The BaggyGreens Thread

So far in premier cricket first grade he is averaging a respectable 35.14 this season for the Mariners.
382 runs from his two Second X1matches LJ and that is a most respectable PC average for a 17 yr old playing against seasoned adult cricketers.
I have been watching Wyllie's development via coaching guru Tom Scollay as well as WA Premier Cricket. This kid will be a gun in both formats as he thrives on the role of the team anchor. Much like Steve Smith has.

Last edited:
As for a future side in five years it's sort of hard to say, I'll have a crack below.

Hunt/Street/Ward/Wyllie/Jewell
Labuschagne
Smith
Head/Maddinson/Renshaw
Green/M Marsh
Carey/Inglis/Peirson+
Cummins*
Neser/Richardson/Abbott/Paris
Swepson/Agar/Kuhnemann/T Sangha
Neil-Smith/Bell

Pretty rough estimate at a guess. I imagine there'll be other guys around the side I would have thought at tat time as well.
Yeh so purely on those we know. I'd leave out Jewell, Marsh, Abbott, Paris, Bell and Neser. I think Hazlewood will still be playing. Not Smith.
Street/Hunt/Ward
Marnus/Ward/Hunt
Pucovski
Green
Head/Renshaw/J Sangha/Wyllie
Inglis
Cummins
Richardson
Neil-Smith
Hazlewood
Swepson/T Sangha

Last edited:
After some hit and giggle the Baggy Greens are set for a rarity in March. a tour of Pakistan. Who will make our side.
Josh Hazlewood will certainly return. Well I dont see them changing an Ashes winning team. But CA this is the sub continent. Low, slowish pitches with not a lot of grass. Unless things have changed since we last toured there. Resident BC Pakistani B BabarAzamFan may be able to fill us in on that.

Last edited:
Cam Green talks to the media. A good listen into the mindset of this potentially exceptional cricketer.

Last edited:
After some hit and giggle the Baggy Greens are set for a rarity in March. a tour of Pakistan. Who will make our side.
Josh Hazlewood will certainly return. Well I dont see them changing an Ashes winning team. But CA this is the sub continent. Low, slowish pitches with not a lot of grass. Unless things have changed since we last toured there. Resident BC Pakistani B BabarAzamFan may be able to fill us in on that.

pitch will most definitely turn. would be very surprised if team didn’t play 2 spin option.

Last edited by a moderator:
No they not dust bowls. they will take some turn especially later in Test
Yet you suggest a two spin option. So the pitch will offer a good covering of grass to start the game.. something for batter and bowler then breaking up a touch, say on day 3 or four to allow the spinners into the game. Is that the case?

Baggy Greens sitting pretty after our first series.

Did I.. dont recall. I have not changed my views on Head. While he shows some technical improvement he is still not a solid Test batsman. He lacks the patience and concentration for that. Evidently Cummins has given Head a license to attack as he, like the rest of us knows he cant bat time. His two tons in the series were game changers but they were a product of his white ball background. He knew the correct time to push the button was when the ball was not doing much, England had a depleted attack with a couple of bowlers cooked and a lame duck spinner.
Ah yes the mercurial Travis.....can score a hundred in a session but can also knick off for nothing and play a dumb shot

That's what we are going to get with Travis Baggy I think we just have to be patient with him.....his best is brilliant and his worse looks village. I am a little considered with the short ball though...jumping around with feet in the air is not a good look...but he's not the only one I have issues with our top six playing genuine pace and the short ball this series.

I think trav has to play his natural game....which is to play his shots I don't think he is going to be a batter that is going to be a dour and fight for every scrap aka S Waugh

Its the balance we have to be patient with the natural flair/with the dumb shots.....because the upside is very good
W westend

Westie I moved that post to BC as I'd rather talk cricket with you here. Hope you dont mind. I think Corbies was having a crack at me for deleting a certain Trav post. So I replied. W westend

his best is brilliant and his worse looks village.
Yes but how long is he going to be able to maintain his best. Will our coach be happy with one decent innings in 6.
His track record aint all that flash. He has passed 50 only twelve times in 37 innings.
btw baggy is fine but prefer Baggers has have used that for past decade.

