The batting powerplay

Re: ICC Champions Trophy 2009

just take it when you need it. there is no magic behind it. need runs, then go go go power play and bash a few. last 10 overs should be agressive any way ideal time to take it is about 35-40. mess the bowlers up and make the skipper bring on his death bowlers early doors innit

swghayward79;366816 said:
just take it when you need it. there is no magic behind it. need runs, then go go go power play and bash a few. last 10 overs should be agressive any way ideal time to take it is about 35-40. mess the bowlers up and make the skipper bring on his death bowlers early doors innit
I'm sorry but it doesn't work out like that. If it did work out like that some teams wouldn't be bothered taking it.

swghayward79;366816 said:
Thats the other good point, its more overs the opposition has to find for their best bowlers, most captains bring back their best for the powerplay, that leaves less for them to bowl late in the innings and you can get some crap bowlers on during the first half of the death overs

But the one tactic you dont often see used at International level is 2 set batsmen going well when atleast 1 is very capable of being aggresive then would be a great time to boost the runs a bit, too often an aggressive batsman will put on a good partnership but get out before they take it and that can lead to collapses

I've yet to see a team consistently use the batting powerplay well. In fact, more often than not it results in a mini-collapse with guys getting carried away.

In a FR Cup one time, SA were cruising to victory, with about 30 runs needed off 5 overs and a lot of wickets left, and Darren Lehmann realised he'd forgotten to take powerplay, and thus was forced to take it at the 45th over. They lost 3 or 4 wickets in that time and ended up barely crawling over the line with a few balls left.

The mentality with which teams approach the powerplay needs a bit of revision, I think. Leaving it till the last 5 overs seems somewhat pointless because the batsmen will be trying to indiscriminately smash everything anyway, and a couple of extra gaps in the field will rarely make a huge difference. Conversely, taking it in the middle overs runs the risk of batsmen getting carried away, losing 2 or 3 quick wickets and putting the whole innings on the back foot.

You could make the argument that using it as early as possible is often the best option, as the fielding restrictions have already been in place for at least 10 overs and the batsmen will not have to change their game that much, as well as the advantage of having a newer, harder ball to hit.

well we cant tell in international cricket until it has been tried and tested.

teams will have to experiment. its obvious that the way they are doing it now is the way they have researched to be the best. we cant change the way they organise their teams in accordance with the strategies they wish to use.

international cricket is much different to domestic cricket. assumptions cant be made from one to the others. we will have to wait and see.

it has taken 4 years now for T20 strategies to really develop. i expect longer for the powerplay.

i would like to see a team take the batting powerplay straight after the allotted 10 overs at the start. just for a mix up, i think if the openers get away to a flyer they could use that well.

also a question: if both sides want to take the powerplay at the same time what happens? which overrules which?

and is there any other strategies for the bowling powerplay? do they need to take it straight away or can they use it to their advantage if a couple of quick wickets fall?

The bowling powerplay is usually always taken straight away, although if the opposition get off to a flier they generally hold it back untill they get a wicket or 2

Only real strategy with it otherwise may be you have a batsman in who you feel is suspect against spin so you bring on the spinner and hold back the powerplay

eddiesmith;366879 said:
The bowling powerplay is usually always taken straight away, although if the opposition get off to a flier they generally hold it back untill they get a wicket or 2

yeah i know that, but is there a way of taking it late in the match without relying too much on luck and use it more effectively?

ive seen it plenty of times were the batting powerplay is taken and the team loses wickets and they get bogged down, its effectiveness is reversed.

therefore the bowling powerplay can do the same thing. im just not sure how without risking too much.

It basically comes down to smart uses of your bowlers by the captain, you dont want to use up too many overs of your best 2 bowlers straight up so it is possible you hold it back and bring those 2 back on in the later part of the innings and build the pressure, could backfire though especially if they havent used their batting powerplay, they get on top and its 10 straight overs late in the game of big hitting

yes, it is risky.

i was also thinking later in the innings, maybe the 30th over if one or two wickets fall. then use it to tie down the players and it gives you the chance to bowl your good bowlers to them in the hope of more wickets and frees up the first overs from that restriction.

bowl your best bowlers first but only for say four overs each or even less. then bring on the not so good bowlers for the time when the powerplay is normally taken.

not sure if that would work, and its reliant on those couple of vital things like the wicket falling, but i think it would make a difference with the fact the other team definately doesnt expect it.

at that time though there are quite often large partnerhips though... wouldnt want to take it then.

or my idea and just scrap powerplays altogether.

If you have say a Michael Clarke batting and doing ok in a large partnership then a powerplay could be used to totally shut him down and make him do something stupid, of course the fielding side can bring up the field anytime they like, although it seems the captains never have more than 1 more person up than they are allowed

Interesting in tonights game Sri Lanka didnt take it when Ryder was blasting them, NZ probably should have taken theirs at that stage, but now with wickets falling Sri Lanka seem to have forgotten about it

that seems like a good plan, but very reliant on risk. how do you know that michael clarke like batsman will be in at that time before the game?

well there is only one way to find these things out. do it.

Interesting use of it tonight, Australia have taken it at the right time due to external factors, although you may have liked another over or 2 for White to get in, but whilst they want to make maximum use of it, they have to be extra careful not to lose wickets due to D/L

My theory is simple.

Teams have been racking up massive scores for years without the powerplay.

Whether subconciously or not, when a team takes a batting powerplay the batsmen seem to start stressing after a few dot balls - which are more likely to occur now that the field is up. Consquently, batsmen start thinking they need to made advantage of the powerplay and throw the bat. Often wickets fall - which in turn derails a promising start.

To prevent this, it's best to take the powerplay in the last 10 overs, with wickets in hand, as now the pressure is off and the happy-hour can be coupled with the field up.

It is easy to score at 10 an over during the powerplay when your throwing the bat. As such its possible to score 80 off the last 10 overs - which is a massive bonus at that time of the innings.

Edward's assertion that you'd score 80 off the last 10 overs with or without a powerplay is crap, keep it simple, take it at the end.

Re: The batting powerplay

I think the reality is that it is a massive headache. The umpires have a nightmare in remembering to make the windmill. Some have not even heard the batsmen saying it to them. (The case of the Collingwood and Smith in the Champions Trophy).

Scoring 80 in the last ten over is a dream but not a reality.The one thing we all are forgetting is the wicket that they are playing on. Also the rate of wickets down should not be forgotten. The logical thing for me would be to take it when the ball is changed. The truth is that there are too many factors to be taken in consideration to make a general assumption about it..

ive given up thinking about it.

take it when ian chappel starts yelling at them while commentating.

Boris;368031 said:
ive given up thinking about it.

take it when ian chappel starts yelling at them while commentating.

Yes, well.. the man knows absolutely everything ;):)

But how do the batsmen find out in the middle?

Any ideas? Or does Chappell just shake his fist out the window, or maybe he could drop his trousers like he did all those years ago?

well he seems to always be right in the commentary box. he was the captain that in a crucial ashes test when walking onto the field told the team to "just spread out boys, just spread out." and it worked.

do the teams listen to the commentary? i know they watch it but do they listen to it as well? because some commentators know just whats happening, especially ex-captains.

but the shaking fist and pants dropping does work too.

Back