Test XI Selection Thread

I'm like you, I expect the same 11 or even 12 to go, so the test team plus Faulkner and Pattinson, after that it gets tricky and after that it gets a little more involved, using the one day squad as those most likely to have a chance to perform at the highest level, one of Finch, Marsh or Maxwell.
I like Doolan, Maddinson and Chris Lynn as well.
So 11 plus Faulkner as cover for Watson, Pattinson as cover for the bowlers, and then most likely Maxwell; and the wild stab in the dark of Doolan or Lynn. No reserve keeper and a 15 man squad seems big for three tests. :oops:

Bird must be considered as he has been bowling very well in the hit and giggle stuff which is stacked against the bowlers. Pattinson seems to get into injury trouble when he tours. He has had to come home in the last couple of tours so they will want to ensure he is 100% before they select him.

Why would Glen Maxwell go to South Africa? He's a T20 gun but no test player yet.
I'd expect the same 11 plus Faulkner, Wade, Bird and Doolan. Well actually, I'd have Katich in the team as usual, but the selectors won't go down that path. Pattinson should play Shield cricket and prove to the selectors he can handle a decent amount of cricket without breaking down with an injury.

Bird must be considered as he has been bowling very well in the hit and giggle stuff which is stacked against the bowlers. Pattinson seems to get into injury trouble when he tours. He has had to come home in the last couple of tours so they will want to ensure he is 100% before they select him.

Probably one to many at this stage. It will be the same 12 plus a bat and bowler with the young talent extras added on for experience. Probably Pattinson and Hughes as reserve with Doolan and Coultar-nile for the kids.
I know no one likes Hughes but he has weight of runs with the red ball this season and SA is a happy hunting ground

He's not in been in first class form for years. Talk about a wing and a prayer. I'm very annoyed about his selection. They could have picked his brother and I've have been less pissed off even though he's not a test cricketer's bootlace yet.

He's not in been in first class form for years. Talk about a wing and a prayer. I'm very annoyed about his selection. They could have picked his brother and I've have been less pissed off even though he's not a test cricketer's bootlace yet.

Lets hope he is the backup and Doolan is getting the first chance

Hope it works out for him but Shaun Marsh is very fortunate to be going to South Africa.

The thing that surprised me about Shaun Marsh was that he was 30. It only seemed like yesterday everyone was spruiking him as a Future Test player. It seems he has wasted all of his potential. Clearly Marsh he is a favourite in this new coaching structure as was Phil Hughes with Mickey Arthur.Now Marsh is battling injury as is Bird. George Bailey may yet get to go to South Africa.

The thing that surprised me about Shaun Marsh was that he was 30. It only seemed like yesterday everyone was spruiking him as a Future Test player. It seems he has wasted all of his potential. Clearly Marsh he is a favourite in this new coaching structure as was Phil Hughes with Mickey Arthur.Now Marsh is battling injury as is Bird. George Bailey may yet get to go to South Africa.

Would rather see Doolan get the chance with Maddison reserve. Bailey has had a go and is currently out of touch in all forms. Good to see Henriques getting another go, he did well in India.

Hughes would be a tad pissed me thinks.
Not now. It's is all in Hughes hands now. Probably the last time they will consider Marsh for a Test spot. Steyn is the best fast bowler in the world. He has pace and moves the ball. Played the last Test with a broken rib and still got 9 wickets. Let's see if Johnson & Harris can continue their form and rock the Boks!

Not now. It's is all in Hughes hands now. Probably the last time they will consider Marsh for a Test spot. Steyn is the best fast bowler in the world. He has pace and moves the ball. Played the last Test with a broken rib and still got 9 wickets. Let's see if Johnson & Harris can continue their form and rock the Boks!
Fantastic for Hughes. Lets hope the selectors give him the No: 6 spot and leave him there for the series rather than play musical chairs with him again. SA will suit Hughes, he likes the pitches and the bowlers, this could be his making or last chance.

Wondering what the selectors are up to recalling Marsh now he appears fit. Good luck to him, he will probably get a chance with Watson injured.

Watson & Marsh on the same tour is a recipe for disaster. There is only a few days break between the Tests so if anyone gets injured it is going to be pretty difficult to see them get back into the team. Again a lot of pressure on Clark. Warner will tee off and could get his regulation 20-50 if he is lucky. Doolan playing his first Test against the best bowling attack in the world will be a tad nervous. Interesting to see if they play Hughes or go with Moises Henriques as a back up bowler. Have to play Hughes and Smith can also bowl his tweakers. The flat track bullies india yet again lost another Test away from home. I will give them credit that they had a go at the total when they could have shut shop. One of the benefits of 20/20. Teams no longer afraid to chase the big scores. Looking forward to next summer when the Aussies smash them.

No matter who they choose out of Marsh, Hughes and Doolan, they are going to be up against it in the first test. Nice seamers pitch coming right up.

No matter who they choose out of Marsh, Hughes and Doolan, they are going to be up against it in the first test. Nice seamers pitch coming right up.
winning the toss should be the key, but you would think SA will be happy to bowl or bat first.

....and you guys doubted Marsh. Brilliant selection although it was painful watching him until Smith came in. Warner trying to make something out of nothing and Rogers copped a beauty. Morkel was bowling quick in addition to his height. Doolan looked good but got tied down. Smith was at his belligerent best. Looks like the selectors have a big call to make for the next Test...Watson or Dooley. The selectors don't like dropping players after one Test. 4/297 very strong position and need to get 450+.

If Chris Rogers fails again he could be in trouble. I would not be surprised if they dropped him for the next Test to get Watson in. If no he may take his bat and ball and go home.

Back