The BaggyGreens Thread

Paine has been our best ever keeper imo. Carey is good but still learning his game at this level. Is having a problem communicating with his slips cordon. But this will gel in time.

Zman I have sent you a welcome PM. Click envelope top r of page.
Hope to see you posting on the Ashes thread.

Josh Hazlewood is to miss the Hobart Test too. JH would have flourished on these seaming decks this series. What a crying shame that he has waited so long for helpful home tracks and finds himself missing them with injury.

CA says JH will rehabilitate in Sydney prior to the white ball series again NZ and Sri Lanka as part prep for the Test tour of Pakistan in March. Lets hope some part of that prep will be one or two Shield matches too. Josh will forget what a red ball looks like otherwise.

Paine has been our best ever keeper imo. Carey is good but still learning his game at this level. Is having a problem communicating with his slips cordon. But this will gel in time.

Big call on Paine. Healy and Rod Marsh were very good keepers, Paine was the better bat although played much fewer games.

Some good news on Will Pucovski. He will return to cricket shortly with his Melbourne club side and later the Vics state team. Will says he is raring to strap on the pads asap and says he wants to play Test cricket again if selected. This is telling the selectors that our most promising Test batsman this decade is now prepared to keep playing cricket despite his history of concussions.

Good to see Will returning to the game soon. He'll be another contender for an opening spot if he can build up his form and also stay fit during this period as well. Needs a good season or two at domestic level to prove himself going forward in my opinion.

Josh Hazlewood is to miss the Hobart Test too. JH would have flourished on these seaming decks this series. What a crying shame that he has waited so long for helpful home tracks then finds himself missing them with injury.

CA says JH will rehabilitate in Sydney prior to the white ball series again NZ and Sri Lanka as part prep for the Test tour of Pakistan in March. Lets hope some part of that prep will be one or two Shield matches too. Josh will forget what a red ball looks like otherwise.

Hazlewood certainly would have had a good time on the decks the series has had so far. If he isn't fit, time to get him ready for the ODI's against New Zealand and then again for the tour to Pakistan in March. I imagine he'll play some Shield cricket in readiness for the tests against Pakistan.

Last edited by a moderator:
He'll be another contender for an opening spot
Mate I think Australian cricket is well served with future openers. Bat Puck in the middle order with Cam Green where there does not look to be all that many next genners lining up.

I have great optimism for Australian cricket into the next two decades.

Last edited:
Mate I think Australian cricket is well served with future openers. Bat Puck in the middle order with Cam Green where there does not look to be all that many next genners lining up.
I don't see Puck playing at Australian level in tests.
I see him playing T20 for Australia and ODI's for Australia. Only because of the amount of concussions he's had.

Some good news on Will Pucovski. He will return to cricket shortly with his Melbourne club side and later the Vics state team. Will says he is raring to strap on the pads asap and says he wants to play Test cricket again if selected. This is telling the selectors that our most promising Test batsman this decade is now prepared to keep playing cricket despite his history of concussions.
I don't see Puck playing at Australian level in tests.
I see him playing T20 for Australia and ODI's for Australia. Only because of the amount of concussions he's had.
[/QUOTE]
I'd agree with you if that is what he wants and CA too but he wants to play Test cricket and once given the all clear by doctors so too will our national selectors. He'd have been picked in this series except he was not match hit having not played any of the Shield games leading in.

Last edited:
Hearing that an Australia A tour has been set down for Sri Lanka this year. Probably to run concurrently with the Baggy Greens tour in July. I see this as a good move by CA to have our Test fringers playing on turning decks to determine the best spin players needed for the India tour now set for early next year.

