The BaggyGreens Thread

That ball change lost us the game imo. Pretty ridiculous that a 40 over old ball that’s just reversing slightly gets swapped for a hard, shiny ball that still has the gold writing on it and starts seaming and conventional swinging around corners. Apparently it was bouncing more too.

Bullshit.

Ik it’s not like we were dominating the match overall, but Warner and Khawaja were definitely looking set to chase down the score all by themselves.

It’s supposed to be a like for like replacement. They also said they didn’t have any that were any closer. That’s EVEN WORSE imo, why are they not prepared for a 40 over old ball to be worn out, I don’t think I’ve seen an innings in England where ball hasn’t been changed out around the 40 over mark.

That ball change lost us the game imo. Pretty ridiculous that a 40 over old ball that’s just reversing slightly gets swapped for a hard, shiny ball that still has the gold writing on it and starts seaming and conventional swinging around corners. Apparently it was bouncing more too.
There needs to be something said by the ICC over this debacle as that newish Dukes stopped our momentum in its tracks. Like Dave said, I reckon that target was achievable, more so if given a level playing field, which went pear shaped once the Pom quicks got that changed ball in their hands.

Last edited:
There needs to be something said by the ICC over this debacle as that newish Dukes stopped our momentum in its tracks. Like Dave said, I reckon that target was achievable, more so if given a level playing field, which went pear shaped once the Pom quicks got that changed ball in their hands.
Yeah I got to admit that the idea of them not having a back-up ball of similar condition seems pretty shoddy and I can fully understand your annoyance. Thing is where would they get such a ball? One of things the bowlers have been moaning about is the difference in ball quality over the last three years, I don't know enough about it, but to have such a range of options for spare balls would rely on collecting the balls from each of the tests over a number of years surely? Nearly new balls obviously being relatively rare, as sides are not that frequently bowled out in the first session or two, so it's quite easy to see that given the inconsistency of the ball manufacturing which seems to be one issue and the infrequency of new balls because of previously highlighted point would suggest that the range of balls available pitch-side would be very limited?

Look I know nothing about it but I just assumed that they did something like have the balls be used in the nets for so many overs to create them.

Yeah I got to admit that the idea of them not having a back-up ball of similar condition seems pretty shoddy and I can fully understand your annoyance. Thing is where would they get such a ball?
Dave the Dukes owner has launched an inquiry into the debacle but as yet the ICC is still very quiet over the subject, despite Aussie great and MCC life member Ricky Ponting calling for an investigation. C'mon ICC show some teeth, to see this never happens again. Now hearing that the chosen ball was five years old :eek:
This has put a dampener on the series.
Look I know nothing about it but I just assumed that they did something like have the balls be used in the nets for so many overs to create them.
That sounds like the sensible thing, absolute nonsense that they did not have a similar ball. How difficult would it have been to rub a newer ball into the dirt to resemble the old one, that has been spoken about.

I wouldn't imagine that they'd be using £90 balls or whatever they cost in the nets? But in order that a similar thing couldn't happen again might be an idea - £2000 worth of brand new balls use them in the nets for differing amounts of deliveries and Voila - balls of differing condition?

I wouldn't imagine that they'd be using £90 balls or whatever they cost in the nets? But in order that a similar thing couldn't happen again might be an idea - £2000 worth of brand new balls use them in the nets for differing amounts of deliveries and Voila - balls of differing condition?
Look I've honestly always thought since I was a kid 30 years ago that's what they would do, just simulate a set of replacements some way like that. Also it's mainly just an upfront cost and then perhaps an average of around one 90 pound ball getting used per Test?

Actually watching one day cricket back in the day in Australia when they only used 1 ball per innings it got to the stage where it was getting replaced every single match under lights was probably what got me thinking about where they were getting so many of them from.

Australia A v New Zealand A series

Australia A four-day squad: Wes Agar, Cameron Bancroft, Jordan Buckingham, Ben Dwarshuis, Caleb Jewell, Campbell Kellaway, Matthew Kelly, Matthew Kuhnemann, Nathan McAndrew, Nathan McSweeney, Joel Paris, Jimmy Peirson, Mitch Perry, Josh Philippe, Mark Steketee, Mitchell Swepson, Tim Ward

First four-day match: August 28-31, Allan Border Field

Second four-day match: September 4-7, Great Barrier Reef Arena (D/N)

Is a touch bowler heavy with only seven bats. While the attack is solid it does lack sheer pace without Lance Morris and Spencer Johnson. Assuming Morris is still injured while Johnson has a good reason to miss out as he has been chosen in his first national team for the white ball Saffer tour, along with Aaron Hardie. Tim Ward has also made it on top of being chosen to tour the iconic MRF Cricket Academy in India along with Will Sutherland (white ball squad) and Campbell Kellaway.