Last edited:
Yet you suggest a two spin option. So the pitch will offer a good covering of grass to start the game.. something for batter and bowler then breaking up a touch, say on day 3 or four to allow the spinners into the game. Is that the case?

most teams play 2 spin options in pakistan due to it very hot and turning wickets.

Young gun quick Jhye Richardson will be left out of the tour of Pakistan to play a T20 series at home. CA says he is being "rested to manage his longevity". Rested? He is only 25 and has missed much of the last two years. He needs to be playing not mothballed.
comment

Last edited:
The Australia Test squad for the tour of Pakistan has been named. : Pat Cummins (c), Ashton Agar, Scott Boland, Alex Carey, Cameron Green, Marcus Harris, Josh Hazlewood, Travis Head, Josh Inglis, Usman Khawaja, Marnus Labuschagne, Nathan Lyon, Mitchell Marsh, Michael Neser, Steve Smith (vc), Mitchell Starc, Mitchell Swepson, David Warner.

Young gun quick Jhye Richardson will be left out of the tour of Pakistan to play a T20 series at home. CA says he is being "rested to manage his longevity". Rested? He is only 25 and has missed much of the last two years. He needs to be playing not mothballed.
comment
Baggs They talked about this a couple of weeks back before everything blew up with langer etc..

They want him in the white ball format atm and then concentrate on the 2023 england tour.....and there has been some talk about him getting a county gig...which would give him experience with the duke ball which would be perfect for the 2023 england tour

I actually am happy they are going this way...as it gives us a chance in the short format against Sri lanka and I do not want him doing sweet fa on the pine in Pakistan.....espeically with Hazelwood back in the mix plus Boland

Plus you also have to consider COVID atm with WA based players which a lot of eastern staters do not consider IMO .....they haven't been home for a long time and Jhye is only young

No marsh in the short form because they want him home with his family....I am happy with that

As for a future side in five years it's sort of hard to say, I'll have a crack below.

Labuschagne
Smith
Head/Maddinson/Renshaw
Green/M Marsh
Carey/Inglis/Peirson+
Cummins*
Neser/Richardson/Abbott/Paris
Swepson/Agar/Kuhnemann/T Sangha
Neil-Smith/Bell

Pretty rough estimate at a guess. I imagine there'll be other guys around the side I would have thought at tat time as well.

Phillipe ???

My Australian side in 5 yrs.. (assuming Steve Smith, Josh Hazlewood have retired). Optimistic Australia will be a strong Test nation over the coming two decades
Ward, Hunt/Street, Marnus, Pucovski, Green, Philippe, Inglis, Aaron Hardie, Cummins, Neil-Smith, Richardson, T Sangha. Reserve bowlers: Morris/Grant/Perry/Swepson/Kuhnemann. Reserve batsmen: Sangha/Wyllie/Goodwin, Hearne. All rounders Tom Kelly, Mitchell Owen, Louis Smith.

Last edited:
Phillipe ???

Probably not in the mix for a red ball gig at this stage in my opinion unless the form in the longer form of the game of Carey and Inglis falls away and Phillppe has a good run over the next 12-18 months.

Probably not in the mix for a red ball gig at this stage in my opinion unless the form in the longer form of the game of Carey and Inglis falls away and Phillppe has a good run over the next 12-18 months.
That is my side in five years. From what I have seen from Josh this season he will be an integral part of our Test team by then. Now he has learnt patience and tweaked his technique.. ala Joe Root.. this kid can do special things in the baggy green. I see him keeping only in pyjama games. The Test keeper then will be Inglis with the promising Baxter Holt nipping at his heels. I have to say I have not felt this excited about our future since our glory days of the early 2000s.

Back