Test XI Selection Thread

I would say that Australia need a good spin bowler or two, and also they need a quality bat who can step up right now. Clarke can feed Australia and the tail isnt there to do double shifts.

Remember this bloke? Has 5 Test centuries and used to be criticized for being boring. Is in England playing County cricket, taking wickets and making runs.

Marcus North hit a brilliant 137 not out as Glamorgan made it two wins from two matches in this season's Yorkshire Bank 40 by overpowering a below-par Middlesex by 26 runs at Lord's.
Glamorgan skipper and former Australia batsman North led from the front. He hit 16 fours and three sixes in his 98-ball innings and featured in an unbroken stand of 156 in just 16.3 overs with Jim Allenby, who scored 69 not out from 50 balls.

Had a very weird Test career North.. Would either make a single digit score or a 100 and almost never anything in between.
Yeah he was just too inconsistent with his play. If he scored a few more centuries followed by more consistent scores in the 30/40 run mark, he might redeem a spot in the squad for longer.

When a kid playing his first test batting at 11 holds the highest score for Australia, you know are in trouble.
Compared to what we have now you would take him. At least he has managed to make 5 centuries.

Australia just need to stop focusing on T20 and start practicing for test matches. IPL isn't where Australia lies. Instead, players should focus on having the right mentality and fitness levels associated with Test, as this is by far the most important aspect of Australian cricket.

Australia just need to stop focusing on T20 and start practicing for test matches. IPL isn't where Australia lies. Instead, players should focus on having the right mentality and fitness levels associated with Test, as this is by far the most important aspect of Australian cricket.

As someone else mentioned. County cricket in England as well as Shield cricket in Australia is where they should be developing their skills. There should be a separate team for T20...seeing as it's not leaving the international game, anytime soon. Only players that have developed their test game can have a bit of fun in T20. Michael Clarke is the only one that comes to mind out of the batsmen.

As someone else mentioned. County cricket in England as well as Shield cricket in Australia is where they should be developing their skills. There should be a separate team for T20...seeing as it's not leaving the international game, anytime soon. Only players that have developed their test game can have a bit of fun in T20. Michael Clarke is the only one that comes to mind out of the batsmen.

Michael Clarke has earned his spot in the side. He has played consistently well (I am not just looking at last year) through his career. I do not believe he is a good captain though. The only reason he is the captain is because there were no other low-30yo in the side who had been playing for a long time

"The only time any of the test players play a game longer than a one dayer, is when they play a test. So how in the hell are they supposed to refine their longer version of the game when they never play it???" - a quote I got off the Australian Cricket Team FB page.

I think he makes a very good point... The international Test prospects need to stop playing so much international cricket, if it's not Test cricket and develop their games in four day cricket. Yes, it may weaken the ODI and T20 national squads but I still believe Test cricket is Australia's favourite format (I hope anyway).

Not like New Zealand where we've largely gone to the dark side. :(

Michael Clarke has earned his spot in the side. He has played consistently well (I am not just looking at last year) through his career. I do not believe he is a good captain though. The only reason he is the captain is because there were no other low-30yo in the side who had been playing for a long time

I'm not really a good judge on whether he's a good captain or not but I certainly believe that CA needs to make radical changes and maybe a new captain is one of them.

Yes, a new captain, but the problem is who?

Watson and Haddin have just returned, I wouldnt say any of the bowlers, and right now there are no other batsmen decent apart from Haddin

Interesting comments about North considering the performance of Watson and Co. Don't think going back is a good move though. In the end the guys who are there have to make a stand. That does not mean they have to get up and win all three tests, but win one and go down 2-1 would do just nice. As for Clarke there are no secrets about what i think but who to try? I can only think of Bailey and he has no test experience and i am not foolish enough to think he could be another Graeme Smith.

I like his captaincy but say you wanted to replace him who the hell with? Haddin lol? There is seriously ZERO viable options in the current side. The only thing I can think of is drafting in someone like Bailey to do it but that's obviously hardly ideal when there is every chance that they may not cut it as a Test player themselves.

Funny enough there is a rumour floating around on BFooty that Clarke is seriously considering retirement after the home Ashes because he's had enough of the game with his buggered back. Probably BS but you never know.

I like his captaincy but say you wanted to replace him who the hell with? Haddin lol? There is seriously ZERO viable options in the current side. The only thing I can think of is drafting in someone like Bailey to do it but that's obviously hardly ideal when there is every chance that they may not cut it as a Test player themselves.

Funny enough there is a rumour floating around on BFooty that Clarke is seriously considering retirement after the home Ashes because he's had enough of the game with his buggered back. Probably BS but you never know.
Bailey is fairly consistent in the shorter forms of the game, but I wouldnt trust him to play consistent in Test...

Remember this bloke? Has 5 Test centuries and used to be criticized for being boring. Is in England playing County cricket, taking wickets and making runs.

Marcus North hit a brilliant 137 not out as Glamorgan made it two wins from two matches in this season's Yorkshire Bank 40 by overpowering a below-par Middlesex by 26 runs at Lord's.
Glamorgan skipper and former Australia batsman North led from the front. He hit 16 fours and three sixes in his 98-ball innings and featured in an unbroken stand of 156 in just 16.3 overs with Jim Allenby, who scored 69 not out from 50 balls.

He's still the same inconsistent Marcus North, got dropped at one point from the Shield team last season he was performing so badly.

BUT at least, he can score tons. Nothing for 3/4 innings then a ton is better than nothing for 3/4 innings, then a 50 which is what we get now.

Why would you drop hughes we need to start giving people a chance bailey is good but to old. we need to start building from the start agar is good keep him in so he gets experince. bring back david warner and get hughes opening drop rogers to 4th and usman at 3 and also bring in faulkner he can bowl and knows how to hold his wicket while scoring runs. use agar as allrounder and bring lyon in or ashton turner.

Back