My Australian side in 5 yrs.. (assuming Steve Smith, Josh Hazlewood have retired).
Ward, Hunt/Street, Marnus, Puck, Green, Philippe, Inglis, Cummins, Neil-Smith, Richardson,T Sangha. Next in liners: Jayden Goodwin (WA), Lachlan Hearne (NSW), Fraser-McGurk (VIC), Corey/Tom Kelly (SA), Jason Sangha (NSW), Jarrod Freeman (TAS), Mitchell Webb (TAS), Matt Willans (QLD), Aaron Hardie (WA), Connor Sully (QLD); followed by promising juniors, Cooper Connolly, Teague Wyllie, Lachlan Shaw, Isaac Higgins, Hunar Verma, Louis Smith.
Optimistic Australia will be a strong Test nation over the coming two decades
Comments.

Hearing that an Australia A tour has been set down for Sri Lanka this year. Probably to run concurrently with the Baggy Greens tour in July. I see this as a good move by CA to have our Test fringers playing on turning decks to determine the best spin players needed for the India tour now set for early next year.

That's good, excellent for the guys in the second XI to also tour, play some games and get in match practice in an overseas environment. Will be interesting to see who goes from a spinning perspective given the pitches will take a lot of turn there.

That's good, excellent for the guys in the second XI to also tour, play some games and get in match practice in an overseas environment. Will be interesting to see who goes from a spinning perspective given the pitches will take a lot of turn there.
Thanks for posting here TJ. I do not want the thread to die as it is the major board to chat, debate, banter about elite level Aussie red ball cricket.

Did you watch the clip above of 14 year old Teague Wyllie from your home state. To have the natural ability to cover drive a ball that fast at such a young age spells big things for this now 17 year old batting prodigy.
Like to hear your views of what out Test side may comprise in five years.

Last edited:
Australian cricket needs people with vision running our game. CA and the ECB should've had an A/Lions series running concurrently with the Ashes. We are lagging behind India and England both of which play far more second tier cricket than us. The best Shield players need to know that they have a pathway thru which they can pursue a Baggy Green cap, rather than feel locked out by lack of international exposure..

Last edited:
Thanks for posting here TJ. I do not want the thread to die as it is the major board to chat, debate, banter about elite level Aussie red ball cricket.

Did you watch the clip above of 14 year old Teague Wyllie from your home state. To have the natural ability to cover drive a ball that fast at such a young age spells big things for this now 17 year old batting prodigy. Like to hear your views of what out Test side may comprise in five years.

I did watched the video you posted previously of Teague Wyllie. Wyllie is a jet, a super talented player from Rockingham-Mandurah who has a very bright future in my opinion. He has played two Second XI games for WA so far this season and hit back-to-back centuries, he's averaging 191 in the competition after four innings, quite a remarkable effort for a 17 year old who was barely 17 and a half in the first game he played against South Australia. So far in premier cricket first grade he is averaging a respectable 35.14 this season for the Mariners.

No doubt he will be offered a contract with WA in the coming off-season, probably as a rookie I'd say although there is the chance they may wait until the season after. Personally I think it will be this off-season given his form in the Second XI competition.

Australian cricket needs people with vision running our game. CA and the ECB should've had an A/Lions series running concurrently with the Ashes. We are lagging behind India and England both of which play far more second tier cricket than us. The best Shield players need to know that they have a pathway thru which they can pursue a Baggy Green cap, rather than feel locked out by lack of international exposure..

Our Second XI certainly need more exposure at the next level and more Australia "A" tours alongside overseas tours would be welcomed along with hosting home matches against other "A" sides in our summer. Given the Shield has a break for the BBL, it would make sense to have some Second XI cricket going alongside the test series so players can potentially earn a spot in the squad in the case of injuries, form, etc. It's something that should more often in my opinion.

As for a future side in five years it's sort of hard to say, I'll have a crack below.

Hunt/Street/Ward/Wyllie/Jewell
Hunt/Street/Ward/Wyllie/Jewell
Labuschagne
Smith
Head/Maddinson/Renshaw
Green/M Marsh
Carey/Inglis/Peirson+
Cummins*
Neser/Richardson/Abbott/Paris
Swepson/Agar/Kuhnemann/T Sangha
Neil-Smith/Bell

Pretty rough estimate at a guess. I imagine there'll be other guys around the side I would have thought at tat time as well.

Back