Last edited:
Australia A v New Zealand A series

Australia A four-day squad: Wes Agar, Cameron Bancroft, Jordan Buckingham, Ben Dwarshuis, Caleb Jewell, Campbell Kellaway, Matthew Kelly, Matthew Kuhnemann, Nathan McAndrew, Nathan McSweeney, Joel Paris, Jimmy Peirson, Mitch Perry, Josh Philippe, Mark Steketee, Mitchell Swepson, Tim Ward

First four-day match: August 28-31, Allan Border Field

Second four-day match: September 4-7, Great Barrier Reef Arena (D/N)

The attack lacking sheer pace without Lance Morris and Spencer Johnson. Assuming Morris is still injured while Johnson has a good reason to miss out as he has been chosen in his first national team for the white ball Saffer tour, along with Aaron Hardie. Tim Ward has also made it on top of being chosen to tour the iconic MRF Cricket Academy in India along with Will Sutherland and Campbell Kellaway.

Morris has been sighted in full training gear on WACA socials so he should be fine. He was also supposed to be fully recovered 2 months ago. I think he had more of a niggle than an actually stress fracture or anything, so he was more deloading more than anything else.

Sucks not to see him because imo he’s our No. 1 young fast bowler in shield.

Morris has been sighted in full training gear on WACA socials so he should be fine. He was also supposed to be fully recovered 2 months ago.
Really then am dumbfounded as I was under the impression he was a cert for the Ashes before having to pull out. Also no Mike Neser, surely worthy compo for not playing a Ashes match, despite many saying he should have played at least one. Also Marnus' experience would have been invaluable for the rookie bats but was only picked in the white ball team..

Really then am dumbfounded as I was under the impression he was a cert for the Ashes before having to pull out. Also no Mike Neser, surely worthy compo for not playing a Ashes match, despite many saying he should have played at least one. Also Marnus' experience would have been invaluable for the rookie bats but was only picked in the white ball team..

I think they mentioned that they didn’t include anyone that was in the ashes squad, which is why there’s no Harris or Renshaw in the 4 day squad.

But yeah, I can’t think of a reason why they haven’t picked Morris. Other than him being rusty and requesting to not play?

I don’t agree with Marnus playing, he’s one of the best bats in the world so taking up someone else’s place in the side seems weird and a little unfair.

I think they mentioned that they didn’t include anyone that was in the ashes squad, which is why there’s no Harris or Renshaw in the 4 day squad.
Renshaw I am ok with but want one of either Henry Hunt or Tim Ward as next cab off the rank when Ussie calls it a day. Bancroft had his chance to cement a long term spot, but both his technique and morals let him down. Time for fresh blood to open our innings.

Last edited:

But yeah, I can’t think of a reason why they haven’t picked Morris. Other than him being rusty and requesting to not play?

I don’t agree with Marnus playing, he’s one of the best bats in the world so taking up someone else’s place in the side seems weird and a little unfair.
Marcus Harris shouldn't be anywhere the Australian team again.

The bloke is pure utter trash.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

Green def looks back in better form.

He looked horrible in the SA series but seems much better this series.

Unlucky with 2 runouts and got out trying to go after a spinner in the 43rd over which happens.

This is a bloody world cup and the Aussies are going into it in a shambles.

Just read that we have won the last ODI, big deal, one match in last six warm ups. We were thrashed in the other five. Why isnt Josh Philippe playing in this comp as he is perhaps our best player of spin and it is being played in the spin capital of the world.

Just ran thru the WC playing strips and dead set our ASIC designed pyjamas is the most drab, least stylish of all teams. And hello CA, Australian gold is not canary yellow. Take a squizz at past WC outfits, they had our correct Aussie gold, aka Kangaroos, Wallabies even our soccer players.

Our girls thrashed the Windies in the first T20 of their series yesterday.

I predicted the Canaries being knocked out before the WC finals and two losses from two starts has me on track. To say we bowled, batted and fielded to world standard the past six ODIs is a joke. This mob is embarrassing us in front of the world.

I predicted the Canaries being knocked out before the WC finals and two losses from two starts has me on track. To say we bowled, batted and fielded to world standard the past six ODIs is a joke. This mob is embarrassing us in front of the world.

I don’t know what’s happened to them tbh.

We were looking really good until that third SA match where we just completely lost our shit.

I don’t know what’s happened to them tbh.

We were looking really good until that third SA match where we just completely lost our shit.
No excuse for such a miserable two games as plenty of these guys play in these conditions in IPL. For instance Stoinis plays at this ground for his IPL side so should have known it faithfully. He should be the first to go and make way for Green and then stick with him to give him confidence, not in one game out the next, as the big man has the potential to be a match winner in this format. Useless selectors.

Back