn their pay over the next few months, beginning with the Indian tour. This tour will have one of the most inexperienced Australian team to ever travel to the sub continent and it could get ugly. We have no quality spinners, and a batch of fast bowlers who seem to get injured bending over to tie their shoe laces and our batting stocks are at best ordinary. Then you have Rodney Hogg’s commandment: Thou shalt not take young fast bowlers to the Sub Continent.

Cowen: Honest batsmen but will struggle in India. 12 Tests @ 34.10
Warner: Well known to the Indians and they will be ready for him with their spinners. Needs to make big scores not 20’s and 30’s.14 Tests @ 44.68
Watson: Until he starts to make three figure scores his role as a number 3 will be questioned. Who else is there to put there aside from Clarke? 38 Tests @ 37.03
Hughes: Yet to be convinced.19 Tests @ 34.82
Quiney: Excellent technique, but failed on the big stage against the Sth Africans. Deserves another chance and would do well in India as he has played there: 2 Tests @ 3.00
Clarke: Only quality bat in the team. Will be under enormous pressure as the Indians target him. Will be required to bowl a lot of overs. 88 Tests @ 52.75
Khawaja: Looks good but a long time since he last played for Australia. 6 Tests @ 29.22
Wade: Has done a steady job but needs to make bigger scores especially when he gets a start. Much better than Haddin. 8 Tests @ 36.27
Johnson: Will get smashed on the Indian wickets. All rounder? No. 49 Tests @ 22.77 and 202 wickets @ 30.64
Siddle: Heart of Phar Lap and will give you everything. 36 Tests @ 14.90 and 138 wickets @ 28.50
Starc: Tall and strong bowler and could trouble some of the Indians. Will find India hard but will learn a lot from the experience. 6 Tests 24 wickets @ 29.21
Bird: Would take him to India as he bowls a tight line and can bowl long spells to support Siddle.
1 Test 4 wickets @ 15.25
Lyon: Needs support in India to work their batsmen over in tandem. 18 Tests 59 wickets @ 30.97

Remember Marcus North, Michael Beer, Steve Smith, Jason Krejza, Cameron White, Beau Casson, and ofcourse Dan Cullen. Any other spinners to add to this list?

Why does Quiney deserve another chance?? He made a pair one on the best batting deck in the country edging balls from Morkel and Kleinveldt that he should've left alone..

Why does Quiney deserve another chance?? He made a pair one on the best batting deck in the country edging balls from Morkel and Kleinveldt that he should've left alone..
Didn't see Hughes out there. Where was he? He was being protected by his mates, whilst Quiney was thrown to the wolves. If you also recall another Vic was droppped a couple of matches after scoring 203 n.o against South Africa and never played another Test even though he retired with an average of 55.89. I see Clarke is trying to convince people that Haddin is good enough to play as a batsman.What a joke. He must have a lot of confidence in Khawaja to be speculating about Haddin.

Starting XI for the Pink Vodafone Test:

Michael Clarke (c) NSW
Jackson Bird TAS
Ed Cowan TAS
Phillip Hughes SA
Mike Hussey WA
Mitchell Johnson WA
Nathan Lyon SA
Peter Siddle VIC
Mitchell Starc NSW
Matthew Wade VIC
David Warner NSW

Glenn Maxwell is 12th man.

I am very happy with this 11. The pitch isn't expected to turn much so leaving out Glenn Maxwell is the logical decision. The selectors must have been impressed with Jackson Birds's debut. I expect he will take a few more scalps in Sydney. Khawaja is again unlucky not to make the 11 but with Mike Hussey retiring he should gain a spot in the test team. On the other hand it is good to see Clarke is fit. Mitchell Starc regains his place in the team which I am happy with. Mitchell Johnson's performance at the MCG has warranted him selection as a genuine all-rounder, in the eyes of the selectors. Out of all of the rumoured restings none have actually happened.

Does anyone else think it is a little strange that the selectors talk about taking another keeper to England/India and yet have not mentioned Alex Doolan?

This would be my 12 for India if all were fit:

1. David Warner
2. Phillip Hughes
3. Usman Khawaja - Needs an extended run.
4. Michael Clarke
5. Alex Doolan - Good chance for doolan as a batsman, and can keep if wade is injured.
6. Matthew Wade
7. Shane Watson/Moises Henriques - If watson cannot bowl, he doesnt play simple!
8. James Pattinson - If injured replace with Mitch Johnson.
9. Nathan Lyon
10. Patrick Cummins - I guess Siddle comes in if Pat is ill.
11. Jackson Bird

12. Peter Siddle

Does anyone else think it is a little strange that the selectors talk about taking another keeper to England/India and yet have not mentioned Alex Doolan?

1. David Warner
2. Phillip Hughes
4. Michael Clarke
5. Alex Doolan - Good chance for doolan as a batsman, and can keep if wade is injured.
6. Matthew Wade
7. Shane Watson/Moises Henriques - If watson cannot bowl, he doesnt play simple!
9. Nathan Lyon
11. Jackson Bird

12. Peter Siddle
I think Alex Doolan is in the selectors mind and is hopefully the next batsman in line for a test debut. Phil Hughes didn't do too bad with the gloves in the last ODI. He is another option we have as a part time keeper.

I don't know how you have Peter Siddle as number 12. He is our most consistent bowler and makes the big break throughs that help Australia win matches. He should be the first test bowler picked in the team.

I would prefer if Shane Watson played as a all-rounder as well but he should still be in the side as a batsman before Moises Henriques. Henriques hasn't even played a test for Australia so picking him ahead of a experienced batsman in Shane Watson is a bad decision.

Ed Cowan needs a chance to prove himself before he is dropped. A few of his dismissals have been by run out and not his batting. This is a easy enough skill to improve and would help him make big scores with the bat.

James Pattinson and Patrick Cummins would be welcome inclusions in the team if they were fit. Mitchell Starc and Mitchell Johnson have bowled well in recent times so they a case to be included in the squad.

1. David Warner
2. Phillip Hughes
4. Michael Clarke
6. Matthew Wade
9. Nathan Lyon
11. Jackson Bird

12. Peter Siddle

Sorry off topic, but welcome to the forum! Nice to see new blood here :)

Adam Zampa is a promising leg spinner but I don't think he will have much impact in India. Nathan Lyon struggles to take wickets as it is so you need a spinner that can take wickets, to help him out. I think Xavier Doherty would be the best option to go with. He is capable of picking up wickets on turning pitches.

Adam Zampa is a promising leg spinner but I don't think he will have much impact in India. Nathan Lyon struggles to take wickets as it is so you need a spinner that can take wickets, to help him out. I think Xavier Doherty would be the best option to go with. He is capable of picking up wickets on turning pitches.

Lyon would be alright on spinning pitches as long as he doesn't bowl too flat.

He got a five for in his first match. The wicket was taking big spin.

Back