Test XI Selection Thread

Bit of WA bias probably?

I know I'd be the same if we were talking about a Vic player.

It probably seems that way but I genuinely believe he should be have been picked as he is the best option. Bancroft is a pure opener whereas Burns/Khawaja aren't and are being molded into being one when both are more suited to the middle order.

The Rogers/Warner partnership worked reasonably well and since Bancroft is a similar player I would have thought they'd go down that path. But I guess they want to try something different at the top of the order so we'll have to see how that pans out.

Burns averages just over 40 in FC cricket, Bancroft averages just under.

Burns has played test cricket before - successfully, albeit against a weak Indian touring side.

He has earned this chance, although that said if Bancroft had got the nod, his case was there too.

Bancroft is only 22, almost 23 - if he is good enough, he will get a chance at some stage.

Marsh deserves his opportunity. He is treading on thin ice though and another period of sustained failure could potentially end his career at test level. He must cash in on however many games he plays against West Indies which will likely be one at this stage.

It will be interesting to see who comes into the squad for Mitch Starc. Pattinson is guaranteed a spot for Hobart but from there it's a bit of a toss up as to who comes in. There are several candidates but none of them are in super form.

Burns averages just over 40 in FC cricket, Bancroft averages just under.

Burns has played test cricket before - successfully, albeit against a weak Indian touring side.

He has earned this chance, although that said if Bancroft had got the nod, his case was there too.

Bancroft is only 22, almost 23 - if he is good enough, he will get a chance at some stage.
Burns' technique worries me a little, especially as a Test opener. Seems a bit loose.

Burns' technique worries me a little, especially as a Test opener. Seems a bit loose.

Can't disagree with you. I had no complaints for Burns to get the opportunity for the NZ series (and he did average 44 over the 3 matches), but I guess stats don't necessarily tell the full story.

Bancroft I suppose is the big rival for this spot, but in 8 shield hits this summer he has passed 35 once, so is hardly making a case for his inclusion in the team.

I reckon the West Indies series is a good chance for all concerned to fill their boots!!!

Hey Ljp86 Ljp86 check out the melts on the BF cricket board over Nathan Coulter-Nile getting called up :D

I did read a little today, some quality melts in there.

In all seriousness, Coulter-Nile's selection is from left field. He's played one first-class game in eight months and his only match this season was a second XI game for WA where he was reported for dissent, suspended and then missed WA's game against Victoria last week.

He has the goods but there would be a few guys who would consider themselves unlucky. Considering all of that though he probably won't play anyway unless there is an injury or the third test at Sydney is a dead rubber and they decide to rest a few blokes.

In all seriousness, Coulter-Nile's selection is from left field. He's played one first-class game in eight months and his only match this season was a second XI game for WA where he was reported for dissent, suspended and then missed WA's game against Victoria last week.
Yeah I know, that's what makes it all the more funny. Just need someone like Agar to somehow get into the squad now ;)

Pretty much know zilch about Boland tbh.

Yeah I know, that's what makes it all the more funny. Just need someone like Agar to somehow get into the squad now ;)

Pretty much know zilch about Boland tbh.

I would've thought Jackson Bird is a bit unlucky at the moment!

That's great for Boland (Vic!) but I think he only has 5 wickets in an innings twice in FC cricket (incl his 7 vs WA at the wknd) - so the experience will do him good, but prob not really there at the moment!

Am I the only one a bit underwhelmed by the West Indies test series?

I would've thought Jackson Bird is a bit unlucky at the moment!

That's great for Boland (Vic!) but I think he only has 5 wickets in an innings twice in FC cricket (incl his 7 vs WA at the wknd) - so the experience will do him good, but prob not really there at the moment!

Am I the only one a bit underwhelmed by the West Indies test series?
They may be cautious with Bird because he hasn't played much recently has he? Also somewhat similar to some of the others in the side
I still doubt he'll be our long term opener.
Hey Ljp86 Ljp86 check out the melts on the BF cricket board over Nathan Coulter-Nile getting called up :D
Quality stuff, my favourite was someone suggesting Joe friggin Mennie for the test squad.

I even seen some people wanting George Bailey back in the side over S.Marsh, just ****ing lol.
I've heard worse, but as I posted over on BF, it is clear they have a pecking order and make changes because of it. Marsh was harsh to be made the scapegoat that he was.

I've heard worse, but as I posted over on BF, it is clear they have a pecking order and make changes because of it. Marsh was harsh to be made the scapegoat that he was.
He is obviously a frustrating cricketer in the whites and it was perfectly reasonable to question him getting selected before last Test, but he did bat very well and still almost nobody gives him any credit lol. I find the amount of flat out hate the bloke gets quite amazing really, you can tell that they are all just almost hoping he fails.

Anyone would think he was one of the all time worst ever players to get a game for Australia. I mean are guys like Klinger and Ferguson really that much likely to be better options?

He is obviously a frustrating cricketer in the whites and it was perfectly reasonable to question him getting selected before last Test, but he did bat very well and still almost nobody gives him any credit lol. I find the amount of flat out hate the bloke gets quite amazing really, you can tell that they are all just almost hoping he fails.

Anyone would think he was one of the all time worst ever players to get a game for Australia. I mean are guys like Klinger and Ferguson really that much likely to be better options?
It's actually disgusting the hatred he gets even after the test. If that partnership with him and Mitch doesn't happen, the Kiwis win. Even then some are openly critical of that innings. Can't win.

I'm surprised Ferguson hasn't knocked his way in already considering his start in ODI's. I'm doubt Klinger will be much better- Rob Quiney esque IMO.

So assuming he is fit and they want him in who makes way for Khawaja? For mine it should probably be between Burns or Mitch Marsh.

Back