The BaggyGreens Thread

Poms hung on and are now back in the Ashes contest. No small thanks to poor bowling by specially Boland who went wicketless for the match. Starc had a terrific spell but needed help from his skipper and Marsh to finish em off once Stokes went cheaply. They were'nt up to the task.

Last edited:
Boland will be dropped and the bloke who should have played this game, Josh Hazlewood back in. Will Warner play or not. Cam Green will return so I'd have Head opening with Marsh at #6 or #7 and make Warner warm the bench while contemplating an earlier than previously announced retirement.

Last edited:
Stay classy England.

Hostile Ashes crowd ‘worse than bikies and killers’

Journalist Danielle Gusmaroli has covered riots, been teargassed and interviewed rapists, murderers and bikies, yet what she witnessed at the third Ashes test shook her. Read what happened

I’m not easily upset.

I’ve covered G8 summit riots and been tear-gassed and water-cannoned.

I have interviewed rapists, murderers and bikies, who have revealed unspeakable things to me.

I pride myself on my thick skin.

Yet after spending three days in Headingley’s Western Terrace — infamous for its raucousness and often violence — I concede I felt unnerved and intimidated.

The Barmy Army’s long standing default of labelling Australia cheats, even before Jonny Bairstow’s controversial stumping in the second Ashes Test at Lord’s, did not faze me.

But even Wonder Woman has her kryptonite.

The tipping point in the west side of Leeds ground that has hosted test cricket since 1899 came when the Barmy Army described an Aussie player — who I will not name — a “sex offender, a sex offender, a sex offender …”

Played on loop like an only-hits radio station, it was trolling at its nastiest and most litigious.

Yes, we all expect digs and jibes from impassioned supporters but this was next level.

Projectiles flew from the stands and the crowd hurled more abuse.

“Your mother takes it up the a***,” was one catch cry, targeted at a different Australian player.

“Travis gives good h**d,” they then spewed in a play on the middle-order batsman’s surname.

And “paedo” was hurled at another.

The worst behaviour I witnessed was on day three, after the game was delayed by nearly six hours because of rain.

Fans had returned from the pub, where they had killed time, glassy-eyed and unsteady on their feet for the start of play.

England fan Gareth Fare, 32, from north east Leicestershire, bleated “cheating Aussie bastards,” at players from the terrace front row before police ejected him from the stadium.

“Who have I offended?” he asked.

One of the three officers told him to apologise to the fans and leave.

“I apologised to the fans but I’m not saying sorry to the players — they’re out and out cheats,” he said, referring to the Bairstow incident.

He returned for the final day, stooping lower by ordering his friends to find as many cheating “Aussie bastards” as they could so they could call them a bunch of ‘wallaby shits’.

Let’s not forget, this came after England had won the third Test, at a time when they should be celebrating.

Earlier, former Australian skipper Steve Smith’s apparent pleas to the crowd to stop the pile-on fell on deaf ears.

Despite pressing his palms together, as if in prayer, the Barmy Army chanted “you’re no longer the captain,” in reference to the “sandpaper” cheating scandal in South Africa.

The language was caustic at times but it was more the aggression and venom with which it was delivered that offended.

I am British. These are me countrymen. It was shameful.

Former Australian cricket captain Kim Hughes, 69, told me at Leeds, “cricket fans have become more like football hooligans,” before chasing down a fan who asked him “is that your mistress you old c**t?

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Good to see Mitchey chip in with another score with bat, his bowling is more useful in England as well.

In saying that interesting decision to go all seam bowling attack and only very part time spin.

We were only able to snare two measly wickets in the final session while the Poms piled on the runs, not good enuff. Zilch from Cummins, Marsh and Heads 31 overs, giving away almost 200 freebies mostly to a bloke who struggles to average @30 from 37 Tests. 😡

We were only able to snare two measly wickets in the final session while the Poms piled on the runs, not good enuff. Zilch from Cummins, Marsh and Heads 31 overs, giving away almost 200 freebies mostly to a bloke who struggles to average @30 from 37 Tests.

The luck Crawley was getting was so irritating.

I watched until he was on 70, he almost chopped on 3 times, played and missed throwing his hands at a wide one at LEAST a dozen times and the one he did edge fell short. It’s got to be the shittiest hundred I’ve ever seen.

Pretty ironic that he ended up getting out by chopping it on from a pull shot.

I watched until he was on 70,
Bout the same with me, 2-150 they were and clear signs that this deck was becoming even more docile than the others. Proved to be the case with runs coming at a fair clip from some inept bowling. Poms batting as in a white ball game, so why arent we bowling as in one too, with change ups, wide yorkers , slow bouncers etc instead of dishing up length ball after length ball.

Last edited:
Back